Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

Awning switch wiring

I have a 2013 Gray Wolf and the awning switch went bad. The original had 6 tabs for wiring, but the replacement has 4. I’d think this would be simple but 10 blown fuses later it’s not so easy. I recently was able to make the awning retract, but it was already retracted but it moved slightly. The extend failed probably because I had the wiring wrong. I was using the leveler switch temporarily. So I think the motor is ok. Replaced a year ago and never used.

So this new switch I can’t figure out. Using a multimeter set to continuity, You can see that A and B extend the awning, but C and D do also. If I put the wires on A and C or B and D Then the retract has continuity.

This is tough to explain. But basically if I put 2 wires on A and B, and the other two on C and D, pressing the extend causes continuity on both sets of wires.

Not sure what to do. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84E38610-2A71-4293-9187-C8805727960F.jpg
Views:	2356
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	237968  
RCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #2

It looks to me like the two wires coming from the battery are going to connect to A&D. The two wires going to the awning are going to connect to B&C. If the switch positions are reversed then reverse the two wires on B&C. I am just making a guess but it looks that way to me.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
Site Team

A & D are commons. +12V from battery goes on A and -12V from battery goes on D. (or vise versa if the operations are reversed). B & C are the motor terminals. One lead to the motor goes on B and the other lead to the motor goes on C. That way when you press the top of the switch the motor turns one way and when you press the bottom of the switch the motor runs the other way.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #4

It may not make a difference but typically the load is connected to the switch common. Motor to A&D, 12Vdc to B&C. Actuate the switch and if awning works in reverse then reverse either sets of wires between their respective studs or just rotate switch 180 deg. Your wire colors may be like this.
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the help. Can both ground wires be attached to the same tab? Right now the A and D wires are soldered together.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #6

If the switch you removed had 6 terminals it would not have the built in jumpers as shown in your picture. 2 of your wires most likely have short jumper wires. The short jumper wires are not needed with the switch you show. Do not attach the jumper wires to any of your switch terminals. Don't attach the hashed wire shown. This may or may not help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPDT1.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	237998  
Old 08-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSP View Post
Thanks for the help. Can both ground wires be attached to the same tab? Right now the A and D wires are soldered together.
In order for the motor to reverse rotation, the motor leads have to swap polarity so the positive and negative leads and power have to be on separate terminals on the switch. So no, the grounds can't go on the same tab.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #8

Still have issues

Today I’m working on this awning. Very irritating.

I went back to my leveler switch which I had working at one point. Using a multimeter I figured out which tabs are which.

I get nothing when I press extend, and it blows a 15a fuse immediately when I press retract.

I checked the voltage of the wires, the retract has +12.5 and the extend has 0.0. Where do these wires go if I want to trace the wires? Should one set of wires be +12.5 and the other set -12.5 volts DC?

I may go remove the motor. I’ve done it before it’s not too bad. Then I can see if a wire is broken or shorted. Can also try the motor directly to a battery to see if it works. These awning motors are cheap junk. I’m on my 3rd motor and have used the awning a dozen times total. I’d swap it for a manual awning in a heartbeat.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
D W

Simple reverse polarity switch:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	238235  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #10

This is not meant to be derogatory but your electrical skills seem to be lacking comprehension. It's probably time to ask for assistance from someone at your location. It will reduce your apprehension and keep you from becoming more frustrated. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This is not meant to be derogatory but your electrical skills seem to be lacking comprehension. It's probably time to ask for assistance from someone at your location. It will reduce your apprehension and keep you from becoming more frustrated. Just a suggestion.
Thanks. I’m not bad with electrical things but I haven’t been able to understand how the switch works. The wires have 2 groups of two wires. I have them marked as extend and retract. In the attached picture I’m sure someone can say which wire goes where. I can’t even get the motor out to test it manually because I can’t get at one of the rivets on the awning.

I hope from these 2 pictures someone can just tell me which wires go on which tab. The tabs are numbered.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9879BDB5-FA80-4F12-B0A6-168AB70ADA9D.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	238299   Click image for larger version

Name:	F796716A-F8AB-49DC-B907-50234C6F7F78.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	238300   Click image for larger version

Name:	69DB0B1D-AF00-4F12-BC45-E07EEEF66E3C.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	238301  
Old 09-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #12
Site Team

One pair of those wires go to the motor and one pair go to the battery.

Try this. Take the pair with ground and E on them and hook the one marked ground to terminal #2 and hook E to #5, then take the other pair and hook the white one to #3 and the black one to #6.

If the awning operates backward (in when it should go out, etc.), swap the wires on pins 2 & 5.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
One pair of those wires go to the motor and one pair go to the battery.

Try this. Take the pair with ground and E on them and hook the one marked ground to terminal #2 and hook E to #5, then take the other pair and hook the white one to #3 and the black one to #6.

If the awning operates backward (in when it should go out, etc.), swap the wires on pins 2 & 5.
Thanks! It works perfectly now. The awning is soaking wet and I’m sure needs a good cleaning with a mold killer. It’s windy so I’ll keep an eye on it. Thank you so much.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #14
Site Team

You are very welcome. Thanks for coming back and letting us know you got it working.

Tags
awning, switch, wiring