Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 01:22 AM   #1

Arctic Wolf Lift and Wheel/Tire Upgrade

I find this forum to be a great tool to research and learn from others experiences and knowledge. So, I thought I would provide info. on the upgrade and lift of my Arctic Wolf that could be of benifit to others.

Background - The primary reason for the changes was to get rid of the original Castle Rock tires that where stock when the trailer was purchased. After, two years of use I no longer wanted to continue to risk the expense and dangers of tire blowouts. Having previously owned a toy hauler on which I installed Maxxis tires, with no tire failures over 10 years. I was eager to upgrade tires. Secondly, after towing for a year, I had rear air bags installed on the tow vehicle. Again, based on past experience with the toyhauler, the bags improved towing stability greatly by reducing chucking and bouncing on rough roads. However, the bags, when aired, resulted in an increase in towing nose high from about 2-3 inches to about 5-6 inches. The rear of the fifth wheel was also bottoming out at steeper driveways.

Probably could have extended the use of the Chinese tires, and the nose high towing was likely not that big of an issue. However, the safety of my family is always my primary concern. Thus, the expense of these upgrades (definitely not inexpensive) was worth it for my peace of mind and towing comfort. Besides I had always been bothered by large 13 foot 10,000# trailers sitting on small 14-15 inch wheels.

Upgrades: Had the Lippert Tandem axle lift kit installed by dealer. Researched and found the Lippert kit to be compatible with the Lippert frame. Dealer agreed that it was what they commonly installed. Also, had the Equiflex Cushions installed. Resulted in a lift of approx. Two inches. Since, I was purchasing new tires, I decided to go with larger 16 inch tires to gain an additional 1.5 inches in trailer height. Went with new Goodyear Endurance (235/80r16) after researching and finding nothing but great reviews. They also provided an increase in load capacity (up to 3420#s at 80psi). Went with Raceline Mamba wheels (weight rating of 3,200#s). The tire and wheel upgrade provides more load capacity than needed and previously provided by the stock 15 inch tires and wheels at 2830#s each. Also, still have nearly two inches of spacing between tires.

The changes resulted in a lift of the rear of the fifth wheel by approx. 2-3 inches. Note pics are not the greatest since ground is not level and there is no air in the tow vehicle bags. Therefore, will still be towing 2-3 inches nose high. Have not had the opportunity to tow the fifth wheel with upgrades outside of a few miles. However, towing initially felt significantly more stable and no more rear end drag at driveways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6392.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	223977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6394.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	223978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6373.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	223983  
rd1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #2

What effect did it have on the levelers?
stevem4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

Sorry, but will not have the opportunity to test levelers until we get out in a month. Do not anticipate an issue.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #4

Curious, how often did you camp using those old tires? I have Castle Rock tires on my rig and considering changing them sooner than I should, but two years seems like a good timeframe for me.

Also, I noticed your location and I love the Gilroy area. My family often camped in Morgan Hill each summer and look forward to returning one of these days.
jpjn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Did it raise the roof height of your 5er?
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artspe View Post
Did it raise the roof height of your 5er?
Obviously.....

If he put larger wheels with overall taller tires on, and added suspension height.... It sure didn't make it magically get shorter.

Was that really a serious question, or were you asking a rhetorical question?

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
Obviously.....

If he put larger wheels with overall taller tires on, and added suspension height.... It sure didn't make it magically get shorter.

Was that really a serious question, or were you asking a rhetorical question?
Absolutely!!!
The axles are probably 15’ back from the high point of the 5er. The roofline is substantially lower at the axles so I believe it is possible that the high point MAY have only been raised fractions of an inch !!!!!!!
THAT IS WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION SMART A@@
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artspe View Post
Absolutely!!!
The axles are probably 15’ back from the high point of the 5er. The roofline is substantially lower at the axles so I believe it is possible that the high point MAY have only been raised fractions of an inch !!!!!!!
THAT IS WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION SMART A@@
You both are of course correct. The roof line was raised along its entire extent. However, the increase in height would be less at the nose of the trailer (highest point - 12.5') that directly above the axles where the roof line increased somewhere in the range of 3 inches. With the lift, the high point would still be undder 13 feet.

Unfortunatly, I was not able to take before and after measurements. Would have liked too. However, the lift kit installation was somewhat of spur of the moment install with the trailer being in for a service recall on the awning. I had already completed al the research, but had not intended to install until after verifying measurements. I was not concerned with roof heigh as it would be well under 13.5 feet. I was more concerned with tire spacing with the larger tires. Had to have dealer and tire store measure before ordering to ensure fit.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjn94 View Post
Curious, how often did you camp using those old tires? I have Castle Rock tires on my rig and considering changing them sooner than I should, but two years seems like a good timeframe for me.

Also, I noticed your location and I love the Gilroy area. My family often camped in Morgan Hill each summer and look forward to returning one of these days.
We are only weekend campers and rarely travel more than four hours (200 miles) from home. Thus, likely had less than 5,000 miles on the Castle Rocks. However, the horror stories and pictures I have seen of the trailer damage due to stock Chinese tires convinced me that I could either spend the money now, on better quality tires, or spend much more repariing trailer damge in a year or two along with new tires. The majority of our trips also are to surrounding lakes during the summer months when tempartures are near 100 degrees. Thus, tire tempratures during that heat would be another factor in tire failure.

Another reason for the tire upgrade is to eventually extend our trips. Maybe into Southern Ca. I am originally from the Bakersfield area, went to school in SLO, Dodger fan, and spend half my salary at Disneyland every year.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #10

RD1806, for your same reasons, yesterday I ordered 15 wheels for my Apex 289TBSS tow behind that came with 14" wheels and Castle Rock tires. Rather than play Russian Roulette with the Azdel walls, I'm going to increase my tire load rating so much that I can haul it with 2 wheels missing and be safe (slight exaggeration there).

I'm thinking that I'm going to get the Kenda Karrier in 225/75-15 with the D rating. I've been using those on my equipment hauler and my large utility for years.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #11

The lift kit looks alot like the Correct Trac I installed on my last 5th wheel. Can you adjust alignment with your kit or is it lift only?

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #12

Tires

Nice upgrade! Looks great! I may have to do the same to get my 5 th. wheel to tow level w/ new F-350. Thanks for info.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
The lift kit looks alot like the Correct Trac I installed on my last 5th wheel. Can you adjust alignment with your kit or is it lift only?
The kit I had installed is the lift only. I discovered the Correct Trac kit after dealer had ordered the lift only kit. The bracket extensions in both kits look nearly identical and each provide a 2-inch lift. The Correct Trac kit was actually about $200 less than the lift only kit. Not sure waht the difference is between the kits for the price differnce.

Did run across several negative reviews of the Correct Trac system due to the tension the discs created on the leaf spring brackets and bolts. Bolts were said to have broken. However, it may have been an issue with the bolts (wet bolts) not neccessarliy the Correct Trac. I do not know enough about trailer alignment issues to know if the alingment is neccesary. I suppose I will need to monitor tire wear. If the kits are the same, I suppose I could add the alignment discs if needed.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd1806 View Post
The kit I had installed is the lift only. I discovered the Correct Trac kit after dealer had ordered the lift only kit. The bracket extensions in both kits look nearly identical and each provide a 2-inch lift. The Correct Trac kit was actually about $200 less than the lift only kit. Not sure waht the difference is between the kits for the price differnce.

Did run across several negative reviews of the Correct Trac system due to the tension the discs created on the leaf spring brackets and bolts. Bolts were said to have broken. However, it may have been an issue with the bolts (wet bolts) not neccessarliy the Correct Trac. I do not know enough about trailer alignment issues to know if the alingment is neccesary. I suppose I will need to monitor tire wear. If the kits are the same, I suppose I could add the alignment discs if needed.

I put 2” blocks and I bolts just watch your height, I’m putting front AC on and height is 13ft2”, just ordered springs and blocks to lower rear of truck 3”Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2985.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	229774
Mustang19380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #15
Predator59

I have a lifted Chevy, 35's. I was going to by the Arctic Wolf 32 bunk 5er and it was too low to fit right under the bed. So I was like "let's lift up the trailer a bit Blue Dog" They checked with the factory to get the correct stuff and the factory said it would void all warranties if we lifted it. I said nope and bought a tongue pull, glad I did, still have my bed for my motorcycles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_113307775_HDR.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	572.2 KB
ID:	229776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200510_170233968_HDR.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	229777  
Dwjackson59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags