Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2022, 09:42 PM   #1

2019 grey wolf 26dbh up botton won’t work

So it’s always something. Two weeks ago worked fine been sitting in our driveway and we’re leaving Tomm for a trip I go to hit he lift ie up button on the power tongue jack nothing happens hit down it goes down fine. Hook it up to my truck with the plug still won’t go up, hand crank goes up fine. Am I hit with an electrical issue here or is here a fuse for the up down buttons on the tongue jack just seeing if anyone else has had this issue. First time issue with this specific problem. When I hook the electrical from trailer to truck all the exterior lights go on so I know it’s getting power and it still won’t work. Ugh always something. Thanks for any advice. I’m just gonna hand crank it I just worry once the weight distribution bars go on will I be able to crank it high enough to release pressure and get em off.
Olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #2

Pull the switch out and swap the leads. If it goes up and not down then your switch is bad.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Pull the switch out and swap the leads. If it goes up and not down then your switch is bad.
Where is that switch located? And is it a big cost if he switch is bad to replace?
Old 08-12-2022, 10:02 PM   #4

most probable points of failure would be (1) the "up" segment of the tongue jack switch is corroded or broken or (2) the wiring inside the motor is loose or damaged.
maddogdmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #5

Very inexpensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olotti View Post
Where is that switch located? And is it a big cost if he switch is bad to replace?
It's the switch you are pushing on. They are very inexpensive, a couple of bucks at most. The trick is finding the same physical size, for mounting.

Post a picture and we can walk you through the replacement steps. Some switches snap into place. Others unscrew.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:36 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Appears you have a defective switch in that it is not changing the polarity to retract the jack. Quite common on tongue jacks as the weather (rain/moisture) are hard of the switch. The item your pressing is the switch. If you're handy it's not hard to replace the switch. Here's a wiring diagram of the back of the switch:
You can find them at Walmart, or Amazon.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JR-Produc...witch/55433431
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	277799  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #7

Simpler way

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Appears you have a defective switch in that it is not changing the polarity to retract the jack. Quite common on tongue jacks as the weather (rain/moisture) are hard of the switch. The item your pressing is the switch. If you're handy it's not hard to replace the switch. Here's a wiring diagram of the back of the switch:

Here is a simpler way to do the replacement.
  • Remove the old switch from the jack. It snaps in. Use a small screwdriver to pry up one end, then the other. Don't remove the wires from it yet.
  • Hold the old switch and the new switch side-by-side, so that the back sides (with the wire terminals) are facing you. Make sure that both switches are in the same orientation.
  • Remove one wire from the old switch (pull on the connector, not the wire), and install it on the corresponding terminal on the new switch.
  • Do the same with the second wire.
  • Do the same with the third wire.
  • Do the same with the fourth wire.
  • Re-mount the switch on the jack.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
It's the switch you are pushing on. They are very inexpensive, a couple of bucks at most. The trick is finding the same physical size, for mounting.

Post a picture and we can walk you through the replacement steps. Some switches snap into place. Others unscrew.
Turns out it was a lose battery cable. Once I reconnected them it worked fine.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

I appreciate the reply turns out it was a loose battery cable. Weird that it would go down but not up. Once I disconnected and reconnected em it worked fine
Old 08-24-2022, 07:24 AM   #10

Quote:
I appreciate the reply turns out it was a loose battery cable. Weird that it would go down but not up. Once I disconnected and reconnected em it worked fine
Strange things can always happen with a loose battery connector. In your case, being that it was partially connected, it created increased resistance at the battery terminal. Higher resistance at the battery terminal means less power for the motor to move up and down. The jack motor draws less current to go down so it worked that way but when it needed higher current to go up...it wasn't available. Makes sense. Glad you found the gremlin!!
WireEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26dbh, grey wolf