Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #21

I saw a video on YouTube one time showing how to adjust the latch on the hitch to fit more or less tight against the ball. Not sure if something like that applies in your case or not.
I have trouble sometimes if my truck has a tilt side to side but the trailer doesn't.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
Tom

I had that issue and it was a PITA, if your ball is tilted downward a good bit it will put it in a bind. I would have to chock the TT wheels, tap forward with TV and put in neutral. Also it is pretty obvious to me if the ball was 2" and the coupler was 2-5/16 this wouldn't be an issue, haha. I have since moved on to a Propride, no longer have this issue.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #23

did you try changing the ball
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
Also it is pretty obvious to me if the ball was 2" and the coupler was 2-5/16 this wouldn't be an issue, haha.

My thoughts exactly......shhhh, this will be our own little secret. Don't want to spoil the fun.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
That should be 2-5/16". Surprised you didn't loose the trailer along the way. Or at least feel it jerking on the tow vehicle.
I believe you should have a 2 5/16" ball. The hitch has a pronounced cup at the forward end. When hitching, you may have to nudge the TV forward to get it to seat. It is the reverse when trying to unhitch. The ball is binding on the front part of the hitch. When jacking it up, the TV is rising also. The solution that works for me is to jack up to where it is starting to lift, then nudge the TV back about an inch and the ball will dislodge. These hitches are a real pain. In the 11 years I have used it, this recipe has worked the best.

If you have a backup camera, I have one other pointer to offer. Our hitch is all black and it is difficult to distinguish the hitch and the frame when aligning from a distance. I painted the front 3" of the hitch at first red, then white which is much more visible. I have done this with the three trailers we own. I can see that white in the camera from 50 ft. Attached is a picture when the front tip was red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3262232.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	147911  
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadyrka View Post
Pretty sure we do all that. We had no trouble with our MiniLite but this new trailer has been a problem from day one. We'll be hitching up in the morning and probably won't be unhitching for 2 days(heading to Crater Lake). If we still have trouble I'll post again. Thanks for the advice. BTW-not impressed with the Cherokee. Everything is made of cheap plastic. Doors held in by tiny screws that we have had to replace. Only our second trip in this trailer. Our Rockwood was so much better, just too small.
I have a hitch on my boat trailer that has a lip at the front bottom. It is built to hook the ball and keep it from popping off inadvertently. I don['t like it either, it is a PITA to disconnect.

Try blocking your camper tires and putting the truck in reverse, then setting the parking brake on the truck. This will move the truck aft just slightly and push the ball behind the lip. Then you can use the camper tongue jack to raise it off of the ball.

Works for me, hope it helps.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #27

There should be an adjustment nut under the tongue, it may be set too tight.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #28

Solved our problem by changing the angle on the ball. Most, if not all ball angles are adjustable. I solved my problem with a slight tilt away from the tow vehicle (toward the trailer). Also, if the tow vehicle is setting at a different angle than the trailer, that can create the same problem.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
I believe you should have a 2 5/16" ball. The hitch has a pronounced cup at the forward end. When hitching, you may have to nudge the TV forward to get it to seat. It is the reverse when trying to unhitch. The ball is binding on the front part of the hitch. When jacking it up, the TV is rising also. The solution that works for me is to jack up to where it is starting to lift, then nudge the TV back about an inch and the ball will dislodge. These hitches are a real pain. In the 11 years I have used it, this recipe has worked the best.

If you have a backup camera, I have one other pointer to offer. Our hitch is all black and it is difficult to distinguish the hitch and the frame when aligning from a distance. I painted the front 3" of the hitch at first red, then white which is much more visible. I have done this with the three trailers we own. I can see that white in the camera from 50 ft. Attached is a picture when the front tip was red.
We were at our dealer when a transporter came in with a new trailer. I helped her unhook, asked what the duct tape on the hitch was for. She said it makes it easier to see the hitch in her backup camera. She took it off as she finished her unhitch job. Said she just forgot it at the factory after she got hooked up, usually takes it off before leaving.
A note: She was driving a 2011 Duramax with 500K on it, said they have 3 of them, 2011,12,13, love em. Her, husband and hired driver deliver campers for a living.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadyrka View Post
BTW-not impressed with the Cherokee. Everything is made of cheap plastic. Doors held in by tiny screws that we have had to replace. Only our second trip in this trailer. Our Rockwood was so much better, just too small.
Well, the Cherokee is an entry-level stick and tin TT, compared to the mid-level aluminum/filon Rockwood line.
Sure some Rockwoods have issues, but our Rockwood had just minor quality issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #31

You have it right. Lock the trailer with chocks or whatever you have to keep it from rolling in either direction and move the vehicle either forward or backward depending on how the vehicle rolled after you stopped. The problem you are having is this trailer is heavier than your last and as such puts more pressure on the sides of the ball if not centered. Do this and it will crank right off. There is nothing mechanically wrong with your ball or hitch it's just getting everything centered.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
Use your tongue Jack to raise the trailer so there is no more weight on the truck. Chock your trailer wheels and put the truck in gear. Nudge the truck forward so the ball will be tight against the front of the ball socket. Set the parking brake so the truck does not roll back and put it in park. Continue to use your tongue Jack to lift the trailer off the ball. Works for me every time.
Canadiancrew Nailed It !!!
We used to have to do this because of the sloop of our driveway !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #33

Original poster never commented on using the wrong diameter ball.. interesting. Could be dangerous..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
Original poster never commented on using the wrong diameter ball.. interesting. Could be dangerous..
Noted that as well.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
WEll...................if the ball was too small he would not have any trouble getting it off, would he?

On the other hand if it was too big, he would have NEVER gotten it together

I think it is a moot point!