Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

At witts end.......

We bought a brand new 2017 Grey Wolf 23 DBH. It's our third Grey Wolf, have always liked the layout in them so we stuck with the Grey Wolf model. This time around is proving to have been a mistake. We picked it up on May 29th 2017 and have had it in the dealership more than out camping. Not even a year old and the awning leaks and have been told the stitching is faulty causing the steady dripping. They are waiting to see if it will be warrantied through Dometic which I don't understand, it's faulty, so replace it. I have now been told the reason I can't fill my fresh water tank unless I have an extremely slow flow of water going into the the fresh water cap is due too poor design and nothing can be done. I have told them absolutely unacceptable and too replace the unit then with one that has a proper design. The toilet backs up and it appears to be due to the tube going down to the black holding tank is too deep into the tank not allowing for the waste to break down. Being in Canada we paid 31,000 for this trailer which I see in the states you can get for 19,000 and this is just a couple of issues we are dealing with. Had holes in all 4 corners of the underbelly which had I seen these during the PDI when picking up I would never have taken the trailer then. Way too much money too pay to have the unit not working properly. Just wondering if there's anyone else out there with a similar tale?
Tommy Sedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #2

You win some, you lose some. Just like cars, some are trouble, others are flawless.
My 2017 Shasta i bought in late 16 was pretty well as flawless as could be.. My new 2018 Cherokee 304bh Limited is Mostly flawless with the exception of a Fridge that gets too cold, so I will probably order a thermostat for that myself rather than go to the dealer.
Sometimes You hear absolute horror stories, Your experience is NOT a horror story, but bad nonetheless..A good dealer can make up for a poor unit. Hopefully you have one of those.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Tommy,

The toilet can be fixed, the tank needs to be dropped and the pipe has to be cut off. Dealer can do this, the water tank maybe as simple as a plugged vent line causing the air to force the water back out. I cleared the vent line on my Rockwood with a shop vac, sucked the water out of it, again a simple fix.v Awning, that shouldn't stop you from camping. Find a independent dealer and arrange directly with FR before work starts to reimburse you.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest, since your 1 year warranty is almost up, that you get in touch with Forest River or Cherokee directly and find out what's going on.

The black water tank needs to be dropped and the pipe shortened, something most dealers aren't to fond of.
I can see daylight through the stitching in our awning and I personally don't think it's a big deal.
If you're having trouble filling the freshwater tank try feeding a length of hose with the male end cut off into the filler neck as far as it goes, this should keep it from spewing back out.

Some dealers really drag their feet when it comes to after sales service and don't even bother to process warranty claims and wait for the customer to disappear in to thin air.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Way too much money too pay to have the unit not working properly.
I think everyone can agree with that statement...

now, there have been two suggestions on how you can deal with the issues bypassing the dealer...

I suggest you roll up your sleeves and get them accomplished...

as far as a dripping awning through thread holes, how about a little dab of vaseline on those threads, or rub the holes with a candle edge...

all somewhat easy fixes... get it done and move on...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #6

Awning leaks at the stitch points is a common problem and so easy to fix it’s easier to do it yourself rather than going through the hassle of hitching up to go to a dealer. And, the dealer probably won’t have a clue about doing it right.

Get a small can of HL-66 cement, paint on the stitching (both sides) and leaks quit. Repeat in about two years.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Create-Waterproof-Seams
Old 05-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

I will chime in regarding the awning. We have a 2017 Cherokee 274 DBH. Our dealer is close, so we've had them fix a few things, but fortunately nothing major. We did have our Dometic awning replaced, and it was due to a similar complaint you describe. The stitching at the ends of the awning appeared to be stretched excessively tight, and the small amount of gapping in the stitches caused leaking. I also felt it was going to tear eventually, due to the strain. Knowing how expensive those suckers are, it was #1 on my list to have fixed while in warranty, and the dealer replaced it without any complaint. The new awning appears to have a reinforced edge near the camper that wasn't there before, so hopefully it fares better.

Definitely demand the dealer replace it, and good luck!
MILover is offline   Reply With Quote