Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

bicycle rack on cargo/tire setup

Anyone mounted this type bicycle rack
on spare tire thats mounted to cargo rack like below
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #2

I have that exact bike rack but my spare mounts to the bumper.

I used SafetyStruts to strengthen the bumper/frame connection on mine before I installed it. It seems very solid and I have had no issues hauling two lighter weight mountain bikes around.

One thing to consider is it makes checking the air pressure in the spare more difficult. I can't say if everything will line up for you with the spare mounted on the rack and not the bumper.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #3

Supposedly the cargo rack can hold 200# (not sure if that is in addition to or less than the spare tire weight) but either case, I would think that the bumper will be able to hold the 2 bikes without any additional support.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
Take The Road Less Travld

bicycle rack on cargo/tire setup

My sticker on my rack says The rack can hold 200# without the tire. So if the tire is mounted to the rack, you need to add that in. Lots of people say the move the tire somewhere else. I am looking for a way to mount my bikes on the existing rack.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #5

Lets assume that spare weighs 45-50 lbs, avg bike 25-30 lbs, so 110 lbs - still under the recommended weight.
However, since I ordered the 4 bike rack model instead of 2 and possibly mounting two electric bikes in the future which doubles the weight, I'm heeding to the advise of adding safetystrust support to the bumper.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #6

Looks like there's already an additional welded support attached to bumper and cargo/tire carrier. Pic from another thread so I'm not sure if the support brackets would work anymore or even needed now.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #7

I weighed my spare, 40#. 200# for an empty rear rack. I had planned to use a couple fork clamps mounted to the rack for two bikes and strap down the rear wheels. Then I realized my so-called better brand bike didn't have a removable front tire ;( My wife's did. Prior to flipping my TT axle, my driveway would not allow me to hang the spare as mounted with the rack down. So far, I haven't used the rack yet.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #8

How does the 'flip' affects the hitch height. Any warranty concerns?

For electric bikes(65-70 lbs each), I most likely need to use the cargo rack and mount some kind of attachment for the front and rear wheels as the swagman rack will be too weak to hold them.

I'm thinking of moving the spare to the front but that's another 40lbs added to tongue weight,not to mention finding another mounting solution.

Perhaps a better solution for the avg bikes is to mount a separate hitch receiver that will take my already owned Thule or Yakima hitch racks.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21wolfpupfq View Post
How does the 'flip' affects the hitch height. Any warranty concerns?

For electric bikes(65-70 lbs each), I most likely need to use the cargo rack and mount some kind of attachment for the front and rear wheels as the swagman rack will be too weak to hold them.

I'm thinking of moving the spare to the front but that's another 40lbs added to tongue weight,not to mention finding another mounting solution.

Perhaps a better solution for the avg bikes is to mount a separate hitch receiver that will take my already owned Thule or Yakima hitch racks.
5", maybe 1/4-1/2" more, height gain overall. People do it all the time, have dealers do it, used an actual Dexter kit, so in my third year of ownership, I'm not concerned at all. I did have literally flip my Hitch head "stinger". It hung down before, now it goes up. And then remove and reinstall the trunion assembly at the right height. I put it all back together unchanged except for height. I had to do it twice because I was about an inch low the first time ;(

Spare inside the TT? Or truck? Before putting a bike rack on the non-bumper, especially with that much weight, I'd add those hook around bumper reinforcements that get bolted to the frame. The bumper to frame welds aren't made to handle much weight. Notice the factory TT rack brackets are clamped around the frame forward of the bumper, are held to those brackets with 2 pins and merely rest on the bumper a little.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
5", maybe 1/4-1/2" more, height gain overall. People do it all the time, have dealers do it, used an actual Dexter kit, so in my third year of ownership, I'm not concerned at all. I did have literally flip my Hitch head "stinger". It hung down before, now it goes up. And then remove and reinstall the trunion assembly at the right height. I put it all back together unchanged except for height. I had to do it twice because I was about an inch low the first time ;(

Spare inside the TT? Or truck? Before putting a bike rack on the non-bumper, especially with that much weight, I'd add those hook around bumper reinforcements that get bolted to the frame. The bumper to frame welds aren't made to handle much weight. Notice the factory TT rack brackets are clamped around the frame forward of the bumper, are held to those brackets with 2 pins and merely rest on the bumper a little.

Did you need to adjust your Cherokee Stable Step?
campdevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo, tire