Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

274DBH Camco Winterize Kit Install

I have read all the other threads on installing the kit and access to the pump. Here is what I did...

I took the plywood off the bed above the front storage area so that I could access the water heater and pump. When I went to install the bypass valve I could barely reach the pump. Also there was not enough room between the pump and all the water lines entering the floor area. My pump was installed at a crazy angle as you can see in the picture. The bypass valve and the water screen overlapped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3386.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	189228

So I needed to move my water pump but I could not reach the screws holding the pump from the storage area. I had two options, remove the outside shower or create an access at the bottom-front of the wardrobe closet. I decided not to remove the outside shower. I did not know how much hose was available to move it out of the way and I didn't want to have to seal it back up.

So through the front it is...

Name:	IMG_3382.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	189230

I really didn't want to cut a hole only to install some form of door or make a panel cover. As you can see above the frame of the bed was built over top of the piece of panel. So I took a sharp razor knife and I scored along side the bed frame. It took about 10 passes and I had cut through the paneling.

Name:	IMG_3384.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	189232

Then I slowly pulled off the front panel as it is only stapled on. I took wire cutters and clipped off the back of the staples (I didn't want holes)

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	189239

Once removed, I moved my pump and finished installing the kit (I also cleaned up all the factories wood and metal shavings they left behind).

Name:	IMG_3387.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	189233

I still need to reach the water heater bypass valve as I cannot reach them from the front. So I created an access door from the top of the bed area. I cut and 8"x10" hole. I took two pieces of 1x2 and installed under the hole to create a brace so the piece of wood I cut out will lay flush.

Name:	IMG_3390.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	189240

Now I can access the water heater.

Name:	IMG_3389.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	189241

I drilled a 1" hole so it is easy to remove.

Name:	IMG_3392.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	189242

Now all that was left to do is close the front back up. I used three 1/2" black screws that I had left over from some other project.

Name:	IMG_3395.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	189243

And here is the finished project. You can barely see the three screws. Now all I have to do is remove them and I have full access to the pump and winterizing kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	189244  
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #2

Nice
Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #3

DonD, this post was a huge help. I'm a travel trailer newb but wanted to learn winterizing (from Buffalo). Thanks for posting, followed you step by step. If I could reach through the internet and buy you a beer I would.

2018 Cherokee 274dbh
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #4

Nice job. The whole through the board under the bed is on my spring to-do list. I practically have to crawl into the underbed space to turn the water heater valves to bypass. My water pump is in the bathroom, so that shouldn't be a problem.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the positive comments. I have learned so much from this forum in such a short time, it feels good to give back.

As a side note to the bypass, I had trouble getting it to prime. My solution: I don't pull the seal off the antifreeze, but just stick the hose through it. Then I sorta seal off the hose using my hand between my thumb and index finger (like making an OK sign). I then have my wife turn on the pump and slightly turn on the faucet and I immediately turn the jug upside down. It gets it flowing. Took about 1 and 1/2 gallons to fill lines. I did have to prime each gallon this way. Only a tiny bit dribbled onto the floor. After running pink stuff through all the lines (including outside showers and reliving pressure on city water) I dumped the remaining 1/2 gallon in the drains and toilet. $4.58 well spent.

I already have the winterize blues...
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterize, winter