Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2020, 11:35 PM   #1

2020 WolfPup 16BHS questions -- Tank size + 110v water heater?

Hey everyone!

I've got a 2020 Wolfpup 16BHS. Done a bunch of fun stuff with it and used it a ton already. Looking for many more adventures in it! Got some questions...

Can we install a larger water tank? One thing we've struggled with though is the water capacity seems really low on this vehicle. I recall being told it had a 20 gallon tank. Looking at 2021's it would appear they have 32 gallon tanks. Anyone know if the tanks changed from 2020 to 2021, and if I can install the 32 gallon tank on my 2020? I can weld and fabricate so I can easily build in robust supports.

Can the water heater we have run on 110v? I've noticed there is 110v power going to our water heater. There's a specific outlet wired in under the bed that the water heater is plugged into. However, even when we're on hookups and turn on the the water heater, it just goes straight to propane. Do these have 110v water heater capabilities? If not, why is there a 110v plug running to it? is there a trick to get it to use 110 over propane when hooked up?

I'll have to do a full tour and picture documentation of our setup soon. I've got all sorts of fun stuff done. Axle flip, 30" 6000lb stabilizer, ammo boxes on the back for storing black water and fresh water hoses (separate boxes, of course), 400w of solar, 340ah of lithium iron battery storage, 3000w inverter, got a safe hidden in my camper that is stealth, reinforced the benches cause my GF can't resist standing on them, all that sort of stuff!
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

The 2020 brochure says you have 32 fresh water you can verify by tempting the tank and refill with 5 gal container or use the timed method with a hose. The same brochure list your WH as propane. Are you sure that receptacle it is plugged into is 110V have you tested it with a meter it may be 12V.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #3

I'll try and pull a serial number or something off of the tank. I'd be very surprised if it was 32 gallons though. Most the online listings for 2020 say 23 or 26 gallons.

I'd love to have 32, or even 40 gallons. That would be plenty for a few showers and other general life stuff.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The same brochure list your WH as propane. Are you sure that receptacle it is plugged into is 110V have you tested it with a meter it may be 12V.
Ah yes, as for power and connection, there's very much a 110v receptacle and the water heater is plugged into that. Are you thinking they wired up a 12v receptacle for the water heater? That would be asking for trouble IMO, but... who knows. I guess I can look into it!
Old 11-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #5

you said "goes straight to propane"! Switch for water heater is on .turn switch it off.Suburban water heater? 110 switch out side ,LEFT SIDE under gas tube. make sure tank has water in it.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #6

Check the manual that came with the water heater. Some are 120v, some are 12v. Depends on the model. The "installation, operation, and maintenance manual" for the heater with wiring diagrams, etc..will be in the big bag o manuals that should have come with the trailer.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #7

About the FW capacity:

I just posted about this a few days ago. All of the Wolf Pups used to list their FW capacity as 32 gal. Then last week they updated the website for the 2021 models and the FW is now listed as 26 gal. That confused me so I emailed FR. This is the response from their sales rep (who's emails keep getting shorter and with MORE ALL CAPS):
Paul
Nov 18, 2020, 2:08 PM (5 days ago)
to hevenson

Heather,

I have placed an order for a Wolf Pup 16BHS-Black Label through Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, Iowa. My order was placed on/around October 28th.

My attached spec sheet shows that my Fresh Water Tank will be 32 gallons. Your new brochure on the Forest River website shows all Wolf Pup fresh water tanks are now 26 gallons.

Can you confirm what I will receive on my trailer?
Heather Evenson
Fri, Nov 20, 10:59 AM (3 days ago)
to me

26 Gal. THIS IS THE CORRECT SIZE
Other forum posters are suggesting that the actual FW tank has always been 26gal and they've been adding the 6 gallons from the hot water heater into the total capacity until now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #8

See now THAT makes way more sense. 26 gallons of storage, with 6 gallons being the how water heater storage.

That means I should probably fill my camper, then run the water pump and run the hot water external shower for a second to ensure I get the hot water heater full as well...

So now I wonder... how much bigger of a tank can I get away with on this puppy, haha. I imagine at some point i'm going to push the limits of this single axle weight rating...
Old 11-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
Hey everyone!

I've got a 2020 Wolfpup 16BHS...

Can the water heater we have run on 110v? I've noticed there is 110v power going to our water heater. There's a specific outlet wired in under the bed that the water heater is plugged into. However, even when we're on hookups and turn on the the water heater, it just goes straight to propane. Do these have 110v water heater capabilities? If not, why is there a 110v plug running to it? is there a trick to get it to use 110 over propane when hooked up?

Just want to verify, did you flip on the electric switch inside the panel to run the electric coil?

I'll have to do a full tour and picture documentation of our setup soon. I've got all sorts of fun stuff done. Axle flip, 30" 6000lb stabilizer, ammo boxes on the back for storing black water and fresh water hoses (separate boxes, of course), 400w of solar, 340ah of lithium iron battery storage, 3000w inverter, got a safe hidden in my camper that is stealth, reinforced the benches cause my GF can't resist standing on them, all that sort of stuff!
This sounds epic! Can't wait to see your upgrades! My 2021 WP 16BHSBL is still on order...taking forrrrrever!
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #10

Last I knew, all Wolf Pups use the same Suburban 6 gallon water heater.
No inside switch for 110vac. It’s outside in the face of the heater under the vented cover. The inside water heater switch on the monitor panel is the 12vdc control power for propane heater use. Several have added a lighted switch inside for the water heater, probably connected to that outlet under the bed that the heater is plugged into.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #11

Okay, that's helpful! I can easily make that a switched outlet then as I imagine you don't want 110v and propane running at the same time.

I've looked at the water heater outside under the vented cover and didn't see any switches. I've actually been in there several times with compressed air to blow out the propane section as apparently spiders are drawn to the smell of propane and they setup shop in there, clogging it all up.

I saw some push style breakers with rubber grommets over them though No rocker switches or anything though. Anyone got a picture by chance?
Old 11-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #12

I have a very similar TT. 2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ. The major differences mechanically are: Your water pump is under your bed next to the water heater. Mine is under the sink (our kitchens are on opposite sides of the TT). Your bathroom sink is integrated into the shower stall. I have a stand alone sink in the bathroom.

Open the outside access panel to your hot water heater. The black rocker switch is located on the lower left corner facing you. Be sure to only have this on after the HWH has been filled with water. You can manually open the pressure relief valve until water comes out to fill it.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #13

Adding another water tank is not advisable. You're almost to your max. TT weight now after you load your gear and fill up your water tank and HWH. If your tow vehicle is a pickup with excess PAYLOAD capacity considering the trailer weight, passengers, and gear, you may be able to purchase a portable auxiliary water tank for the bed of your truck. Otherwise, a few multi-gallon water jugs could be used.

These small lightweight trailers are easiest used when hookups are available. You'll also need to consider your waste storage capabilities too.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #14

Yup. Failed to mention. It’s a cheap black plastic rocker switch UNDER the left side piping.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
Adding another water tank is not advisable. You're almost to your max. TT weight now after you load your gear and fill up your water tank and HWH. If your tow vehicle is a pickup with excess PAYLOAD capacity considering the trailer weight, passengers, and gear, you may be able to purchase a portable auxiliary water tank for the bed of your truck. Otherwise, a few multi-gallon water jugs could be used.

These small lightweight trailers are easiest used when hookups are available. You'll also need to consider your waste storage capabilities too.
Waste storage is easy, we can easily go 5 days or so on the black tank. Water though is a constant issue. Two military showers and some basic utilization will blow through most of our water. We can take outdoor showers with biodegradable soap to avoid th greywater issue as well.

It should be noted though... I can't quite convince my GF to go light on water, haha. She does things like boil water for spaghetti and then washes the resulting dishes as if we're at home and water is unlimited!

There's another thread about a heavier duty axle install. If I upgraded my axle to a heavier duty axle, could I then safely pull more water?

I'm driving a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I've got plenty of towing capacity.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:30 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:

There's a BIG difference between having plenty of towing capacity and plenty of PAYLOAD capacity. Especially with single axle TTs.
What's your Ram's payload capacity? It's on the driver's door sticker. Ram 1500s are known to have lower payloads, especially with the heavier diesel engine.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Waste storage is easy, we can easily go 5 days or so on the black tank. Water though is a constant issue. Two military showers and some basic utilization will blow through most of our water. We can take outdoor showers with biodegradable soap to avoid th greywater issue as well.

It should be noted though... I can't quite convince my GF to go light on water, haha. She does things like boil water for spaghetti and then washes the resulting dishes as if we're at home and water is unlimited!

There's another thread about a heavier duty axle install. If I upgraded my axle to a heavier duty axle, could I then safely pull more water?

On your Wolf Pup, you'd have to mount the additional water tank in front of the existing fresh water tank. There is no practical way of switching positions with either the Grey or Black tank. Taking this into consideration, you'd also need to install the new heavier duty axle more forward on the frame as not to increase your tongue weight past specifications. I also don't know who you would ask to see if the frame can handle this.

Ergo: Large Water Bladder and/or Tanks for your pickup bed and maybe a small electric pump that will work with your city water hose. Provided your pickup can handle it.

Or maybe your next girl friend should be a cat. They use saliva to wash themselves....
Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Okay, that's helpful! I can easily make that a switched outlet then as I imagine you don't want 110v and propane running at the same time.

I've looked at the water heater outside under the vented cover and didn't see any switches. I've actually been in there several times with compressed air to blow out the propane section as apparently spiders are drawn to the smell of propane and they setup shop in there, clogging it all up.

I saw some push style breakers with rubber grommets over them though No rocker switches or anything though. Anyone got a picture by chance?
Actually you can run propane and electric at the same time to get the water hot faster. But after it’s a waste of propane if you have “free” electricity.

The switch outside is somewhat hidden.

The rubber topped button breakers are to reset the high temp safety sensors IIRC. If the water gets really hot then later goes cooler, reset those.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #19

Old 11-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #20

Thanks for the great picture, and my apologies i hadn't updated this thread yet. I went and looked, and sure enough that switch is down there as you pictured! I just haven't seen it yet since it's tucked down way low, although I'm surprised I haven't even caught a glance of it yet since I've gotten in there with an air compressor several times to clean it all out!

Thanks for helping me solve the mystery.

Now to figure out more water storage!

Tags
110v, heater, tank, water, water heater