Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

2018 Arctic Wolf 265dbh8 review

Started this on another forum, so i thought i'd start it here as well.

Thought i would start a thread for owners of this rig to share the pros & cons they've found with this rig so far along with any tips/tricks/upgrades they have done to theirs.
Please edit your existing post as you think of things to minimize the number of post folks have to read through.

PROS
-The pivoting hitch is really nice (i'm new to FW so not sure if this is a normal feature). Not only can you push it out of the way when the camper is parked to avoid running into it while walking around the camper, but if you need to tweak it a bit while trying to hitch up the rig it makes it easier than trying to back in and realign.

CONS
-Outside storage is minimal at best. The "basement" is the only outside storage which is located in the front. The only other option you would have is to ditch the outdoor kitchen and convert that to a storage bin which is located in the far back with the door on the main entrance side.
-The metal extrusion for the outdoor grill was mounted below my outdoor kitchen door. Not only does this make it to low for even the shortest of short folks, but it does not properly support the included grill and mount as there is no camper sidewall left for it to rest against. Not sure who put this on, but i don't think they thought this through very well.
-Interior storage and cabinetry. I'm 6'5" and i can barely reach the highest shelves of the cabinets. Also, in the corner behind where the TV goes, you have 3 extremely large cabinets. Anything other than blankets or soft goods would likely roll/slide around in here. So i suspect i will have to build some sort of shelving system or get creative with bins or something of that nature.
-Was loading up the drawers below the dinet seats last night and the bottom of the drawer fell out. Pulled the drawer all the way out and sure enough, not a drop of glue and all the staples were driven either to deep or only half the leg of the staple made it into the plywood. So i glued and nailed the entire thing, should be good to go now.

TIPS/TRICKS/UPGRADES
-Under the bottom is some dead space. Part of the space underneath is the outdoor kitchen. But the other half or so is unused space. On my rig, there is a small triangle of plywood that was not secured down. So i popped it out and boom, a bunch of storage space. So i cut a small 1.5" hole into the plywood with a hole saw for a finger hole to easily remove the plywood piece. Good space for infrequent items and best part it's behind the axle to minimize extra weight on the pin!

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #2

Ive always wondered how the lighter 5ers do. I was looking at some light weight models but then went the other direction and bought a 14-16k 40 foot beast. How do you like it so far, 1st 5er? How does it tow?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
Ive always wondered how the lighter 5ers do. I was looking at some light weight models but then went the other direction and bought a 14-16k 40 foot beast. How do you like it so far, 1st 5er? How does it tow?
First 5'ver.
I've only towed it home free the dealer so far (less than 10mi). Towed pretty good...especially since i've got a half ton with the max trailering package.
Tonight is the maiden voyage!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

I guess at around 9k lbs it's super light, I'm curious to see a more detailed review after some usage. Enjoy it!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #5

Well the maiden voyage went great this weekend.

Only issue we had was the fridge opened during the drive there and a gallon of milk fell out and busted open. I knew that goofy/useless sticky push knob thing-a-bobber wasn't gonna do squat. Since the fridge in this rig is a household type (no locking doors), i'll need to rig something up to keep the doors closed during travel.

My rig and TV combo worked well together! Aside from the occasional chucking when the joints in the road got uneven, everything else went good. Average 10.8 mpg over a 170 mile round trip. Only hairy part for me was on the back country roads that got really narrow i felt like i was hugging the centerline and edge of the pavement....but that'll just take time to get used to.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #6

Our first setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOTW Camping 2.jpg
Views:	2528
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	148175  

Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
Well the maiden voyage went great this weekend.

Only issue we had was the fridge opened during the drive there and a gallon of milk fell out and busted open. I knew that goofy/useless sticky push knob thing-a-bobber wasn't gonna do squat. Since the fridge in this rig is a household type (no locking doors), i'll need to rig something up to keep the doors closed during travel.

My rig and TV combo worked well together! Aside from the occasional chucking when the joints in the road got uneven, everything else went good. Average 10.8 mpg over a 170 mile round trip. Only hairy part for me was on the back country roads that got really narrow i felt like i was hugging the centerline and edge of the pavement....but that'll just take time to get used to.
We are looking at the Artic Wolf with the separate bunkhouse for when we upgrade. I liked the 265's layout but it was the same things as our bumper pull 26dbh and seemed just as lite on storage as you found.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #8

Awesome. Sounds like it worked out good for you. Congrats and enjoy it.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
Our first setup!

Awesome pic. We just purchased the same 5th wheel. It's our first 5th wheel. Super excited to go on our first trip. Please let me know if you have any issues as I would like to be prepared. Hahaha. Looks great.
monsie_lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #10

I was wondering what type of sheets did you use for the bunks in the back. I've tried to look on amazon to find fitted sheets for the bunks.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsie_lineman View Post
I was wondering what type of sheets did you use for the bunks in the back. I've tried to look on amazon to find fitted sheets for the bunks.
I would be shocked if you found fitted sheets for those mattress' given their odd shape on the end. I believe we just used twin sheets and tucked them under where there's excess. Honestly, with my 10 year old it doesn't really matter. I don't know what he does when he sleeps but it looks like a bull ran through there as everything is usually in a ball in the corner or on the floor in the morning!

Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #12

Modification Update

As noted in my original post, storage space is limited on this rig. I originally posted a mod about adding a hole to access the dead space under the bottom bunk in the rear. While all fine and dandy, we've since decided to completely ditch the "outdoor kitchen" and make that storage.

So i removed the fridge and took out the back wall the outdoor kitchen area which leads to the storage area under the bunk where i mod'ed the access panel i mention above. I re-purposed and or re-positioned all the lumber in this back wall so it didn't require anything extra to construct or reduce the structure and support of the bunk.

Basically when you take the plywood panel off, it's a 2x2 picture frame behind it with a single 2x2 stud running vertical. I simply moved that stud to the right a couple inches. This allowed me to build a box around the flexible vent tube so that when cargo is pushed into this new area, it won't crush the vent. I reused the existing plywood to cover the box and make it look finished.

I forgot to take pictures of this but i will the next time i empty this area out.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #13

Perfect. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
Wrench Turnin Fool

We put a deposit on the 315TBH8 this weekend..., can't wait to take delivery.
Where did you get that carpet? It looks like it matches the trailer graphics.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #15

Artic Wolf 28.5

I love it! We are going on our 2nd trip next week. So far, I have only seen ONE on the road. My husband and I are new to RVing. I would appreciate any information you can share. We have blundered through auto leveling, getting the DVD player to work (cables weren't hooked up to the player)(needed a "square" tool to take the cabinet wall out to get to it!), lights not coming on (switch in the center you turn on w/o a switch, revamped the bed platform (make a bed ruffle from a cloth shoe holder and covered edge of wood w/baby bumper material)(added a 4" cushion on top--super comfy). Ours pulls great w/2005 GMC 2500 Sierra Crew 4x4. We bought ours in Little Rock @ RV City from Scott. No problems w/anything so far. I am going to add rubber stair treads and a hand rail on the outside wall next.
Doc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Most RVs are made using the square drive Robertson bits.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #17
Wrench Turnin Fool

Robertson screws stay on the driver and torque well

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #18

Back from our 2nd trip! All went well. I still want to add a handrail on the outside wall where the inside stairs are located. Any pointers?
Doc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #19
Wrench Turnin Fool

Q: do you have the folding cargo rack/spare tire rack? My salesman is telling me it doesn't exist

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Old 10-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Q: do you have the folding cargo rack/spare tire rack? My salesman is telling me it doesn't exist
I just stumbled on to this site, so bear with me. Mine has one but I modified it to be solid & mounted a generator on it.
As far as a reviews I've got about 2000 miles on mine & I think they are put together like a piece on crap.
First time out AC didn't work, now to find out cable for the tv doesn't seem to be hooked up someplace. TV won't work with the cable hooked up outside so tonight I have it hooked direct to the tv.
As for a trying to stay warm in it, well 2nd night of our trip it got to 23 deg. & use just about a 20 lb. tank.
I would really like to bring it back to the dealer & tell him to stick it!!
When you pay nearly 50K for something it should be better!
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote