Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #1

A/C dehumidification

Bought a 2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS.
Pretty happy with it so far.
I do find the Coleman A/C does not dehumidify enough at room temperature. Basically I have to turn the unit to the high setting and all the way down to coldest to effectively dehumidify, as can be seen by dripping from the gutter. After running it that way for 20 min or so I can raise the temperature again which makes the relative humidity drop further and then the air inside feels nice and dry. During the night that’s not an option so the trailer feels muggy in the morning.

Any tips?
FredMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #2

Ivation 14.7 dehumidifier
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Same experience with mine, if compressor is not running, humidity shoots ups. I use a 30 pint dehumidifier simultaneously. Especially useful at night when AC is not cycling much, and humidity goes into 90% range without dehumidifier.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Ivation 14.7 dehumidifier
That's so cute! Mine is double the rate of de humidification and struggles to keep up sometimes in just a 17.5' long trailer box. The 1.5g bucket sometimes fills up in 24 hours.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #5

Thanks! I'm assuming the small thermoelectric units are not up to the job?
Any reason to pick compressor over desiccant? On the Ivation website they also show a 13 pint / day desiccant unit that seems to be quieter and lighter compared to the 14.7.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #6
D W

I wasn't aware that these RV air conditioners did any type of dehumidification. As far as I know liquid refrigerant is metered through the evaporator coils chilling them and then absorbing the heat which causes the refrigerant to become a gas, and it is sent to the condenser to be transformed in to liquid again. The outside run-off is merely the heat reacting with the super chilled evaporator coils not allowing it to totally freeze up.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I wasn't aware that these RV air conditioners did any type of dehumidification. As far as I know liquid refrigerant is metered through the evaporator coils chilling them and then absorbing the heat which causes the refrigerant to become a gas, and it is sent to the condenser to be transformed in to liquid again. The outside run-off is merely the heat reacting with the super chilled evaporator coils not allowing it to totally freeze up.

AFAIK, the RV AC units work just like a residential unit so they dehumidify, but I suspect the compressor doesn’t actually run long enough to effectively dehumidify, especially at night when temps are lower.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMP View Post
Thanks! I'm assuming the small thermoelectric units are not up to the job?
Any reason to pick compressor over desiccant? On the Ivation website they also show a 13 pint / day desiccant unit that seems to be quieter and lighter compared to the 14.7.
Those tiny little non-compressor units are a joke, and will not keep up, they might pull a pint of water a day out of air. Dessicant dehumidifies are much more expensive, and still don't dehumidify like a real dehumidifier. But they are useful in that they will work in cold temperatures, unlike most compressor dehumidifiers. And I'm talking about an active desiccant dehumidifier, not one of those silly Eva Dry units which are only capable of absorbing a few table spoons of moisture, essentially worthless unless in a very small space like a safe or closet.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #9

Correct, you want a compressor type dehumidifier the electronic/peltier type leave everything to be desired. I had one, it didn't work very well.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #10

What does it weigh, how big is its footprint, how much heat does it give off and what is the current draw. You are in a 19 ft tt, correct? Everything in life is a tradeoff. You can put a hose on this if you want. Works well for me
Old 07-11-2021, 02:42 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

My trailer is so small, I have to move the dehumidifier from where it normally sits, maybe 2 square feet, so I can put Murphy bed down. Then I put it where dinette is, between benches. Take table top off so as not to block air flow. I wedge it beneath dinette table with pillows and stuff during transit so it's not falling over, moving around. Does give off a little heat, but then that's what the A/C is for. Between A/C and dehumidifier blowers, definitely don't need a white noise machine! Helps mask sound of some brat deciding to run around screaming at 0800 too.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

For transit, this fits nicely in one of those yellow pails that cat litter fits in. Things tend to shift around inside the tt when you drive from point a to b . My tt is big enough that it has its spot on the floor
Old 07-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #13

How about putting it in the shower most of the time? Would that work?
Old 07-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #14

Quote:
How about putting it in the shower most of the time? Would that work?
Dont see any reason why not. Probably with the hose would be better. My tt has 3 rooms and 3 circulating fans to keep air stirred up. Doesnt make a great deal of noise. Current draw under 2A. How much current do you use now in this heat? Have you experienced campground brownout yet. Do you blow breakers?. ..everything's a tradeoff
Old 07-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #15

Haven’t had any power issues so far though I’ve seen 26A on the surge protector display right after plugging in, hopefully the dehumidifier will allow A/C being on low most of the time.
It’s a small trailer, that’s why I wonder if dehumidification would work well enough from the shower. Space (and weight) are indeed expensive do need to carefully choose, but seeing we camp mostly at lakes a dehumidifier seems worth it.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

I would put it in my bathtub, but that's where my dry goods tubs are when not showering, and I'm not sure if air circulation would be ok sitting in the back corner in the tub vs. other locations I mentioned.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Haven’t had any power issues so far though I’ve seen 26A on the surge protector display right after plugging in, hopefully the dehumidifier will allow A/C being on low most of the time.
It’s a small trailer, that’s why I wonder if dehumidification would work well enough from the shower. Space (and weight) are indeed expensive do need to carefully choose, but seeing we camp mostly at lakes a dehumidifier seems worth it.

You must have electric water heater turned on at same time to draw that much, AC does not pull that much. I would turn off electric to water heater when dehumidifier is on.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #18

Thank you all for the advice. A good dehumidifier is exactly what I needed.

I went with the 13-pint Ivation desiccant wheel, because of its ability to work at lower temps, I plan to do some camping in the fall too.
It's nice and quiet at night while still extracting surprising amounts of humidity.

Running it in the bathroom actually works out well, with the dehumidifier's hot air vent pointed at the roof where it escapes via the trailer's bathroom vent. I have a roof cover so it can stay open even when it's raining.

Tags
cat