Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

26DBH Weight Question

Hello All,

New to the forum. I am thinking of buying a 2018 Grey Wolf 26DBH. This would be my first TT ever. I have been crunching numbers to see if my TV can handle it and it appears that it can. However I am using factory numbers such as DRY weight etc... everything I have read leads me to believe that these factory numbers are not accurate. My questions is does anybody have experience with the "real weights" for the grey wolf 26DBH. It doesn't have to be a 2018. Any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

David W
rduke32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #2

What do you want to pull it with?
paulbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbram View Post
What do you want to pull it with?
I have a 2013 Tundra TRD Pro Limited Crewmax- rated 9000 tow and 1010 tongue. All the number I crunch I come in fine with GCVW but am very close to GVW for my truck, which is 7159. Curb weight is 5625- which leaves me 1534 payload. If I figure 900 for Tongue and 500 for cargo and 100 for the WDH it puts me right 1500 with 34lbs to spare.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

Others will tell you that you are too close and should upgrade the truck, but I'm of the opinion that you should be fine if you can find a way to keep your cargo low. Also, simply adding some helper air bags to your springs can do wonders to offset that 500 lbs of cargo.

One option is to TRY it with this truck and if it just doesn't do well, you can always upgrade later.

I know that many people (including myself) pull that trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. Would it be better with a bigger truck? Sure, and I plan on upgrading one day, but I'm in no hurry.
paulbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #5

I have a 2017 26dbh and use a 2016 Silverado 1500 crew cab to pull it. It is rated to pull 9100 and around 1500-1700 payload capacity. I use a weight distribution/anti sway hitch and it pulls with no issues. I try to not have any other cargo in the truck other than passengers, and distribute the cargo on the TT evenly so all the weight doesn't all go to the tongue. I make sure the water tank is empty and just fill at the campground.
Bradshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

Do not go by published trailer dry weights. It is at that weight once and as it leaves the factory. This is with no options, no gear, no propane etc. etc. You will be closer if you go by the gross weight of the trailer.

Good Luck !!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #7

Towing vehicles can be a touchy subject around here. I learned this the hard way as a newbie. It sounds like you are on the right path by crunching numbers and asking questions.

For what it's worth, we have a '13 Tundra double cab and tow a '17 274dbh (sister model to the 26dbh, but a little heavier). I can't recall how the specs on a DC compare to a CM, but ours tows comfortably with an Equalizer WDH and 1000# bars, and we also have two kids in tow (in the truck, not the camper, though they tempt us sometimes )

DH and I are very safety-conscious, type-A people. It bothers us a little to even be borderline on payload weight, but for our purposes, the truck and camper combo work very well. We also don't carry water, a generator, or much heavy "stuff," though our camper is outfitted very well with interior amenities. We took a trip to the CAT scales recently, and came in great on all the numbers (can't recall, and sheet is in the camper). Payload is close, but I think we were even within that - barely.

As for driving it, be sure to use the Tow/Haul mode and your "S" gears to lock out 5th and 6th when needed. Makes a world of difference. Good luck deciding!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
Towing vehicles can be a touchy subject around here. I learned this the hard way as a newbie. It sounds like you are on the right path by crunching numbers and asking questions.

For what it's worth, we have a '13 Tundra double cab and tow a '17 274dbh (sister model to the 26dbh, but a little heavier). I can't recall how the specs on a DC compare to a CM, but ours tows comfortably with an Equalizer WDH and 1000# bars, and we also have two kids in tow (in the truck, not the camper, though they tempt us sometimes )

DH and I are very safety-conscious, type-A people. It bothers us a little to even be borderline on payload weight, but for our purposes, the truck and camper combo work very well. We also don't carry water, a generator, or much heavy "stuff," though our camper is outfitted very well with interior amenities. We took a trip to the CAT scales recently, and came in great on all the numbers (can't recall, and sheet is in the camper). Payload is close, but I think we were even within that - barely.

As for driving it, be sure to use the Tow/Haul mode and your "S" gears to lock out 5th and 6th when needed. Makes a world of difference. Good luck deciding!

Thanks for the info. I am fine on all my numbers except the GVWR which is 7200. Paperwork say curb weight is 5625 but I weighed it today on a full tank of gas but empty otherwise and it came in at 6020 which brings me to 1200 payload capacity. Then I have to factor in passengers and dogs say 500lbs and a tongue weight of say 772, which is 10% of the gross weight of the trailer and 84lbs for the WDH and I am over my GVWR and that is with absolutely nothiing else in the truck which is not realistic.

Although I am heartened to hear that you are making it work on a heavier trailer with basically the same specs on the truck.

There is a lot of information out there and it is a bit overwhelming. Do you does using a WDH allow some weight to be moved off the tongue which then you can subtract off the GVWR and applied to the GVCW?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradshell31 View Post
I have a 2017 26dbh and use a 2016 Silverado 1500 crew cab to pull it. It is rated to pull 9100 and around 1500-1700 payload capacity. I use a weight distribution/anti sway hitch and it pulls with no issues. I try to not have any other cargo in the truck other than passengers, and distribute the cargo on the TT evenly so all the weight doesn't all go to the tongue. I make sure the water tank is empty and just fill at the campground.
Do you come close to hitting the payload and GVWR of the Silverado?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post

Curious what your actual dry weight on your trailer is. It will be on the drivers side tongue on a sticker just below your VIN#.

I have a 2018 26DBH and apparently it is a pig. Published dry weights for this model are in the 5700's, mine came off the line at 6068 pounds!! Pulling with an 07 Tundra double cab with a reese pro hitch and friction sway, 0 issues in 1000 miles.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduke32 View Post
Do you come close to hitting the payload and GVWR of the Silverado?

I don't know the exact tongue weight, but believe I have came very close. I have pulled with a load of firewood and 4 passengers with no issues.
Bradshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #12

I also have a 274dbh and tow with a tundra. Initially with a 2011 that was leveled and now a 2017 with 6" lift. Key is proper setup. I have the equalizer 4pt with built in sway. Put airbags on the new truck to help with a little squat. More of a visual thing for me. Keep the tundra in manual 4th gear, tow haul mode on, speed down and you will be fine. Although with the small gas tank u won't pass many stations. Lol Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5048.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	142320Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1498139205.271092.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	142321
kfcflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am fine on all my numbers except the GVWR which is 7200. Paperwork say curb weight is 5625 but I weighed it today on a full tank of gas but empty otherwise and it came in at 6020 which brings me to 1200 payload capacity. Then I have to factor in passengers and dogs say 500lbs and a tongue weight of say 772, which is 10% of the gross weight of the trailer and 84lbs for the WDH and I am over my GVWR and that is with absolutely nothiing else in the truck which is not realistic.

Although I am heartened to hear that you are making it work on a heavier trailer with basically the same specs on the truck.

There is a lot of information out there and it is a bit overwhelming. Do you does using a WDH allow some weight to be moved off the tongue which then you can subtract off the GVWR and applied to the GVCW?

Thanks
Yes. The numbers can definitely be overwhelming. During our search, we took the numbers as far as we could go, but eventually decided to allow for a margin of error/estimate. Which really, is the best thing to do anyway, since you won't be packed exactly the same for each trip.

Others can probably respond to your numbers questions better than I, but are you considering that the WDH will move some weight off the rear axle of your truck? Proper set up is key, and unlikely to be done by an RV tech, so make sure you educate yourself on how to set up the WDH properly and tweak as needed. A good WDH/anti-sway system can be worth its weight in gold in terms of easing stress on the tow vehicle, and ensuring a safer driving experience. When recently driving home in 20-30 mph crosswinds, we saw so many trailer/truck setups that were just BAD. Swaying all over, nose really high/low, etc. Ours was not one of them, and we felt good about that.

Ultimately, this decision is up to you. I'm not sure where you are located, but geography also is a factor. Will you be driving extensively through mountains? Not saying that wouldn't work, but it would be something to consider. We live in Michigan. No mountains, but some hills up north that do require locking out the upper range of gears.

We like our Tundra/274dbh setup. Will it win races? No. Does it burn a lot of gas? Yep. We average about 9 mpg. Would a 2500 or diesel dually pull it better? I'm sure it would. But is it great for our needs, which are intermittent family camping trips 6-7 months out of the year, and a powerful, reliable, family-sized pickup the rest of the time? You bet. And we love the 274dbh so far. Perfect layout that will still have room as the kids grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
Curious what your actual dry weight on your trailer is. It will be on the drivers side tongue on a sticker just below your VIN#.

I have a 2018 26DBH and apparently it is a pig. Published dry weights for this model are in the 5700's, mine came off the line at 6068 pounds!! Pulling with an 07 Tundra double cab with a reese pro hitch and friction sway, 0 issues in 1000 miles.
I just looked, and the actual dry weight is 6364. We also had a slide topper installed before purchase, so that would bump it up a little. From what I can tell, the two trailers are nearly identical, except the 26dbh has lower ground clearance, and the slide is a bit smaller, hence the weight difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcflores View Post
I also have a 274dbh and tow with a tundra. Initially with a 2011 that was leveled and now a 2017 with 6" lift. Key is proper setup. I have the equalizer 4pt with built in sway. Put airbags on the new truck to help with a little squat. More of a visual thing for me. Keep the tundra in manual 4th gear, tow haul mode on, speed down and you will be fine. Although with the small gas tank u won't pass many stations. Lol Attachment 142320Attachment 142321
I was hoping kfcflores would post! He knows his Tundras, and truthfully, helped convince us to pull the trigger on our 274dbh.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #14

Thanks MILover- I appreciate all the response. I love my Tundra and have no interest in trading for a different vehicle. As I mentioned this is my 1st TT and experience towing anything so I am probably being a nervous nelly. I read something and feel good about my decision and then read something else and then not so much . I feel more comfortable seeing others towing very similar setups. Of course I know at the end of the day I have to do what is comfortable for me and my family and can't have someone tell me to do it or not do it. Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #15

Quote:
I also have a 274dbh and tow with a tundra. Initially with a 2011 that was leveled and now a 2017 with 6" lift. Key is proper setup. I have the equalizer 4pt with built in sway. Put airbags on the new truck to help with a little squat. More of a visual thing for me. Keep the tundra in manual 4th gear, tow haul mode on, speed down and you will be fine. Although with the small gas tank u won't pass many stations. Lol Attachment 142320Attachment 142321
Thanks for the input! Rig looks great! I was going to go with an E@ WDH but I think now I will go with the Equalizer 4pt! I still feel I am going to be over my GVWR with the family and dogs and some supplies in the truck which is a concern for me but seems like I can mitigate some of that with a WDH, if I am understanding correctly. Any other insight you could provide would be great. Thank you again.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Rig looks great! I was going to go with an E@ WDH but I think now I will go with the Equalizer 4pt! I still feel I am going to be over my GVWR with the family and dogs and some supplies in the truck which is a concern for me but seems like I can mitigate some of that with a WDH, if I am understanding correctly. Any other insight you could provide would be great. Thank you again.

You may be technically over by a few lbs. but honestly Tundra's are very well built. I haven't been to the scales with my new setup but when I camp I'm loaded down. 2 kids, wife. Bed is full of tools, firewood, dog, cooler. And my truck does fine. I have also towed thru the Sierra mountains and Yosemite with no issues. My thing is my tundra is my daily driver and I honestly tow probably 6-7 trips a year. Properly setup you will be fine. You can also pm me if you have any questions.
kfcflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
You may be technically over by a few lbs. but honestly Tundra's are very well built. I haven't been to the scales with my new setup but when I camp I'm loaded down. 2 kids, wife. Bed is full of tools, firewood, dog, cooler. And my truck does fine. I have also towed thru the Sierra mountains and Yosemite with no issues. My thing is my tundra is my daily driver and I honestly tow probably 6-7 trips a year. Properly setup you will be fine. You can also pm me if you have any questions.
Thanks again! As I get closer to pulling the trigger I will probably take you on the that offer of PMing you! One last question do you have a TRD Sway Bar installed on your truck and would you recommend it?

Tags
weight