Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to twychopen
Brand New RV - Issues already

Hey everyone, this is my first time owning my own RV but have had them in the family for years. We have a Wolfpack 325pack13 toyhauler.

Problem #1 - The very first night we stayed in the RV, the A/C breaker tripped overnight and now the main AC in the living room area turns on for about 3 seconds and shuts off. The fan will run forever, but the AC won't stay on. The AC in the master bedroom works great.

Problem #2 - The microwave didn't turn on. When I picked up the RV, it was working at the walkthrough. Now, I can't get it to turn on and haven't seen it on since the walkthrough last month. The connection goes through the slideout floor so I don't really know how to check if it is plugged in. The breakers are all on and I don't see a blown fuse.

Problem #3 - How do I move the thermistor in the fridge? I thought it would just slide right off, but it is on there TIGHT! I want to move it over 2 or 3 fins so that the fridge stays colder. It is in the "danger" zone on the thermometer, around 44 degrees.

Thanks everyone!
twychopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #2

Don't be upset with the problems at this point. The Navy has shakedown cruises for a reason. Just make sure to report all problems promptly to your dealer, and keep detailed records of all conversations in case the problems persist.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Team

The first two items are likely infant mortality. The dealer should take care of those without an issue.

As for number 3. Which model fridge do you have?

If it's a model with the movable thermistor, the plastic clip that the thermistor is in should pull off the fin and then you can clip it to another one or in another location on that one. Sometimes they can be a little tight, but it should come off.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

Norcold N611v is what the manual says
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480530446537.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	125944  
Old 11-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Site Team

That model doesn't have a movable thermistor. It has a temperature adjustment on the front panel.

What number do you have the temp control set to?
What energy source are you running on?
Have you switched energy sources to see if one works better than another?
Old 11-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

You may need to do the fan mod since your fridge is in a slide. They seldom get to what they're capable of with the upper vent in a sidewall as opposed to through the roof.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

There is no temperature sensor on the fron anulywhere that I can see. also on the other two issues, the soonest the nearest 3 FR servoce companies can check the stuff out is FEBRUARY. Never had so much buyers remorse. I know issues will happen, but 3 months is crazy.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twychopen View Post
There is no temperature sensor on the fron anulywhere that I can see. also on the other two issues, the soonest the nearest 3 FR servoce companies can check the stuff out is FEBRUARY. Never had so much buyers remorse. I know issues will happen, but 3 months is crazy.
Those 3 items are common to any RV and can be repaired by anyone that is factory authorized by that particular manufacturer to do warranty service on them. Call the companies that made them and they can direct you to a service center. It doesn't have to be a Forest River dealer.

Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
I know issues will happen, but 3 months is crazy.
Almost all new RVs have issues. Some major, some minor. It sucks, but it's life.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Hey everyone, this is my first time owning my own RV but have had them in the family for years. We have a Wolfpack 325pack13 toyhauler.

Problem #1 - The very first night we stayed in the RV, the A/C breaker tripped overnight and now the main AC in the living room area turns on for about 3 seconds and shuts off. The fan will run forever, but the AC won't stay on. The AC in the master bedroom works great.

Problem #2 - The microwave didn't turn on. When I picked up the RV, it was working at the walkthrough. Now, I can't get it to turn on and haven't seen it on since the walkthrough last month. The connection goes through the slideout floor so I don't really know how to check if it is plugged in. The breakers are all on and I don't see a blown fuse.

Problem #3 - How do I move the thermistor in the fridge? I thought it would just slide right off, but it is on there TIGHT! I want to move it over 2 or 3 fins so that the fridge stays colder. It is in the "danger" zone on the thermometer, around 44 degrees.

Thanks everyone!
Consider yourself lucky that's not bad.

1) you would need the A/C checked out
2)Have you pulled the microwave never heard of one without an outlet behind it?
3) just pull it off and move it. Also install a fan in the refer part. If your in a slide add another fan..
4) good luck have fun with your new unit.... SORRY to say but pretty common problems with new units...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Almost all new RVs have issues. Some major, some minor. It sucks, but it's life.
X 2 Just get with dealer and also talk to FR to make things happen. Be nice when talking and things will happen. Lter RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #12

Yeah. And what's really unfortunate is that any rv is NOT covered by any lemon laws in any state. They're specifically excluded. I find that odd.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
Site Team

Your list of issues are minor compared to most.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #14

If you have the electronic thermostat on the ac. You can search the forum for the manual.

Here is the reset procedure.

System Initialization
A system initialization will need to be performed by the installer after the system is installed.
• Make sure the Single Zone LCD thermostat is in the Off condi- tion. See page 4, “Quick Reference To Control Buttons”.
• Press the “+” button and, while holding it, also press and hold the On/Off Mode button for three seconds. LCD will show ― ― . Press the On/Off Mode button again to turn system off.
This completes the initialization.
The furnace On/Off temperature differential should be set at this time. See “Mode Description - Furnace” on page 8 for further information on furnace mode differential setting.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
I know it sounds obvious but, before making that trip to the dealer, might what to double check & confirm that your power source was delivering sufficient amps to the RV (re: the first two problems, A/C and Microwave). 30 amp or 50 amp as required. Typically each an A/C unit needs about 15-16 to start and maybe 11-13 to operate under load. If power source OK, like others mention, trip to dealer is in order. Good luck.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Consider yourself lucky that's not bad.

1) you would need the A/C checked out
2)Have you pulled the microwave never heard of one without an outlet behind it?
3) just pull it off and move it. Also install a fan in the refer part. If your in a slide add another fan..
4) good luck have fun with your new unit.... SORRY to say but pretty common problems with new units...
Thanks for the input! I pulled the microwave now and determined its a bad microwave. Outlet in trailer works and the microwave doesn't turn on when plugged into a different working outlet.

I will try to get a fan for the refer.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Your list of issues are minor compared to most.
Maybe that is true, but I was coming on here to look for helpful information. That is part of what the forums are for. It is also a brand new '17 and these issues happened the first time we took it out.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #18

I live in deep south Texas, motherland for many winter Texans. The issue is that there are only 2 FR dealers down here that do warranty work and the earliest either can see my trailer is FEBRUARY!

I am going to Rockport next week and found an RV service center that can take a look. If parts are needed, they will order them and on New Years when I am at Goose Island the guy will come out at fix it under warranty. So far the place seems great, its just unfortunate the nearest help is 3 hours away.

Thank you everyone for the help. So far, 2 of the 3 problems are somewhat resolved (microwave and fridge) and I have steps to check out the A/C.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #19

New FR Product

We bought a new FR 27' Forester in 2014 From Mike Thompson RV about 20 miles from home. We have only one problem with it, and that was a bad stove sensor that would shut the stove completely off after reaching desired temperature. We took it to our local RV place (they do not sell new RV's) and the fix was made within an hour or so. We don't use it a lot, but do have 15,000 miles on it. Always, it either tows a car or a horse trailer. We have had absolutely no other problems with it. "Knock on wood".
rhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I pulled the microwave now and determined its a bad microwave. Outlet in trailer works and the microwave doesn't turn on when plugged into a different working outlet.

I will try to get a fan for the refer.
Fan on the outside, back side top above the outside condenser. A 12 volt computer muffin fan (or 2) work fantastic. My unit came with one, I added a second one. Draw very little power.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote