Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 11:12 PM   #1

22MKSE Murphy Bed - is it comfortable?

Hi all -

First post... Looking for our first TT but experienced Tent campers. Its mostly gonna be me (Dad) and two girls 9&10. I'm close to closing a deal on a Grey Wolf 22MKSE, I like pretty much everything about the TT but kinda suspicious about the function of the front queen "murphy" bed. Check it out at time index 5:35.

The couch folds down and the queen mattress is unique (I guess) to FR... it looks to be split in half with the top connected so it folds open. I found one old thread about this but not updated.

Any owners have this style and can comment about it? Did you end up replacing the bed and thus have to keep the couch always folded down?

Thanks!
campdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:52 PM   #2

We have the same one. It’s ok for a few nights, by we’re looking into a foam replacement. It’s a little shorter than a regular queen, and I’m a big guy, so we’re considering rigging up a way to fold an extension on the foot. Biggest issue we had is you have to travel with the bed down. It’ll wiggle out the bolts and drop if it’s up while driving.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Thanks for info Patrick!

It sounds like you have the Murphy that drops down and secured my slide bolts when up. Interesting to know itís an issue when traveling.

I think This 2021 22mkse Murphy Iím looking at is different.

Any case Iím starting to understand RV mattresses are already bad and need toppers or foam replacements, this particular Murphy setup is probably worse/complicated because itís a 1/2 fold that sits behind the couch and I donít see how a topper or replacement could work unless giving up on couch and leaving as perm bed.

Probably #1 thing I am looking for coming from tent camping is permanent beds I leave set up all the time. So maybe a non-Murphy floor plan is best for me.
campdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #4

That's interesting. I didn't watch the video. It looks like the same layout, but they're using the extra 3 feet of trailer compared to mine to make the bed work differently (this configuration also gives you more storage underneath - out bed tucks into the storage compartment when up). On our previous trailer, the bed shape was weird - longer and skinnier than a queen - and we cut the side off a foam mattress and tucked it on the head of the bed so that the seam was under the pillows. I really liked that bed because it had extra length, and I didn't mind the little bit narrow. You could cut a foam mattress in half to fold like that, but I'd be nervous that it's heavier and floppier, so it would be hard to unfold, and that if I've got a split right where my butt is that it would separate. A nice foam topper would probably work just fine, though.

I just found out I'm getting a foam mattress for father's day, so we need to figure out how to support the extra 9 inches of length of a regular queen mattress and hope we can still fold up the bed!
Old 06-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #5

It's weird how this trailer is so similar to ours, but with different choices. This one has a ton more storage; ours has an outdoor kitchen with a mini fridge. This one has an exterior TV mount, ours doesn't. It's 3' longer, but they use that to make the bed different, which again, gives more storage.

Tags
bed