Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #1

black tank flush

I used my black tank flush connection for the 2nd time, now have water on floor, I'm sure my back check valve is not working. has any one fixed and if so how did you do it, or had to replace ? I have a 2016 Cherokee, Grey Wolf 26rr. The check valve is up under bathroom sink.
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

Welcome to the club! The black tank flush vacuum breaker valve is what is leaking on mine and most likely your unit too. About $20 for the valve. I’m going to replace mine with a one way check valve and be done with it. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #3

Unscrew the fittings from the vac/check valve, which you should be able to do by hand.

Rinse the valve out and check that there are no insects or debris in top vent for vacuum breaker (inlet) end, then put it back in.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

thanks for the info, where are you getting the one way check valve ? Is it available at a rv store or a home improvement store ?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddie66 View Post
thanks for the info, where are you getting the one way check valve ? Is it available at a rv store or a home improvement store ?
Before you run off on that tangent:

There are two valves in the vac/check assembly, a vacuum breaker and a check valve.
The check valve is to prevent sewage from making its way from the black tank to the feed water line.

The vacuum breaker is to allow clean water in the feed line to drain back out when the hose is disconnected.
Various people have reported replacing the vac/check valve assembly with either just a check valve or just a vacuum breaker. Both approaches increase the risk of sewage from the black tank contaminating a potable water feed.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Before you run off on that tangent:
Both approaches increase the risk of sewage from the black tank contaminating a potable water feed.
Can you elaborate on how this can happen knowing the purpose of and how it is used for this plumbing install with the valve provisioning routed 2 feet, or more, above a toilet rim.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Can you elaborate on how this can happen knowing the purpose of and how it is used for this plumbing install with the valve provisioning routed 2 feet, or more, above a toilet rim.
Toilet dump valve closed, tank overfilled for whatever reason to the point that black water rises in the vent above the level of the vac/check.

The design of this system was not arbitrary.

Also, to use my R-Pod 171 as an example, the vac/check was installed 4" over the toilet rim, not two feet.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

a simple solution is to remove the original unit and replace it with a home style backflow preventer-vacuum breaker, ... the type used on your outside faucets at home, does the same thing, ... screw it in where you attach the water hose, then attach the hose to it, ... then everything is outside the rv, any leaking will be on the outside, .... not possible for a faulty original unit to leak water inside, ... can get them at Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon,(or off one of your outside faucets) ect. ...

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-108-9...et+check+valve

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
a simple solution is to remove the original unit and replace it with a home style backflow preventer-vacuum breaker, ... the type used on your outside faucets at home, does the same thing, ... screw it in where you attach the water hose, then attach the hose to it, ... then everything is outside the rv, any leaking will be on the outside, .... not possible for a faulty original unit to leak water inside, ... can get them at Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon,(or off one of your outside faucets) ect. ...

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-108-9...et+check+valve

Lacks the check valve and is not amenable to being installed in the correct location.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

ok, so what did you do to the hoses that attached to the check valve under the sink?, I'm thinking that you spliced them together to make one line going to the black tank ??
Old 01-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Toilet dump valve closed, tank overfilled for whatever reason to the point that black water rises in the vent above the level of the vac/check.
The whatever reason would only occur if the cleanout was being used and the person walked away from the shutoff. There would be input water pressure at the cleanout nozzle in the tank for that to happen. Don't think anyone could continue using the toilet till it won't flush due to being full.

The design of this system was not arbitrary. I think the install is an overkill and a CYA type install. JMO of course.

Also, to use my R-Pod 171 as an example, the vac/check was installed 4" over the toilet rim, not two feet.
Still, the toilet is in command.

There is a lot of misinformation floating around that pertains to the factory installed black tank cleanout plumbing. In reality, it is self contained and poses no detriment to a fresh water system at all. The after market installs require a check valve input at the tank because they are routed directly (shortest route) to the tank and not elevated at all. Oh well just some thoughts. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #12

I had some problems with mine from the factory. I went through and checked everything before I found that it was a kinked hose about 3” before the nozzle installed in the black tank. It was just all covered in spray foam, so it was a pain to find. On mine, it comes in the side, then goes up to the vacuum breaker/check valve. Mine is under the bathroom vanity as well. It’s high so that it drains well and doesn’t need to be winterized. I would imagine that all of them are setup similar to this. I removed mine and tested with a garden hose to be sure it functioned well.

After I got it all fixed, we tested a few times and decided that it wasn’t worth the time to use it. It hardly removed any extra paper/solids when washing our tank. We do take cleaning it to an extreme compared to some, but we prefer to drain the tank, then do one or two fill/dumps, then spray it out with a hand wand through the toilet until we get it clean and running clear as can be. The spray from the washdown just wasn’t strong enough to move much.
freyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyguy View Post
After I got it all fixed, we tested a few times and decided that it wasn’t worth the time to use it. It hardly removed any extra paper/solids when washing our tank. ....... The spray from the washdown just wasn’t strong enough to move much.
your spray unit is mounted above the tank drain hole, .... if your valve is open/draining while spraying the flush unit, you are spraying against(not with) the flow trying to get to the drain hole, .... since discovering this, I close valve, spray for about two minutes, stop spray, open valve, drain, .... repeat several times(as many as you feel necessary) and it will do a much better job of cleaning, ..... poor design, but its cheaper for FR to install there than to run the line over to the other side where it should be, over there the spray would actually help push the flow towards the drain ,

or you can always install an after market unit "quickie flush" over on that other side, easy to install and they work very well, ... available from Amazon and Walmart now for $16, very good price, usually around $25

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40123-Q...=quickie+flush

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #14

Actually, mine is on the opposite side of the drain. It's a 2018 304BH if it matters. Kind of weird that the hookup is on the passenger side, but I get why. And yeah, I've tried open/shut, and all different combos. I'll only use it if I'm holding up the line at the dump station now.
freyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Actually, mine is on the opposite side of the drain. It's a 2018 304BH if it matters. Kind of weird that the hookup is on the passenger side, but I get why. And yeah, I've tried open/shut, and all different combos. I'll only use it if I'm holding up the line at the dump station now.
then you are lucky, because most are mounted on the drivers side, .... poor design, but that's just the way it is, .... the routine that I mentioned does give me good results now,

Old 01-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
then you are lucky, because most are mounted on the drivers side, .... poor design, but that's just the way it is, .... the routine that I mentioned does give me good results now,
I think you two are talking apples and oranges.

I think freyguy is saying the CONNECTION port for his is on the passenger side and I believe fella10 is saying the SPRAY port (inside the tank) for his is on the driver's side of the tank.

At least that's how I'm reading this as an innocent bystander.

Carry on...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank