Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #21

We got a new 23MK last year and a new Andersen hitch to go with it. Pull it with a 1500 Ram, the hitch does a great job of distributing weight and sway control. I previously had a similar sized trailer and a WDH with bars. The Andersen hitch does a better job for me. It's lighter, simple hook up, I like it.
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
I had the old friction anti-sway on a lighter trailer than current. Broke several when I FORGOT TO RELEASE THEM WHEN BACKING UP. Now towing 7200 LB. V front TT w/ Equalizer. World of difference! No longer cringe ever time a semi-truck passes me. You need a WDH that has anti-sway built in, like Equaizer. A lot of good ones out there. If you go w/ Equalizer, get the nylon pads that go over the bar hangers. People say the sound of crushing rocks goes away after they wear in. I got tired of DW and people in the camp ground running for cover as you drive thru the campground and turn. I have also found pads make hooking up easier as the bars slide on better. Good traveling!
The only way to break a friction bar is to jack knife the trailer while backing. I have a dual friction bar setup and have never adjusted them to back into a site.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #23
Ham Call N8SAC

Always use a equalizer system with a sway control. And remember that the hitches only have half the rating if you don’t use the bars on the equalizer hitch. A 10,000 lb hitch is only good for 5,000 without the bars.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell D Pratt View Post
Always use a equalizer system with a sway control. And remember that the hitches only have half the rating if you don’t use the bars on the equalizer hitch. A 10,000 lb hitch is only good for 5,000 without the bars.
Not quite. The hitch on my Ram 1500 was rated at 16,000 tow/1600 tongue with WD setup. Without WD, it was rated at 15,000/1500.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
It is not an either/or thing.

You will need both.
Definitely X2!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #26

Interesting that the dealer sold them a new trailer but neglected to educate them, even a little, about their WDH needs. Or if they had enough truck to pull it.

As a side note, we were at Lazy Days in Tampa yesterday looking at a 5er we had an interest in. Before they would even let us see it, they had to see my TV and read the GVW sticker on the door to be sure we could tow it. Also, they weigh all of their units coming in, both axle and tongue/pin weights and hang a tag on them with those numbers.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #27

We have a 2019 f150 with 3.5 eco max tow 10k, just got a grey wolf 23dbh and had a husky centerline ts wdh installed. Love it very little sway.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Interesting that the dealer sold them a new trailer but neglected to educate them, even a little, about their WDH needs. Or if they had enough truck to pull it.

As a side note, we were at Lazy Days in Tampa yesterday looking at a 5er we had an interest in. Before they would even let us see it, they had to see my TV and read the GVW sticker on the door to be sure we could tow it. Also, they weigh all of their units coming in, both axle and tongue/pin weights and hang a tag on them with those numbers.

That’s good news about Lazy Days, they just bought out the dealer I got our trailer from and was a little worried about it
mz_cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #29

My two cents worth: I'm on my second TT using the same Equalizer brand hitch with additional sway bar. I won't do this again. The current set-up works although the sway bar tends to make a lot of noise when first leaving out then settles down. I am seriously contemplating purchasing a new WDH with built-in sway control. A friend suggested that we remove his WDH with sway control, put this on my unit and go for a ride. What a total nigh/day difference that made. I don't remember the brand he has but it does not have chains, just lift the torsion bar up into place on the TT end, secure with a square bar thingy and hit the road.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
My two cents worth: I'm on my second TT using the same Equalizer brand hitch with additional sway bar. I won't do this again. The current set-up works although the sway bar tends to make a lot of noise when first leaving out then settles down. I am seriously contemplating purchasing a new WDH with built-in sway control. A friend suggested that we remove his WDH with sway control, put this on my unit and go for a ride. What a total nigh/day difference that made. I don't remember the brand he has but it does not have chains, just lift the torsion bar up into place on the TT end, secure with a square bar thingy and hit the road.
Thurman, Equalizer is a brand of WDH, that doesn't use add-on friction away bars.
Sounds like you have a old tech WDH, not an Equalizer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, weight