Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
rsl

Air Conditioner Performance

Should the Air Conditioner in my 36 foot 5er be able to cool it down to a temp less then 80 degrees during the day? It is a brand new 15k unit. The original 15k unit had a leak and had to be replaced (since it is supposed to be a sealed unit). I am pretty sure the old unit had no problem keeping the temp around 75 even on a 100 degree day (before it leaked) but this unit today on a 95 degree day would only drop the temp to around 80 after running all day.

I have a 2010 Forest River Cherokee 295U. Is everyone else with this trailer (size) having issues keeping it cool?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

No experience with a 36' 5er, but;
All AC (refrigeration units using some type of refrigeration gas) work on the same principle. If the unit is working properly, the Output Air Temp. should be 28-30 degrees f less than the Input Air Temp. If you check the temps. (as close to the unit as possible) it will give you useful data when talking to the service manager.

Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Should the Air Conditioner in my 36 foot 5er be able to cool it down to a temp less then 80 degrees during the day? It is a brand new 15k unit. The original 15k unit had a leak and had to be replaced (since it is supposed to be a sealed unit). I am pretty sure the old unit had no problem keeping the temp around 75 even on a 100 degree day (before it leaked) but this unit today on a 95 degree day would only drop the temp to around 80 after running all day.

I have a 2010 Forest River Cherokee 295U. Is everyone else with this trailer (size) having issues keeping it cool?
I would say "yes" it should be able to get the inside temp down below 80 degrees. But......a lot of variables will determine that. For example, if your camper has been closed for sometime and sitting in 90 degree plus heat, then everything inside your camper is 90 plus degrees. If your A/C is working properly, it should do two things. 1. remove humidity and 2. cool the air in the process.
You say your original unit "had a leak". Am I correct to assume it had a refrigerant leak? If so, and you had a new unit installed, did the new unit work properly when you picked it up? Did you run it and feel cold air coming from the registers?
You also need to make sure everything is closed. Bathroom vent, windows, screen door and remains closed (as much as possible) while the A/C is running so that it has an opportunity to bring down the inside temp.
I would suggest you get a meter that gives you the ability to test temperatures. I have a Fluke (not sure of the exact model) but I can plug in a temp probe and test intake air and discharge air temperatures. As another poster suggested, there should be a significant temp difference. If there is not, your compressor may not be coming on, or you are out of refrigerant charge. Hope this helps.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
rsl

I purchased a Qucik Chill Grill and installed it, what a difference. Even with all it's vents open there is plenty of air coming through the ducted vents. Does this mean there were noot enough vents installed from the factory and I should add some more?