Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

adding some extra lights

First off I'm new here but not new to forums operation. I did do a search already but didn't come up with anything. I have an 06 Cherokee 5th heel 285b+. I am going to replace all the running lights and tail lights with led units and I want to add a few extra ones here and there.. Particularly on the front cap, front side upper corners, rear side upper corners as well as add a high mounted brake/running light on the rear. Does anyone know how the exisitng wires are run to the top rear running lights and rear brake/turn lights for access purposes and the front cap lights ?
jettech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Welcome to the Forum!

As to how the wires are run...
Haphazardly is the word that first comes to mind!

Actually in my Flagstaff they are pigtailed and you would need to remove the outside fitting to get to the main wiring behind the wall. In almost every case they are not accessible from inside.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #3

I dont know what year & kind of T/V you have,but some newer trucks have to be changed in the truck computer to work properly when changing to all LEDs. Just saying. Welcome to the Frog group! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

As to how the wires are run...
Haphazardly is the word that first comes to mind!

Actually in my Flagstaff they are pigtailed and you would need to remove the outside fitting to get to the main wiring behind the wall. In almost every case they are not accessible from inside.
That's kind of what I figured. I didn't see any kind of access from inside, I was hoping there was some kind of channel in the rear wall ( I have the laminated sides) to feed some extra wires up to the high mounted brake/turn/running light I was going to try to add. Guess I'll just have to pull some lights and see what I find.

2006 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado LBZ diesel (with a few mods )
Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I was working on (go figure) another project (the eternabond) and I spotted where wires entered a Styrofoam channel. The helpful folks at FR filled the channel with caulking to make sure no water gets in and no wires can be removed or added.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I was working on (go figure) another project (the eternabond) and I spotted where wires entered a Styrofoam channel. The helpful folks at FR filled the channel with caulking to make sure no water gets in and no wires can be removed or added.
Where did you see the channel.

2006 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado LBZ diesel (with a few mods )
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettech View Post
Where did you see the channel.
When I removed the weather cap on the fridge vent there was a bundle of wires that came up the vent and entered the ceiling panel through a Styrofoam channel. That channel was filled with caulk.

To be fair, I suppose it was better to have that channel filled with caulk than have a path for water to get in. I do wonder about the choice of using the fridge vent to route AC and DC wiring.