Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

Almost Ready to Buy a Wolf Pup 16FQ

My husband and I have spent much time lately debating on whether to buy the Wolf Pup 16FQ or the Coachmen Clipper 17FQ. We like them both. Both have pros to us. They are very similar and weight and cost is almost the same. Our needs are a queen sized north south bed and under 3000 lbs empty. I don't really trust what the salespeople tell us, because each of them wants a sale!

We keep going back and forth, because we like them both. We're thinking maybe there's something we're missing that stands out on one of these units as opposed to the other, that might help us decide.

So my question is: has anybody here made the decision of one of these instead of the other, and can you tell me what your deciding factors are?

Thanks.

I should add, we are both newbies. Neither of us has camped since we were kids (both in our 50s now), so really, this is all new to us.
Najean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:04 AM   #2

I have a 2015 wolf pup 16Bhs. Coachman has a similar design to mine, also. I didn't know about coachman before I bought mine and haven't been in one. After I boughtine, I learned about coachman and compared. I like that the coachman has the front window but I like that my pup has the more rounded fiberglass front more. The pup you're looking at can carry more weight that the comparable coachman but the coachman is bigger. The tanks are the same in your 2, but my tanks are bigger.
I like the fit and finish of the pup a lot! There was only one in this price range that was better but it weighed more so I went with the pup. It was the keystone hideout 17lhs. It had a nicer feel on the inside but with my tow vehicle, I have a strict 3500# limit and the keystone was 3300# dry! My pup is 3060# dry. Hope this helps! I wish mine had the bath lavatory like yours! That and drawers for utencils! Two things I didn't notice until we were filling it with stuff on our maiden night!
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

New 16FQ

We switched this spring from a 1997 Aerolite FK25 to a Wolf Pup 16FQ. We are happy so far. We've both been camping all our lives. We've moved from tents, to pop up to the Aerolite.

The 16FQ pulls well. We are slowly working on some additions. We will be adding a medicine cabinet with a mirror to the bathroom. We are used to more storage so we are adding two drawers under the end of the bed to make better use of that space. We were disappointed that the upper cabinet doors didn't stay open by themselves. We took the spring loaded struts out of the Aerolite and installed them on the cabinets of the Wolf Pup. We had to replace the hose coming off the propane tank. Apparently chipmunks like the rubber coating.

Good luck with your decision.
CJ (Claudia Jean) Pit/Lab mix
2016 Trips 6 Nights 18
2017 Trips 0 Nights 0
Prof and Agate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najean View Post
My husband and I have spent much time lately debating on whether to buy the Wolf Pup 16FQ or the Coachmen Clipper 17FQ. We like them both. Both have pros to us. They are very similar and weight and cost is almost the same. Our needs are a queen sized north south bed and under 3000 lbs empty. I don't really trust what the salespeople tell us, because each of them wants a sale!

We keep going back and forth, because we like them both. We're thinking maybe there's something we're missing that stands out on one of these units as opposed to the other, that might help us decide.

So my question is: has anybody here made the decision of one of these instead of the other, and can you tell me what your deciding factors are?

Thanks.

I should add, we are both newbies. Neither of us has camped since we were kids (both in our 50s now), so really, this is all new to us.

Both of those are single axle. I purchased a single axle wildwood x-lite 185rb and wished I would have bought a tandom axle for safety reasons if a blow out should occur you still have stability with another tire per side . Just something to consider
DougHeffernan is offline   Reply With Quote