Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
Long time camper.

ANOTHER Winterizing mystery

Ok, I’ve been around a while. For the first time I used RV antifreeze on my 2015 Cherokee. Used to run in the air pressure group, but, you guys convinced me to go with the antifreeze.

So, I learned earlier this year from youse, there is a little button under the screen in the city water port. If the pump doesn’t pump, try pushing that button. You didn’t tell me a quart of water will rush out all over my shirt.

Now I completed the antifreeze pumping, sucking, spilling and dumping. On my last walk around, I thought check that button. Yes, again a quart of water (not antifreeze) on my shirt.

What damage would be caused by not releasing that water? Never saw recommendations to let that water out for freezing temps. Why did my water pump, pump water all summer with pressure in the city water line? What does that little shirt squirter do, besides squirting shirts?

Thanks, SamTummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

That little 'squirter' is a check valve so that when you are NOT connected to city water, the on-board pump does not push water out the city water connection. Pushing that check valve has been in most all the recommendations I've seen for winterizing with antifreeze so I'm not sure why you missed it.

Below is a simple schematic of the plumbing system. You can see how the city water side and the on-board water side connect.

BTW... the often discussed failure of the internal check valve inside the on-board water pump does exactly the same thing when on city water... it keeps the city water from backflowing into the fresh tank. (hopefully!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing_03.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	242414  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
Brake is on left

If you leave a faucet on after turning off the water pump, it will relieve the pressure in the system and your shirt squirter won't squirt.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
D W

The whole object of pushing the button is to ensure the antifreeze pushes the water out of that section of the line. The OP stated he had just water squirting out, therefor that section of the line was not winterized. I always start with the outside shower and city water connection then work my way from the bathroom to the kitchen where the water pump is located. The same way you bleed brakes on an automobile. Lastly I crack the low point drains and let gravity do it's job. When I get pink stuff at all fixtures, I'm done.

In full disclosure, the first time I winterized I also got a sleeve full of water, then antifreeze. The next time I new enough to stand off to the side when I pushed the button.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing