Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #61

I always add the DOT reflective tape to the rear bumper and on each side at the back, middle and front. If for some reason you loose lights, you at least have the highly reflective tape. It also adds visibility even with the lights.
2016 F350 CCSB 4wd 6.2 4.3
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzilla46310 View Post
I always add the DOT reflective tape to the rear bumper and on each side at the back, middle and front. If for some reason you loose lights, you at least have the highly reflective tape. It also adds visibility even with the lights.
Great idea! I think I just got rid of a strip of the stuff...
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #63

Lots of good ideas here. Lots depends on how you camp. Boondocking or sites with electrical and water? One thing not mentioned is a leveling bubble, I use a 2' level on the back bumper with small 1/4" bocks to determine side toside height adjustment.

Solar panels ( I use a 100w suitcase) if you boondock, would be my number one exterior. Rechargeable motion activated closet lights are my fav interior additions.

I don't think anyone mentioned water pressure regulators for your freshwater connection hose and an adapter to pressurize (air) your water lines for clearing of water for winterizing. I also bought an inexpensive meter to measure how many gallons on freshwater I've added to my tank.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #64

You can make a great list. For me I would add a small charcoal grill - we love to bbq/grill outside and the camp ground grills are not what I want. I use a small weber. My wife would say her collapsible dish drainer pan thingy. It collapses and can fit nicely under the sink - it is mostly silicone. TPMS for sure! The dog for sure. The DW is optional.
North Texas Retirees having fun
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #65

Mopeka propane indicator

My Mopeka propane tank digital indicators that interface to my phone. Gives me % used in a visual format. Takes the guesswork out of “red” “green” gauge. Very accurate system.
Bigragu5749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #66

Top of the list in my opinion.
Back up Camera.
Tire Pressure Monitor for trailer.
First Aid Kit. ( Not something from the drug store. A real comprehensive kit)

Safety First!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
Absolutely correct. Everything I do while backing my 8’ wide trailer through the 9.5’ gate is slow and careful. Pulling out can take even longer if I don’t line it up perfectly while backing it in. That’s part of why I leave the leveling blocks in place while we’re gone. They give me a target.
We have found that walkie talkies are better, and you can get really good ones under $30 on amazon. We use these all the time, and when you get in a pickle and you have these, the peanut gallery stays quiet and lets you do your thing.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #68

front jack stand,front power jack, elec and gas hw tank, big shower,power awning,
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #69

It's a stretch to call this an accessory, but after I installed my disk brakes and felt the amazing difference in stopping power ... I'd definitely put in in the "can't live without" category.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
While TT's are hardly an invest, we'd still like to protect it as best we can. What are some accessories you added to yours that have proven invaluable? I like to buy once and buy right, so I am leaning on your experience as to what we should consider purchasing for our new Wolf Pup. I'm thinking in terms of water filters, power conditioners, leveling chocks, etc. The only thing we have is a cover at this point. Well, I lied actually. When the tire blew on a rented camper this past summer, I purchased a 4-way lug wrench and PSI gauge. I also will be adding a screw jack so I don't have to unload the kids and half the interior of my truck to get to mine. Thanks!
Generator, 30 amp.

Tire minder.

Battery drill and wrench for your leveling jacks, that could be welded to the rig.

Electric toung jack.

Anti sway and leveling hitch.

Good Sam roadside assistance.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #71

Extension sewer drain hose, we were at a full hookup, but could not attach to sewer drain due to distance from our black water connection.
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
While TT's are hardly an invest, we'd still like to protect it as best we can. What are some accessories you added to yours that have proven invaluable? I like to buy once and buy right, so I am leaning on your experience as to what we should consider purchasing for our new Wolf Pup. I'm thinking in terms of water filters, power conditioners, leveling chocks, etc. The only thing we have is a cover at this point. Well, I lied actually. When the tire blew on a rented camper this past summer, I purchased a 4-way lug wrench and PSI gauge. I also will be adding a screw jack so I don't have to unload the kids and half the interior of my truck to get to mine. Thanks!
Get a tire pressure monitoring system installed. You’ve already experienced the problem of a flat tire.
Second, get a set for of tools (hammer, wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers) and a mallet. Add some fuses, zip ties, spare lightbulbs, and a screw kit and a bolt kit. Make sure to have a flashlight with extra batteries.
A waterproof poncho or jacket.
Step rugs and a rubber mat for the base of the stairs.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #73

that depends on the type of camping you do. my dad taught me a good tip. keep a list of what you did use each trip and get rid of things you carry around and never use. -because weight is important.
also a small toolkit for simple repairs. a covered storage site so the tt is not ruined by constant exposure, electric heater to stop it freezing when in storage, tire covers.
and electric blankets for use around the camp fire, omg they are awesome.
dowend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowend View Post
that depends on the type of camping you do. my dad taught me a good tip. keep a list of what you did use each trip and get rid of things you carry around and never use. -because weight is important.
also a small toolkit for simple repairs. a covered storage site so the tt is not ruined by constant exposure, electric heater to stop it freezing when in storage, tire covers.
and electric blankets for use around the camp fire, omg they are awesome.
Good post, but I have to ask, what kind of camping are you doing that requireS you to bring electric blankets and use them next to a warm campfire?
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #75

Welcome to the forum. We put a Lend A Hand entry grab handle since the camper we have now has 3 steps and high; easier to get in and out of camper; also put a grab handle between bottom and top entry door (nice to grab that hand to close the door); also had our top entry door glass tinted and took out the smokey glass look. I like to see who's coming to my door. We have a 2015 Palomino Puma TT w/slide and outdoor kitchen; just had to add an electric hitch and new propane cover. Bought new tires, and new covers for the metal steps; bought cover for spare tire, and new electrical covers for outside outlets and cable connections; also got a fishnet laundry basket that twists away flat when not in use, but we keep it open in one of the bathroom closets; also got a First Aid kit. Still have a few things we need to replace but we got a good deal on the camper, so we go whenever we can. Got the little fan for the fridge too, helps fridge to cook faster and keeps it cold. Skylight in kitchen we block at night and the upper entry door glass with the aluminum cover, Walmart or Camping World has them. Happy Camping. I'm sure I left out a few things as well. There's always something extra; Oh, and you also need the drop-ins to sanitize your black tank and keep things flowing, always use lots of water. Later.
Janet Geal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:19 PM   #76

I keep a list of accessories that I've bought to go with our Wolf Pup, mainly to see how much I'm spending on accessories. Looking over it now, I'd say the must haves are:
External water filter
Rubber wheel chocks
Brake controller, because my truck didn't have one
Water pressure regulator
MaxxAir bathroom vent cover (hail storm dented the aluminum siding but didn't break my roof vent)
Snap on tow mirrors, because my truck didn't have tow mirrors
Surge protector (the one I have is an inexpensive one that I mainly use to check polarity before I connect)
I carry an assortment of wood blocks and boards for leveling
TPMS
4 way lug wrench (make sure it fits your trailer lugs, the one I had didn't, had to buy a thinner wall one to fit the wheels)

Other items that I have that I think are a good idea, but not a necessity:
Extra 25' drinking water hose
Extra sewer hose
Battery disconnect switch, if you don't have one
Screens for water heater, furnace, and refrigerator vents to keep critters out
Extra power cord
2 way faucet splitter (along with a 2' piece of garden hose) to enable use of water spigot with RV hose connected
12V portable air compressor
Hydraulic bottle jack
50 to 30 amp pigtail adapter

I already have an assortment of tools in the truck, along with a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

On our maiden voyage we were leaving in a heavy rain. While we had good rainsuits in the truck, we just put on the convenient dollar store plastic rain ponchos (2 for $1) and made it just fine.

I have other items such as a cover, mainly to keep the wet leaves from laying on the roof over the winter (in the spring I'll decide if it was worth it), a pair of 2,000 watt generators for next year (planning a cross country trip).
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:58 PM   #77

Accessories you can’t live without

Here are two things don’t add any weight and may just save you a few dollars or prevent you from having to do a face-palm.

A spare key located in a secret place that you’ll remember so you don’t have to break into the TT when you lock your dogs inside, realize you don’t have a spare key, you’re at least 3 hours from the nearest CAA/AAA lock-picking service and it’s already 9:00 at night.

A user-designed manual of how-to items (e.g. how to winterize the unit) and collection of check lists for seasonal preparation and for anything else that you think you might forget from one trip or year to the next. I keep mine on my iPad so that I can update it with things I forget, like where the new spare key is kept.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:13 AM   #78

Must have PUP equipment

Hi, we've had a Jayco Pup for 20 years, and just upgraded last year to a larger Forest River u-shaped dinette model. Love it so far.
So here are my must have's and some added convenience items.
Note: we mostly dry camp
Brake controller - if your pup is almost to your towing capacity.
Two 12v marine batteries with 100w solar panel - my favorite so far is this DOKIO we purchased on Amazon[/URL] We bought one two years ago and loved so much that we purchased a second of the same model this year.
Lynx Levelor blocks - we've been getting away with one set with our smaller Pup, but we need a second set with this larger higher model
Set of 4 wheel chocks
pack of reflective blankets [about $8] we use these for so many things, covering the bear box to keep cooler from burning through too much ice, bunk covers if it's really hot out, shade spot for the dog, etc.
Two solar LED lights.[/URL] These are our favorites, we've had them for several years and they're still going strong.
Small stack of wood blocks - about 12" long, scraps of 2x4 to set the tongue jack on so the end doesn't get damaged. We also have a wheel, but I feel like the camper is more stable on a wood block.
This is a starter list - you'll find plenty of things you want to add depending on your camping style.
OptiMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:49 AM   #79

essentials

I agree with all the things above, I might add check the brand of your tires, if you get upgraded E range Goodyear Endurance, you might save a a lot of hassle down the road (search "china bombs" on the forum).

Essential is a loose term...

TMPS, yes !!
Get your rig/truck level, get weighed full; and dial in a Weight Distribution/ anti-sway bars, another search item (I use Husky 32216 CL TS).
good surge protector.
water pressure regulator for hooking to city water.
check the fresh water tank supports, (another searchable topic).
8-10" foam mattress.
a nice down comforter.
outdoor matts CGear, large and medium.
Propane BBQ (I like Pit Boss with 2 burners, and those matts you can cook on top of).
25' and 10' garden hoses.
a small dry erase board to write down all the things you need to fix or buy so you can write it down as you think of it.
inline water filter.
Power adapter 50 amp to 30 amp; and other dogbones.
remote read refrigerator and another temp sender for freezer to read temp without opening fridge.
Pizza stone for bottom of oven to distribute heat and avoid burning everything to try to oven cook.
Aeropress coffee press to make coffee. (Maybe a hand bean grinder).
Yeti coffee cups.
star gazer chairs.
a meat probe (duel) and guage to keep track of oven temp and cook meat perfect by ThermoWorks, pricy, but will last forever and can use at home everytime you cook meat, etc.
Small hair traps for all the sinks/shower.
good 12v air pump.
3 or 4 Puck Lights LED, 3" push center to on/off.
floor matt for outside, and one for inside by door, maybe a couple for in front of kitchen/sink, and one for bathroom.
refrigerator fan.
outdoor cloth tablecloth for the picnic table
small 1 liter Solo pump spray bottle with nozzle to spray outdoor tables with disinfectant/alcohol ... ie. for the new norm !!
and, at least 2 6V trojan golf cart batteries.

Its infinite .... welcome to the show.

someday... propane firepit.
Longevity ? Wanna stop dry rot...think about Eternabond taping over every seam, roof attachments caulk, and openings that had dicor... and the sides ands corners... another searchable topic);(Also Lexall caulk the windows and door frames around top and sides, never use silicone caulk).
victron batterey monitor bluetooth.
someday upgrade the kitchen sink and fixtures...
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:35 AM   #80

A cheap Chinese diesel air heater with afterburner controller AND an oil filled radiator
AndyFirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessories