Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #1

2021 Wolf Pup 17JG Glass Top Stove

So this is my first post. I wanted to share an experience with the group to see if this has happend to anyone else, and if they had replaced it yet. We took our wolf pup on it's very first trip last week to Death Valley. We moved up from tent to pop up, and now travel trailer. This is my first brand new trailer. Everything worked as I expected. I set it up, leveled it and left my wife to "Cook hotdogs" while I took the kids for a short exploration hike around Furnace Creek Campsite. I soon returned to a sobbing companion. I had been so excited to purchase the camper I had watched maybe 20 videos on operation, winterizing, un winterizing and tips and tricks. But I hadn't shared much of that information with her. She mistakenly turned the 2 burner gas stove on with the glass cover in the down postion. I think she thought it was some type of new space aged glass that the burners would warm. Shortly ensued a glass explosion. Are these glass tops replaceable or does the whole cooktop need to be replaced?
Thanks,
Zac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooktop.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	252496  
Tennessee Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #2

I would venture to guess the glass, and hardware should be available for purchase through a dealer. But I doubt it will happen fast.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #3

Just clean up the glass well. Up until a couple years ago the stovetop stuck up above the counter and had no cover. Made one for mine.
Count on using the camper as is for a while.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

You might call FR parts and ask. I would also get in touch with the local glass shop as they may be able to replace the glass for cheaper?? Maybe you have some pieces left over? If not, perhaps a picture will be enough for the shop to get the glass. If you need other pictures, I'd be happy to send you some of mine.
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #5

I feel certain it is replaceable. When I got my Freedom Express it had the same glass top and my first thought that was some sort of a cook top. I think that from a safety engineering point of view, putting that over the stove is a manufacturing mistake. Thank god no one lost an eye.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #6

I just saw this video for my Coachman where they have a wood substitute that would probably fit your RV. somewhere near 12:00 in the vid.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #7

I wouldn't do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
You might call FR parts and ask. I would also get in touch with the local glass shop as they may be able to replace the glass for cheaper?? Maybe you have some pieces left over? If not, perhaps a picture will be enough for the shop to get the glass. If you need other pictures, I'd be happy to send you some of mine.
Forest River parts can be pretty snooty about selling parts to owners. You can be forced to buy through the dealer who can take weeks to place the order and charge an excessive markup and shipping fee.

Contact the range manufacturer DIRECTLY, order the part, and you'll have it quickly and cheaply.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
I just saw this video for my Coachman where they have a wood substitute that would probably fit your RV. somewhere near 12:00 in the vid.
Use wood? So next time there will be a fire.....
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #9

TT Congrats on the new TT! You'll love it!
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #10

replaced mine with stainless. cleaning out the handle and hinge was the hard part
BCWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
Use wood? So next time there will be a fire.....
It will be pretty obvious you need to remove the wooden cover.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #12

Looks like you can order the whole unit for about $200. Didn't see any parts listing, but you might try contacting them since they appear to have a retail online presence.

https://www.wayinterglobal.com/collections/greystone
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #13

Does not appear the OP has been on the forum since posting.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #14

BC - Interested in how you got the hinge off. I'm not replacing the glass on mine (happy with it as is) but need to get below the burner to clean out the glass there and remove the hinge that held the glass but could not figure it out. Any help appreciated!
tomgrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #15

Similar Story

I could have written this post about exploding glass on the stove. My wife had the glass flipped up off the front burner but not that back burner even though it wasn't in use.

Still, it shattered and sounded like a gunshot.

Thankfully no eye lost, but this is probably going to be a common story. Actually prefer the look of the stove without the glass cover and will probably just get a nice bamboo cutting board that will fit.

However, trying to figure out how to get the old glass hinge off and how to get under the burners to get the glass that fell through out.

Any ideas welcome (and I am on here often and appreciate all the input).

I did send my wife the link to the replacement stove for $199. Figure if she really, really wants to go that route we can, but I can live without it.

Thanks!
Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	252965  
Old 04-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #16

my just pulls up from the back.
BCWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #17

Smile Thanks!

Two screws and out it came! I was making so much more out of it. Had taken the screws out before, but thought I was missing something else.

Lifted right out - thanks!

Now, to get the hinges off that held the glass. We are definitely not going down this route again, though replacing the entire unit at $200 might be cheaper buying and waiting for the part.

Was less glass below than I thought but now I now how to remove it to clean the enamel and below. Win!

Thanks again!!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5129.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	253078  
Old 08-08-2021, 11:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrandy View Post
Two screws and out it came! I was making so much more out of it. Had taken the screws out before, but thought I was missing something else.

Lifted right out - thanks!

Now, to get the hinges off that held the glass. We are definitely not going down this route again, though replacing the entire unit at $200 might be cheaper buying and waiting for the part.

Was less glass below than I thought but now I now how to remove it to clean the enamel and below. Win!

Thanks again!!

Tom
Did you ever locate this replacement part by any chance? If so, what did you find?
FortyFour44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:45 AM   #19

Replacement

Surprisingly I took it back to the dealership for some other work and they replaced the glass cooktop under warranty. I did watch him install and you didn't replace the glass, but rather the complete housing (metal box and glass).

I had looked up the stove to replace the entire thing and it was right around $300. A couple screws and the old one came out, the new one went in and he was done.

Not sure if you are still under warranty, but it is worth asking if it is covered.

If not, you can find the same stove online and replace it cheaper than the cost of the glass.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #20

Shattered stove cover

This so happened to me the other day. The stove cover was not over the stove eye and I had just finished cooking on the front burner with the top pushed back...bam!!? Glass everywhere? Where do I find another glass cover?? I am afraid this is going to be like the friction hinge bad engineering problem that has cost me a new door and switching to regular hinges through lippert ... Good grief. Just a replacement part but the malfunctions and poor quality are beginning to add up considerably.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210917_103435.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	263077  
Blueheron124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021, wolf pup