Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

Bike Rack options ?

Hi all. New here, just picked up an AW 311 ML last week. I’m missing my Jayco for the simple fact that it came with a class 2 hitch. I purchased and RV approved bike rack for it and now I’m without on the Arctic Wolf. The cargo carrier on the back isn’t doing it for me.
Any thoughts on the following.... the bike rack I got from camping world came with a hitch that can mount on the bumper, I know I know that’s not the best way forward. However, I see that Stromberg Carlson has an adjustable hitch that can either bolt for class 1 or weld for class 2 to the frame. And it has a 2” receiver!
Any thoughts on the above?
Slevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #2

Hey Slevar
I have a 2016 Grey Wolf with the drop down cargo carrier. I happened across a sale for a rooftop bike carrier. So I bought 2 and adapted them to the platform. I haven't traveled with them yet but they have to be more secure than the Stromberg. The spare tire doesn't seem to be too low, although I have a Lippert cable winch to mount to relocate the spare up front under A section. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200909_091358.jpeg
Views:	764
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	238719
mbugs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #3

That’s a good idea ! I tried the stromberg but was less than happy with how it mounted. Sent them back
My problem with the rack is the max weight of 200#. The spare tire must weight 50 and the bikes are heavy at 45# each. It just seems like with all that weight and bouncing around, something is gonna give
The lippert cable winch is interesting. Are you thinking mounting forward of the wheels or aft ?
I’m torn as to how I want to do it without spending a lot of money.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #4

using 2" receiver bumper mounted racks

using a yakima hold up rack for 2 normal bikes or 2 electric bikes -option to add extension for 2 more(maybe 1 more electric but definitely 2 additional 'normal' bikes).

Thule rack for 3 normal bikes

I tried editing the 2 photos so orientation is correct but no joy, sorry.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #5

Interesting. Using the bumper hitch and the rack. Ok.
A few options here. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

etrailer sells a bolt on adjustable receiver in a couple different styles that should work. Just need to drill a few holes in the vertical web of the frame and bolt it in.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #7

Thank you for responding... I actually do have one that came with the rack I bought on camping world. It’s a 2” receiver and designed for 5th wheels and motor coaches. I’m just trying to minimize bouncing, perhaps with tie down straps to the frame.
I’m goi g to try it out and have someone behind me watching.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #8

I agree on the weight amount. I'll be mounting forward of the axles, as close to the "A" frame as I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevar View Post
That’s a good idea ! I tried the stromberg but was less than happy with how it mounted. Sent them back
My problem with the rack is the max weight of 200#. The spare tire must weight 50 and the bikes are heavy at 45# each. It just seems like with all that weight and bouncing around, something is gonna give
The lippert cable winch is interesting. Are you thinking mounting forward of the wheels or aft ?
I’m torn as to how I want to do it without spending a lot of money.
mbugs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #9

We use the Stromberg. I bought some large thick heavy duty washers, and I've been very happy with it. The bikes are strapped down to the carrier. And I added a short piece of pool noodle to the handle so the bike doesn't break my rear window. I remove the tire from the rack when hauling the bikes. So people are aware: I don't believe the rack will close with the stromberg holders mounted on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	243161  
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack