Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #1

2018 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS

Husband and I are diving into the camper world after one of our buddies got a steal on a 21 ft camper -$6,000 that's practically brand new.

However, we weren't as lucky. After looking at a couple of used ones and spending the day at Camping World. We decided a new one was the best option for us. Luckily, a dealer close to home made us a deal on a 2018 wolf pup 16bhs for $13,000 out the door. Side note: I'm hoping that's a good deal. We are new to all of this and I have researched multiple forums up and down.

We have an 2003 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 v8 that will be used to pull the camper. I understand these items may not be necessary but safety is at the top of the list. I've searched on google for trailer brakes, sway bars, and weight distribution - all of which turns thousands of results up. Prices range a lot also. My question is do you have certain brands/model that you prefer for these items? I've also heard about friction control that's was $50 on amazon? I don't need anything special or added just something to get the job done. What could I expect to pay for those?

Please help!
mcflip32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

Its a fair price. The RV dealer I got mine from in Omaha currently lists
them at $11,000 online.
1201alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #3

I'm looking at getting a Wolf Pup Toy hauler from that same Ohama dealer, seems worth the short drive to save a few grand.. locally the cheapest I found was $13k new, only used one locally is asking same price as Ohama is new.

I'd pay a grand more to save me traveling and to have a local dealer, but for two grand its not worth it as I'm the kinda person whom enjoys voiding warranties.
dreadlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #4

Congrats on your new trailer!

Your trailer should come with breaks. You will need a break controller if you don't have one built in to your avalanche. Not sure of the cost there because mine came with the truck.

I would highly suggest looking at WDH with sway control instead of just friction sway control (these are $50). You appear to be on the higher end for your TV payload so I would get a good system. See if your TV requires it as mine did over 500lbs tongue weight and you at 600ish from specs I saw at max weight. There should be a sticker on the bottom of the reciever for your TV.

You should also check your payload to make sure you will not be overweight. It is a sticker on the driver door.

The two most popular with both WD and sway seem to be equalizer 4point and blueox sway pro from what I have seen on the forums. Reese and draw tite make them as well. Friction works for smaller trailers but I would avoid it on larger ones and get something more proactive. If you require a wdh anyway you will need more than just a friction sway bar so the $50 is not going to happen.

Feel free to search the forums for lots of various opinions on these systems. I would suggest going to etrailer and putting in your TV info and see what they suggest as well and read options like is it important to you to backup without unhooking.

If you have specific questions ask here (people are helpful and opnionated) or call etrailer. They helped me a lot before buying on the phone and via chat.

I would expect to spend between 300 and 600 on WDH hitch.

Another option if you don't need wdh....you decide you want to spend 3000 on a Hensley...people who have them swear by them but I could not use it because there is zero weight distribution and they are heavy.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #5

The Wolf Pup 16 BHS is a single axle trailer with a little over 3500 lbs GVWR (the axle actually is only good for 3500 lbs, the rest goes on the hitch). You might not need a weight distributing hitch with sway control. With my 16 FB and 1500 truck I end up with 3050 lbs front axle, 3000 lbs rear axle, and 2600 lbs trailer axle without a WDH.
You obviously need a brake controller, Tekonsha has a pretty good rep and the high end P3 is highly regarded. Personally using a lowly Voyager and it does job, just not as fancy. Make sure you get a proportional one, not the old time-based ones.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
The Wolf Pup 16 BHS is a single axle trailer with a little over 3500 lbs GVWR (the axle actually is only good for 3500 lbs, the rest goes on the hitch). You might not need a weight distributing hitch with sway control. With my 16 FB and 1500 truck I end up with 3050 lbs front axle, 3000 lbs rear axle, and 2600 lbs trailer axle without a WDH.
You obviously need a brake controller, Tekonsha has a pretty good rep and the high end P3 is highly regarded. Personally using a lowly Voyager and it does job, just not as fancy. Make sure you get a proportional one, not the old time-based ones.
What's the hitch weight? I was figuring 15% of gross of 3877 to get just under 600lbs. I think your info would be better since you have the trailer and I am just going off specs.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:35 AM   #7

Avalanche 2003
GVWR 7,000 lbs
GAWR FRT 3,800 lbs
GAWR RR 4,000 lbs

16bhs
Hitch Weight 377 lbs
Gross Weight 3877 lbs
Dry Weight 3097 lbs
Cargo Weight 780 lbs
Old 09-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #8

I'm pulling a Salem 197 BH with almost identical specs for over a year with a 2006 Silverado, same motor and haven't seen a need for the wdh or sway bar. Mine pulls straighter than my utility trailer.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #9

weight distribution hitch

I bought my weight distribution hitch from U-Haul for $225 and they shipped it right to me. I told them I needed it to tow 7000lbs.
goodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #10

You don't need a WDH or anti sway with that tiny trailer - I know because I just towed mine cross country and back.

One More Time Around: Wolf Pup - Cross Country 2017

I tried it with and without the anti sway and concluded it wasn't worth the time it took to put it on and then worry about disconnecting it to back up. I wouldn't consider the WDH for the light trailer - that tongue weight is not much worse then a few suitcases in the trunk.

If you insist on using a WDH:
https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-...tem-67649.html

And the Harbor Fright friction anti sway is as good as any:
https://www.harborfreight.com/traile...kit-96462.html

If your biggest concern is safety - just don't go over 55 mph.

As far as price:
One More Time Around: Saga Of Aquiring A Forest River Wolf Pup 16FQ

And finally, Get yourself a TPMS for the trailer.
https://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/
You can get a cheaper TPMS, but you need maximum TPMS reliability when you run the ST tires that come on the trailer.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #11

Sorry to Hijack.. The Toy Hauler (16RP) has a higher axle ratings, 5500lbs total.. my TV is rated to 6600lbs and has factory air.. would I need a WD hitch? I'm seriously considering taking the single tank off the front and making it a double, mebe 30# with as much boondocking/off season camping as I do.. might be carrying a lil water in the summer, but probably not full tank..

I was leaning towards a WD/Anti Sway setup, if anything to make it easier on Wife if she's piloting the TV on interstate.. Ive towed loads close to this before (car hauler w/3k load) and it handled great w/out WD/AS but it was not as susceptible to wind either.
dreadlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
What's the hitch weight? I was figuring 15% of gross of 3877 to get just under 600lbs. I think your info would be better since you have the trailer and I am just going off specs.
Don't really know, I've never weighed the hitch. The 16FB is an older model which is a tad shorter (20 ft overall) and 2700 lbs dry. I don't carry a lot of stuff so I'd guess 400-450 lbs tongue weight (listed at 300 lbs dry).

600 lbs is probably a safe guess for the 16BHS, likely a little less unless loaded to hilt.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post

from...
Cherokee Wolf Pup Travel Trailers / Toy Haulers by Forest River RV
Old 09-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #14

16 bhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
You don't need a WDH or anti sway with that tiny trailer - I know because I just towed mine cross country and back.

One More Time Around: Wolf Pup - Cross Country 2017

I tried it with and without the anti sway and concluded it wasn't worth the time it took to put it on and then worry about disconnecting it to back up. I wouldn't consider the WDH for the light trailer - that tongue weight is not much worse then a few suitcases in the trunk.

If you insist on using a WDH:
https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-...tem-67649.html

And the Harbor Fright friction anti sway is as good as any:
https://www.harborfreight.com/traile...kit-96462.html

If your biggest concern is safety - just don't go over 55 mph.

As far as price:
One More Time Around: Saga Of Aquiring A Forest River Wolf Pup 16FQ

And finally, Get yourself a TPMS for the trailer.
https://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/
You can get a cheaper TPMS, but you need maximum TPMS reliability when you run the ST tires that come on the trailer.

Thanks. After towing it home from the dealer on a very windy day we concluded we didn't need the sway either. However, we did know we lost tire pressure in the back. They were noticeably low with the trailer attached even though the back of the truck wasn't squatting. Once checked in the back tires we had 20 PSI - calls for 35 PSI. The trip home was only 20 miles or so. Is this usual? Would the weight distributing hitch help with that?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #15

I would hope the PSI would have been ~20 when you left the dealer - otherwise you likely have a tire problem.

I put the PSI in my tires that is shown on the tire sidewall. That doesn't change when I hook up the trailer or put on the WDH.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #16

I pulled my old 16bhs with an avalanche. Brake controller and wdh will be needed.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #17

TT care

Currently we have our tt sitting outside in the elements as the carport we purchased has yet to be installed. The past couple of days it has reached 80s. When I went into the camper the past couple of times it has been hot and stuffy feeling. The windows were fogged and the sheets had a wet feeling from the moisture. I don't want any damage or mildew. Will I just need to open the door every pretty door for a couple of hours while I'm home? Purchase a roof vent cover?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #18

Check your TV manual - they may require you to use a WD hitch. I have a 16 Tacoma pulling the 16bhs and it states in there to use a WD hitch - this is with the tow package & capacity of 6,500lbs. The front wheel well on my set up without the WD hitch was up 1/2"-3/4" (I forget which).

That said, I put a WD hitch on mine because of this requirement. I used the e2 fastway and only needed minimal weight distribution. The manual for that hitch states to use a minimum of 5 washers but my set up only required 2 washers before back to original specs. I contacted the manufacturer, provided them with measurements and pictures of the set up, and they gave me the "go-ahead" with using only 2 washers. They said the 5 washer minimum is a guideline not hard and fast rule.
davellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:00 AM   #19

Thumbs up wth with sc

Food for thought - I just purchased the Wolf Pup 16bhs (Patriot edition), in fact I`m still enroute to home from Omaha. I purchased the e2 fastaway 600/6000 and it pulls like a dream, with the exception of choppiness on bad pavement. With my tv, I probably didn`t need to get one, however I'll be taking my ATV, extra propane tank, extra gas and water, along with other misc. camping gear/equipment every time i go out. In conversation with e trailer, this seemed to be the right match for my use. My tv is a 2009 4wd standard cab Dodge Ram 1500, tow package with the hemi. Under the current set up, without the extra weight in the bed, it raised my rear 3/4", dropped my front by 1/4", with a 2 inch raise on the height of the trailer with the round bars connected. It's been great so far; i`'ve been dry camping for 6 days now. Limited use on the furnace, but it is getting quite chilly here in Utah.
ligBryce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, wolf pup