Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #1

274DBH - anti freeze

So, I can't seem to find the hose that puts antifreeze into the system. Is there one on these models? I had an old hand pump so I ended up using it on the city line.
Sarjent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #2

274DBH - anti freeze

Your unit may not have the winterizing kit installed on the water pump. $15 kit is easy to install. Look for a tee with a diverter valve like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4345.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	188899

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #3

look for a 2' hose and a valve on your water pump.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

Our 2018 Grey Wolf 29TE didn’t come with a winterize valve

I added the camco kit, came with everything that I needed and it was only $15
mz_cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

the 274dbh does not come with the winterizing kit. you will need to buy one.

I still have not been able to install mine. I took the bed support plywood off the frame so I could reach back in the area. I was able to remove the filter. However there is not enough room between the waterlines going through the floor and the pump for the kit to fit.

I am going to have to relocate the pump but I cannot reach the back screws. Looks like I either have to cut a hole in the front panel or remove the outside shower.

don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #6

Looking at the picture posted above and I believe I have the same kit but the picture has me thinking

My water line from the fresh tank didn’t have the 90 degree threaded fitting attached to the water strainer, I believe it was crimped on so I unthreaded the strainer from the pump and installed the black hex female to female adapter to the pump, then the T valve, then the water strainer with the line going to the fresh tank

My problem now with looking at this picture is the T valve is after the strainer and I’m worried now that the strainer will still hold water and freeze
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

I just think this sort of thing should be something standard. Its goofy that it isn't. I had a cheaper Clipper and it had a winterizing kit pre-installed.
Sarjent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_cummins View Post
Looking at the picture posted above and I believe I have the same kit but the picture has me thinking

My water line from the fresh tank didn’t have the 90 degree threaded fitting attached to the water strainer, I believe it was crimped on so I unthreaded the strainer from the pump and installed the black hex female to female adapter to the pump, then the T valve, then the water strainer with the line going to the fresh tank

My problem now with looking at this picture is the T valve is after the strainer and I’m worried now that the strainer will still hold water and freeze
I had same problem of not enough room as you and ended up taking the strainer off. We don't use the fresh water tank except on longer drives and just hope strainer isn't needed.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #9

We have a 2019 274VFK, I'm not sure if the water pump is in the same location. It sounds like they are the same location. Ours didn't have a winterizing kit installed. I bought the Camco kit and installed it. At my age I didn't want to crawl under the bed to get to the pump so I cut an access hole in the paneling. Then I made a frame out of 1" X 3" kind of like a picture frame, stained it to match the original paneling and installed the cut out panel in it. I used 10-24 threaded inserts to reinstall this over the cutout. Now all I have to do to access the pump is to remove three #10 bolts and there it is.

Willie
Old Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post
. Then I made a frame out of 1" X 3" kind of like a picture frame, stained it to match the original paneling and installed the cut out panel in it. I used 10-24 threaded inserts to reinstall this over the cutout. Now all I have to do to access the pump is to remove three #10 bolts and there it is.

Willie
any chance you can post a picture?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #11

I can take some pictures over the weekend. I don't know how to post pictures to the forum. Is there instructions? I could email them to someone.

Willie
Old 10-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #12

I found some instructions for posting pictures. I will Try over the weekend.

Willie
Old 10-13-2018, 02:14 AM   #13

For the people who didn't have clearance to put the winterizing kit in line...

I put mine in today in my Alpha Wolf, and the inlet hose was fixed in place with some other plumbing using the expanding foam.

I was able to push the hose back a few inches giving me the room for the kit / valve. BTW, I put in the valve *after* the strainer, and emptied the water from the strainer (no freezing / cracking of housing; no 'contamination' of strainer w/ antifreeze, if you will)

Perhaps you can move the hose back a bit -? (it'll take a small bit of effort, but not enough to risk damaging the hose, etc.)
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
For the people who didn't have clearance to put the winterizing kit in line...

I put mine in today in my Alpha Wolf, and the inlet hose was fixed in place with some other plumbing using the expanding foam.

I was able to push the hose back a few inches giving me the room for the kit / valve. BTW, I put in the valve *after* the strainer, and emptied the water from the strainer (no freezing / cracking of housing; no 'contamination' of strainer w/ antifreeze, if you will)

Perhaps you can move the hose back a bit -? (it'll take a small bit of effort, but not enough to risk damaging the hose, etc.)

This is how my Grey Wolf is/was, I did the same thing, pushed the fresh tank hose back a bit and put the strainer before the T valve

Just the other day when I thought about how it wouldn’t get winterized being after the T valve I just unscrewed the clear bowl and dumped the water

I’m going to keep it this way but just need to add that to my winterizing process
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #15

Our MH came with a short hose that has a quick connect on one end. I can just disconnect the hose from the fresh water tank to the suction side of the pump and connect the short hose to the pump and put the other end in the bottle of anti freeze. Turn on the pump and it sucks right from the bottle. But I have a hand pump that I connect to the city water and fresh water fill connectors on the out side. Makes for quick clean winterizing with no spills inside.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post
I found some instructions for posting pictures. I will Try over the weekend.

Willie
Old Willie, I'd be really interested to see how you made your panel. I'm having the same issue with accessing the water heater in my 274VFK - why did they put it there with no access other than crawling into the storage area?!?!

Someone said it doesn't have the bypass kit installed - if not, I was thinking I'd just blow out the lines and then hand pump it through the city water connection. But it would be nice to access that area more easily.

Also, before I go crawling around, any idea where the water heater bypass is on this model?

Thanks!
velvethippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #17

On our 274 VFK the water heater bypass is behind the drawers in the kitchen. The ones that I will call at the end of the peninsula. I originally took both bottom drawers out and after looking you can get by with only taking one out. The valves are behind the drawer.

I still haven't got any pictures I can post of the water pump. After I cut the hole and installed the winterizing kit. I took the panel I cut out and squared it up a bit with my bench saw. Then using the 1" X 3" I made a frame like a picture frame and recessed the panel in it. Glued and nailed it all together and then I used threaded inserts for wood and installed it over the hole I had just cut. I think it looks pretty good after I stained it to match. If I can ever get a picture I'll post it.

There's a strainer between the fresh water tank and the pump. You need to get antifreeze in the pump and the strainer unless you want to remove the strainer. Many years ago I lost a pump because I didn't get enough pink stuff in it.
Willie
Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #18

I figured out how to do it without cutting a hole in the panel. Here is my write-up:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ll-172340.html
Old 11-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #19

Wow awesome write up
farmboy6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #20

I ended up moving my pump a couple inches to make it fit. No big deal.
ChrisMoore is offline   Reply With Quote