Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Bottom Cover

I’d like to do a little work under my trailer but the bottom cover puzzles me and the approach. I’d like to cut a small slit in it and make my updates but not sure how to seal it up. Is there a specific kind of tape to use to seal it back up? For clarity, it’s that plastic cardboard stuff (not sure of the official name). It’s looks like a giant episode to take it off in one piece. Ideas?
Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #2

It sounds like you have a coroplast underbelly. Normally you can remove some of the screws and bend the plastic enough to take it down, when done push it back up and replace the screw in the same holes that they came out of.

I attached a picture were I removed the back end of the underbelly on my new one to install an auto leveler on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2595.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	186188   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-11_20-16-35.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	186189  
carbuthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #3

a tech told me how to do it. he suggested cutting a hole (square or rectangle) in the coroploast where you need access. when it is time to seal it back up get some thin aluminum flashing and put it around the perimeter of the hole on top of the coroplast. fasten it by screwing self tapping screws up through the coroplast and into the flashing in order to hold it in place. make sure you leave a portion of the flashing overlapping into the hole. now take the piece you cut out and put it back into place. again use self tapping screws through the coroplast and into the flashing to hold the cut piece in place. then clean the coroplast surface with acetone seal the seams with gorilla tape or underbelly tape (they make such a thing but it is not cheap). if you ever need to get back in you can remove the tape and unscrew the screws to gain access.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #4

Coroplast! Thanks for that. I had no clue what to even call it. That inhibited my ability to research materials to work with it.

I like the idea of getting it down in one piece but that would also mean farting with the sewer lines as they would then be in the way. That’s why I was looking to do the incision route. I’ll have to crawl under there and do it again. The aluminum patch would work I think. My next issue would be where to cut. That’s why removing the cover would be nice. Decisions decisions.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:48 AM   #5

Bottom Cover

Operation has been completed. I can now get all the water out of my tank instead of most of it. I found this stuff which works good for sealing things up.

Surface Shields 4 Inch x 180 Foot AP Products 022-BP4180 Scrim Shield Repair Tape-4" x 180' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SSGAZG..._MFyoDb0329CM8
Old 07-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #6

I have a serious leak when I tried to use my water pump. Flooded my bathroom floor from the back by my water heater. I like the idea of taking that potion of the underbelly down. Does this sound like a plan to check my water pipes in the back?
Mmanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
fasten it by screwing self tapping screws up through the coroplast and into the flashing in order to hold it in place. .
If you use this method, be very careful that there are no wires, hoses or air ducts in the area as they can rub on the screw points and damage them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmanning View Post
I have a serious leak when I tried to use my water pump. Flooded my bathroom floor from the back by my water heater. I like the idea of taking that potion of the underbelly down. Does this sound like a plan to check my water pipes in the back?

Isn’t all that above the floor though? Both my hwh and water pump are hidden away behind panels and above the floor.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #9

I'm not sure. Just had water coming from underbelly too so assumed the pipes were leaking or broken under there somewhere. Trying to figure the best way to repair without taking this to a shop!
Old 07-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Isn’t all that above the floor though? Both my hwh and water pump are hidden away behind panels and above the floor.
Quote:
I'm not sure. Just had water coming from underbelly too so assumed the pipes were leaking or broken under there somewhere. Trying to figure the best way to repair without taking this to a shop!
Plumbing supply lines are typically inside the R/V and drains pipes and tanks are below floor. If it flooded your floor, it likely flooded down into the underbelly.

You didn't mention if your leak while using the water pump is something new or this just happened. Had it worked OK previously? Do you live where you need to winterize?

Too many variables for us to give you much advice.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #11

I used it last summer in June. Everything worked. Had an ankle injury so just left it parked until this week. Drained it but didn't winterize it as I thought all water was out from not using it. Newbie mistake? So when I turned the water on at the rv park, water started coming out from the underbelly. I thought maybe I could use the tank instead of city connector. Seemed ok until I turned on the water pump.water started coming out faucets ok for a few seconds then water came from under the bathroom wall. Does this help?
Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
I used it last summer in June. Everything worked. Had an ankle injury so just left it parked until this week. Drained it but didn't winterize it as I thought all water was out from not using it. Newbie mistake? So when I turned the water on at the rv park, water started coming out from the underbelly. I thought maybe I could use the tank instead of city connector. Seemed ok until I turned on the water pump.water started coming out faucets ok for a few seconds then water came from under the bathroom wall. Does this help?

I’d say if you just drained it you likely still had water in the lines and it’s split somewhere in the walls or cabinets. It’s hard to tell. You’ll have to start taking covers off until you find it. I’d start inside and wait on going into the underbelly but that’s just me. Did you open the low point drains and hwh?
Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #13

Also check your p traps!!

Tags
cover