Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

2nd AC for Grey Wolf 29TE

Anyone put a 2nd AC on a 29TE? It is AC prepped. That means the wiring is run for power, no other preps from what I read. I have a breaker for the 2nd unit, haven't looked to see if it is connected. Does the second unit connect to the existing ducted unit? (I doubt this). I have read for other TTs that it connects thru the vent in the bunkhouse. This doesn't feel right either. It looks to me that it would be a "drop in" unit with controls like a pop-up AC unit. This means cutting a hole in the roof to install. Am I on the right track here?
HappywifeHappylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

I would think 'prep' would be all the things the factory normally does for a 2nd a/c unit, but just 'without' the 2nd a/c unit itself - 120v wiring from the breaker to the unit, 12v wiring from the thermostat to the unit, and even yes, having it attach to the existing duct work, which is how most 'ducted' multi-unit designs work.

If there is an existing duct outlet where this 'prep' area is, I would imagine that you'd find the 120v and 12v wire terminations there, ready to attach to the new a/c unit, when installed.
The wire from the roof area for the 120v power may be unattached behind your Main Electric Panel, and the same for the 12v wire to the Thermostat, or the place 'for' the Thermostat, which may be just under the current one. When the hole is cut into the appropriate roof area, the existing duct should be right below it, ready to cut the proper size hole and set the a/c unit down into. The ceiling of the area where this 'prep' is will also be where your 'cover' is attached to the unit, to pretty everything up.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #3

There is an outlet cover in the ceiling of the bunkhouse labeled as 2nd AC Prep. That is where the 120V wires are. Don't se thermostat wiring, nor a place for it. It may be there , I would need to check. Not sure if the existing Dometic thermostat would control 2 units. It is not a reliable T-stat, keeps cutting out on me in the middle of the night. I have read this is a somewhat common problem "Prep" appears to be a relative term, dependent on manufacturer and model. Hoping to get model specific info, as I may do the work myself (but likely not, a warranty would be a good thing for this mod).
Old 07-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #4

Sorry I can't answer your specific questions about the 29TE. I wonder what your dealer says about what prep means. Also, is your TT 30 or 50 amp service?

Our 27dbs is a Partriot Edition from AC Nelson. It is 30 amp service and came with two A/C units (13.K btu with hard start capacitors I think ) and I can run both at the same time. There are two thermostats to control them independently but both are connected to the duct system. It also came with a smart electric control system that will shunt power to other circuits if both AC units are running. For example, it will turn off the electric water heater circuit automatically.

Anyway, depending on your electric service, adding a 2nd AC could mean not using other electric appliance when both are running. Also consider BTU and hard start capacitors in the A/C units.

Food for thought...
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #5

Thanks Chickenwing. I have 50A service for the 2nd AC. I only need 30A for a single unit.

My guess is yours is ducted because it came from the factory with 2 units. It would be nice if mine hooks into the ducts. I'm good either way with it

Tags
grey wolf