Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #1

287bh Arctic wolf

Hello everyone. About to dewinterize my new 2021 Arctic wolf 287bh fifth wheel. I apologize if this topic has been visited, but the walk through salesman told me something about the water heater and I’m not sure I remember correctly. Lol. I think he said the water heater rocker switch in the camper on the control panel turns on the electric element. If I want to use gas I have to go to water heater itself and turn on the gas. Can anyone verify this? It’s been a couple months since I took delivery.
287bh_Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #2

Sounds backwards. There is a switch on the water heater for the 120VAC heating element and the switch on the control panel controls the water heater on propane gas. Make sure you have filled the water heater before using either electric or gas heat. Water heaters are also bypassed (isolated) from the water system and drained during winterization and must be valved back in to the water system for use.

Tom
2021 Cherokee 274WK
2021 Silverado 2500HD Z71 Duramax
Glen Rose, Tx
baint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #3

[emoji1303] thank you. Yes I was just looking at that today which is why I was wondering which is which. I plan on de winterizing this weekend for a long trip to Tennessee next weekend. I’ve had it out once with no water since it was still winterized, but excited to try it all. Thank you for the response!
Old 03-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #4

Also a side note, when I was back there looking at the bypass valves I noticed the top fitting for hot water out was screwed on loosely. I imagine that would have been a mess.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #5

Good catch. That could have been a mess. Have you reinstalled the water heater anode rod/drain plug. Think it requires a 1 1/16" socket to tighten.

Tom
2021 Cherokee 274WK
Glen Rose, Tx
Old 03-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by baint View Post
Good catch. That could have been a mess. Have you reinstalled the water heater anode rod/drain plug. Think it requires a 1 1/16" socket to tighten.

Not yet! But I have made the trip to harbor freight to get one. All mine at home went up to inch. Lol. I figured once I cleaned the lines of anti freeze I would turn bypass off and let it flush the heater out for a minute, then install the anode. Just to be sure no new debris from the factory is in there hidden ;-) haha...probably being a bit paranoid but oh well.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #7

Not paranoid on a new RV. Makes good sense to flush it out as it has been open to the air for several months. Are you savvy on sanitizing the system after you get the antifreeze flushed out? Should be several posts about sanitizing the system.

Tom
2021 Cherokee 274WK
Glen Rose, Tx
Old 03-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #8

On the water heater outlet which you found loose, did you notice any thread sealant on the fitting as you tightened? You will need thread sealant for the drain plug also.

Tom
2021 Cherokee 274WK
Glen Rose, Tx
Old 03-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #9

The fitting into the heater had sealant and was tight. The fitting that screws onto that fitting was the one that was loose. I was expecting a crimped or clamped fitting there but It is threaded.