Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #1

2nd trip with new TT and this happens...

So this ALMOST killed my Mother's Day weekend. (see attachment).

We decided to take a drive down to the lake this past weekend and enjoy our new camper. Perfectly smooth trip with only one stop at a wide open rest area for a quick bathroom break. No structures or trees anywhere, just a huge parking lot. Total distance was about 160 miles with about 90% of that being on a major interstate. We get to our site and I jump out to help direct husband with parking and low and behold I see the back window (right next to where my 4 year old's bunk is) shattered.

It's the emergency window so no way that it was open or anything and I personally crawled into the top bunk to remove the screen and emergency latch, which by the way was a little tricky and difficult to undo. We always travel with all shades down and nothing near a window that might tussle around.

Hindsight, husband "thinks" that there might have been plastic or some kind of debris in the road which happened within the first 10 miles of our trip. We didn't hear anything, feel anything or see anything hit the truck or camper so he thought all was well and didn't even mention it to me aloud at the time. Because he stayed in the truck with our 1 year old while I took the bigger one into the bathroom he didn't even look at that side of the trailer and I was the passenger and never thought to do a 360, not that it would have helped or changed anything.

Of course it was about 7pm 50 degrees and lightly raining when we got to our site However, the camp host and other RV'ers were awesome. They rallied around us an helped with a large piece of cardboard and other items to help us seal it up the best we could.

It actually turned into a great weekend. The weather the next two days was beautiful and the little heater and thermostat in that bad boy keep us warm and cozy all night. We used extra blankets and made the best of it. First night we moved the kiddo to the dinette but by the second night we were comfortable enough to all her back in her bunk, which delighted her.

We took the wolf pup to the dealership this morning and we are lucky that they have the window we need in stock. It was actually previously ordered for another customer but came in wrong or didn't fit (seems that happens a lot in this industry). Saying they'll give us a deal since we don't have to pay freight. We're looking at about $540 installed. Our insurance deductible is $500. We're not worrying too much about a claim. We want this fixed ASAP as we've got several trips planned before the end of the month.

I'm really hoping that this was a fluke and not something we have to look forward to ever other trip...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5054.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	204511  
“There is no Wi-fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection.”
sstevens650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

Glad it all worked out. You got to see the good side of RV neighbors, didn't have it affect your trip negatively and it can be repaired quickly, if not cheaply.

No, you will not have something like that happen every other trip. I've been RVing a while now and you will have a "Darn it" moment once in a while. Many of them are preventable, if you know how. Here are some tips you may or may not be aware of.

Buy and use the little bars they sell to brace things in your fridge so when you arrive and open the doors, stuff in glass jars don't fall out.

Put bread or snack bags or bulky items in your microwave to prevent the glass turntable from bouncing around and being broken.

Make sure your shower door is latched if you have one (not a curtain).

Bungee cord your TV's if they are on articulating arms.

Either pull your shades all the way up or fasten into the little plastic clips at the bottom of the windows so they don't bang against your windows.

Put a bungee cord or some ladies hair bands around the emergency window latches to prevent them from coming open during a trip. They can sometimes bounce out of the little latch and then wind gets behind them and opens them the full length of the latch. I've seen them going down the highway banging against a camper and I had it happen to be once.

Make sure to lock all compartment and your main RV door before traveling. Often have seen compartment doors flapping as I passed an rv on the highway.

If you're a forgetful person or sometimes get distracted, either use a checklist for pre-trip and breaking camp or at a minimum buy some of these for the big items. https://www.campingworld.com/rvminde...hoC7u4QAvD_BwE

By the way, about half of these things have happened to me, the other half I have read about others have happen to them on forums ;-) So we all have things happen, it's about how we deal with them that matters !
Old 05-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

I think as RV’ers (and human beings) we enjoy the feeling of helping out another and saving their trip. As I buy replacement parts for my unit, I typically get 2 JIC someone needs it. I’ve loaned out battery chargers when a converter failed. Granted, there are some sour Susan’s out there but aren’t we all just trying to enjoy stuff?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

I’d call FR to see if something like this would be covered under warrantee. If you did not come close to anything then it could have been defective glass. Especially since it’s only your second trip. Does not hurt to ask. Don’t expect anything but would not hurt to inquire. I don’t think this would be any different than a door falling off inside. If there are not dents or scuff around the window it may have just shattered sitting still.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Glad it all worked out. You got to see the good side of RV neighbors, didn't have it affect your trip negatively and it can be repaired quickly, if not cheaply.

No, you will not have something like that happen every other trip. I've been RVing a while now and you will have a "Darn it" moment once in a while. Many of them are preventable, if you know how. Here are some tips you may or may not be aware of.

Buy and use the little bars they sell to brace things in your fridge so when you arrive and open the doors, stuff in glass jars don't fall out.

Put bread or snack bags or bulky items in your microwave to prevent the glass turntable from bouncing around and being broken.

Either pull your shades all the way up or fasten into the little plastic clips at the bottom of the windows so they don't bang against your windows.

Put a bungee cord or some ladies hair bands around the emergency window latches to prevent them from coming open during a trip. They can sometimes bounce out of the little latch and then wind gets behind them and opens them the full length of the latch. I've seen them going down the highway banging against a camper and I had it happen to be once.

Make sure to lock all compartment and your main RV door before traveling. Often have seen compartment doors flapping as I passed an rv on the highway.

If you're a forgetful person or sometimes get distracted, either use a checklist for pre-trip and breaking camp or at a minimum buy some of these for the big items. https://www.campingworld.com/rvminde...hoC7u4QAvD_BwE

By the way, about half of these things have happened to me, the other half I have read about others have happen to them on forums ;-) So we all have things happen, it's about how we deal with them that matters !
All great ideas and I plan on using several of them, especially using the ladies hair bands (DW calls them pony tail holders) Had that happen twice on the new Tracer, 1st and 2nd trip. When I had it in this winter for warranty work they did some adjustments and it has not happened again (yet) but I will still use the bands just to make sure. Thanks for taking the time to list your suggestions!!

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

I had the same thing happen about a year ago on a Dynamax motorhome. I didn't hit anything in the road, traveled on paved roads to the campsite, didn't hear anything, but when we arrived and got set up the window was shattered. Ours fell down and left a deep scratch in the beautiful paint job that had to be repaired as well. To this day I don't know what could have caused it.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

Sometimes glass may have some defects and the right force at the right spot or the right temperature difference, etc may lead it to shatter.
We had a glass shower door shatter for apparently nothing.
Also things happen on the road, a friend of mine got some road debris that ripped of the electric motor on his stab. jacks on his brand new camper.... It happens.
Good that you had a good time with family and could experience the care of fellow campers.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #8

Broken Window

Last year while traveling on I-40 a piece of carpet flew out of the back of a pickup truck that was passing us. Didn't think a thing about it at the time, knew it came close to our camper but didn't think if hit it, did not hear anything. Hours later at a pit stop we found a rear window on the drivers side all the way in the back of the camper broken out. The only thing we could think of that could have hit it and you wouldn't think a piece of carpet like a sample could break out a window but pretty sure that is what happened. Your window could have been broken out by anything flying through the air and you would not have heard it. Things happen, a RV repairman told me one time putting these things on the road especially interstates was like taking them through a hurricane.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

I have travelled down a perfectly dry and clean highway and picked up rock chips on the windshield and at times the noise of a pebble hitting the window is really loud. These pebbles are usually imbedded in a tire tread when a vehicle comes off a gravel road and comes up to speed the pebble or rock is dislodged and sent hurtling at a great velocity. This would be from a vehicle coming at you from opposite direction.

I am thinking the rock or pebble may have dislodged from a tire and ricocheted off a fender or even bounced on the road and struck your window. I have seen it happen. Being as how these windows are tempered glass they shatter fairly easily if hit just right. Front windows on vehicles are safety glass, two pieces laminated together and they can take a pretty good hit but will not shatter, just chip or create a crack.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

I also recommend checking with FR. That is tempered glass and it can harbor a hidden defect that later causes such an explosion of glass.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #11

Sorry that your window broke. I had one that broke last summer on the top of the world highway. Below is a thread that I replied to about the frame less windows and how to protect them.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-a-174037.html

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #12

Definitely check with FR.

Tempered Glass is a weird animal. You can take a hammer and beat on the face of the glass all day (provided no sharp points on hammer) long without issue.

One little bump in the corner with a sharp object, and poof! Glass is a pile.

Often sometimes the corner wrap has a burr that pokes the corner of the glass, or metal shavings have worked there way to location that pinches the glass.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #13
Erinn

There is an emergency exit, in your TOP bunk?

And, WHY do you travel with all of your blinds all the way DOWN?
06/01/18-11/10/18 Camped 43 days!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post

Good Advice!!

I think the 1/2 that didnt happen to you, happened to us.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #15

**Update**

My dealership filed the warranty claim and they approved it! No out of pocket cost for us and the window has already been repaired. We will be back on the road this next weekend.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

FR definitely earned a customer for life here.

Happy Camping!
“There is no Wi-fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection.”
Old 05-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #16

Going forward I plan on paying an extra $100 a year to get a $250 deductible with my insurance... Lesson learned.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstevens650 View Post
**Update**

My dealership filed the warranty claim and they approved it! No out of pocket cost for us and the window has already been repaired. We will be back on the road this next weekend.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

FR definitely earned a customer for life here.

Happy Camping!
It is VERY nice to hear a Good outcome from your dealership.

Too often we only hear the Bad and the Ugly.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Sorry that your window broke. I had one that broke last summer on the top of the world highway. Below is a thread that I replied to about the frame less windows and how to protect them.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-a-174037.html

Hope This Helps Tim
Excellent advice about the issue in this thread! Just added some door edge trim to my Amazon list so I can install it on the frameless windows before our next trip.
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” - Theodore Roosevelt

TV: 2003 F250 V10 4X4
TT: 2019 Wolf Pup 18TO Black Label
Maticuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #19

Had the same problem heading east on I-40 towards Gatlinburg...stopped at a rest stop and saw our slide emergency window broken into pieces. We diverted to Wal-Mart to pick up as big a plastic thing as we could find (cutting board!), and some Gorilla Duct Tape. Weekend saved

We ended up taking the glass frame out ourselves, took it to a local glass shop, and they matched the frame, the tint and had the glass tempered...under $100. Not too bad of an outcome
Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #20

Broken glass

We had a glass break out on a trip. Trucker told us it was gone. We stopped and had it temporarily repaired and continued our trip. The guy at the glass place told us it happens all the time. A rock get thrown up and catches the edge of the window and bang it gone. Don’t know why they build trailers with exposed edges but that could explain what happened to you
Dmbrons is offline   Reply With Quote