Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #81

There's a lot of great items here which I have added to my wishlist but I don't think anyone mention Bug Spray. Going camping, never leave home without it!
Old 12-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #82

#1, #1, #1 - TPMS, it will save you repair bills after you blow a tire and more importantly gives you peace of mind! Amazon around $100. I have a GUTA it works great.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #83

winter camping. even here in texas it gets cold enough that a campfire is not enough to stay warm. we layer up with thermals, coats, gloves, hoodies and then sit in a blanket.

also us folks who live in texas might not get fully acclimated to real cold temps.
dowend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #84
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
#1, #1, #1 - TPMS, it will save you repair bills after you blow a tire and more importantly gives you peace of mind! Amazon around $100. I have a GUTA it works great.
X2 - I have been using one since they became affordable around 2005 and it has saved my proverbial ass twice.

But I also think a spare tire for the TV and the TT are essential. Does not have to be on the wheel but if you can manage the weight get it mounted. Plus a jack that will lift both the TV and the TT and experiment with it at home before you try it on the D/S while on the shoulder of I-35. A ramp jack is also effective but I have found with P/S blow outs that to use them they must have a flat surface to not dig in or fall over which the grass verge next to the shoulder is prone to cause.

Be sure you have sockets that fit both the TT and TV with sufficient extension to be able to loosen/tighten. I have discovered that the cheapo 4-way socket wrenches or the ones supplied for most TVs do not give you the leverage to get the socket loose especially if its been installed without a torque wrench. This implies you probably need a breaker bar to loosen that lug nut. It takes a major impact tool to deal with 160 ft/lbs + torque requirements for A's, Super Cs and 1 ton trucks.

And at least 3 warning triangles and puck lights to warn oncoming traffic. The big risk is that the guy in the right lane does not wake up early enough to see your stopped rig until he is so close that he cannot avoid being close enough to side swipe you.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #85

Stuff we really needed

A Bulldog power monitor with surge suppression.

An electronic tire gauge with pistol grip, a clip on end fitting, and air compressor fitting.

A folding step stool to reach the top shelves.

two telescoping rods with yellow balls on the end for backing up to the hitch

A set of tools just for the TT
MontanaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #86
Dryflycaster

Ditched the fold out sofa bed for two recliners.

Added a stairs entry Grab Handle/Railing.

Removed the shower apparatus (Curtain and sprayer), leaving the tub in place, (Use local showers at the campgrounds instead) and installed a upper kitchen cabinet for more storage.

Removed and replaced the blinding LED lights over the recliners with adjustable brightness LED units.

Replaced the 20# with 30# Propane tanks.

Added a second deep cycle 12 volt battery.

Replaced the bat wing TV antenna with a King.

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
X2 - I have been using one since they became affordable around 2005 and it has saved my proverbial ass twice.

But I also think a spare tire for the TV and the TT are essential. Does not have to be on the wheel but if you can manage the weight get it mounted. Plus a jack that will lift both the TV and the TT and experiment with it at home before you try it on the D/S while on the shoulder of I-35. A ramp jack is also effective but I have found with P/S blow outs that to use them they must have a flat surface to not dig in or fall over which the grass verge next to the shoulder is prone to cause.

Be sure you have sockets that fit both the TT and TV with sufficient extension to be able to loosen/tighten. I have discovered that the cheapo 4-way socket wrenches or the ones supplied for most TVs do not give you the leverage to get the socket loose especially if its been installed without a torque wrench. This implies you probably need a breaker bar to loosen that lug nut. It takes a major impact tool to deal with 160 ft/lbs + torque requirements for A's, Super Cs and 1 ton trucks.

And at least 3 warning triangles and puck lights to warn oncoming traffic. The big risk is that the guy in the right lane does not wake up early enough to see your stopped rig until he is so close that he cannot avoid being close enough to side swipe you.
How do you put a wheel on a TV?
80 Cruiser Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #88

Anyone have a link discussing the benefits of having 2 6V batteries instead of one 12v?

Some great info. I will need to go thru this thread and make a short list of items I want to start with. Some items I would have never thought of, but I see their critical role.

Thanks! This is great!
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
Anyone have a link discussing the benefits of having 2 6V batteries instead of one 12v?

Some great info. I will need to go thru this thread and make a short list of items I want to start with. Some items I would have never thought of, but I see their critical role.

Thanks! This is great!
ASPER Bing:
The second and most compelling reason for using 6V RV deep cycle batteries instead of 12V ones is the weight. Two 71 lbs 6V batteries with 225ah are way more manageable than one 114 lbs 12V battery with 200ah. They are also smaller in length and width and more likely to fit in the designated storage area of your RV.

You can find many videos on YouTube also.
https://youtu.be/NjPquFVxtxs
Old 12-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
ASPER Bing:
The second and most compelling reason for using 6V RV deep cycle batteries instead of 12V ones is the weight. Two 71 lbs 6V batteries with 225ah are way more manageable than one 114 lbs 12V battery with 200ah. They are also smaller in length and width and more likely to fit in the designated storage area of your RV.

You can find many videos on YouTube also.
https://youtu.be/NjPquFVxtxs
Thank you!
Old 12-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #91
Site Team

Quote:
All Tow Vehicles have wheels in this part of the country.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #92

Wink Leveling Blocks

In lieu of using wood blocks or those plastic leggo-like blocks I use rubber pavers. You can get them at Lowes or Menards.

Since the rubber pavers are 16" square so I use a utility knife to split a couple of them in half (16" x 8") and stack them up as necessary to level my trailer side-to-side.

Then, if I have leftovers, I spread them out under the steps to function as a doormat.

Finally, when I visit the dump site, I stack them all up under the curb-side wheel to facilitate the flow out of the grey tank.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
In lieu of using wood blocks or those plastic leggo-like blocks I use rubber pavers. You can get them at Lowes or Menards.

Since the rubber pavers are 16" square so I use a utility knife to split a couple of them in half (16" x 8") and stack them up as necessary to level my trailer side-to-side.

Then, if I have leftovers, I spread them out under the steps to function as a doormat.

Finally, when I visit the dump site, I stack them all up under the curb-side wheel to facilitate the flow out of the grey tank.
Good idea. They probably don't slide around when trying to pull up on them, assuming they are dry.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #94

Lightbulb Rubber Pavers for Leveling Blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
... They probably don't slide around when trying to pull up on them....
Precisely!! There's just enough "grit" in the texture to keep them from slipping when they're stacked up (wet or dry).
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #95
Site Team

Quote:
In RV forum speak:

TV- Tow Vehicle
tv- television
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #96
Site Team

My only must-have is my keyring. So when I get to my trailer, I can unlock my doors and my shed.

Everything else I need is already there waiting for me.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #97

Accumulator and pressure swings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
The first mod I have made to every RV I owned is a 2 gal. accumulator tank for the water system. You can install it anywhere there is room, and have access to the pressure side of a cold water pipe.
Does that reduce pressure swings when the pump cycles? Bladder tank?
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.mullins4 View Post
ZeroWater 6-Cup Space Saver Water Filter Pitcher, reduce weight and space, filter any campsite water. Unlimited supply
Zero water does a LOT more than the typical inline filter - plan on the same!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.mullins4 View Post
Installed an RV dirt devil Vacuum in cubby, only thing to store is hose and vacuum head tools, 110v though
Excellent idea! Was planning on a Vacmaster beast sitting under the Dinette seats. MO Power and $89! Use just the filter bag.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:16 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Best thing I did to our TT was, in no particular order:

• Change out the manual jack with a Husky electric jack.

• Add a second propane QC back at the outdoor kitchen so we can run the stove and Blackstone/Weber Q simultaneously.
  • Change the oem shower head to a Oxygenics RV Body Spa
  • Replace the useless Ventline fan with a Hengs Vortex II and add the "RV Chandelier"
  • Add a battery cutoff switch
  • Replace the oem "Drive" radio with a much better "Dual" unit (still not the best but tons better...) and replace all the speakers with quality Rockford Fosgates for the inside and MB Quart marine speakers for the outside.
  • Added a 24" tv in the bedroom
  • put bug screens on the refrigerator vent, Water Heater and Furnace vents
  • Install a flag pole mount
Next mod will probably be adding an accumulator tank to the water system. And maybe some new steps...

**EDIT** I guess that was more a mods list... but...

As for Accessories:

• Wood blocks for leveling AND Beech Lane levelers (same thing as Andersens, but cheaper and comparable quality)-- in my experience, you will need both!! Sometimes the Beech Lanes will slide/slip where the wood blocks won't, and vice versa... sometimes you'll need to put the Beech Lanes on top of the wood blocks to get enough lift to level...
  • X-Chocks
  • A Blackstone griddle if you like to cook outside
  • Build yourself a tool kit/tool bag. Pliers, wrenches, small socket set, screwdrivers, zip ties, etc
  • Flashlights
  • Hurricane Lanterns and tabletop torches burning citronella oil fuel
  • zero gravity chairs
  • coolers
  • electric or battery powered leaf blower
  • Anything else you want to spoil yourself at the campground

Someone else also suggested an accumulator tank great idea. Was considering the following but have to figure out a clean way to strap it down and a base bracket for vertical install.
https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Stainl...6910885&sr=8-7

Tags
accessories