Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Busted Skylight Dome

Hello Folks, Anyone have any advice on replacing a skylight dome that’s busted. We’ve already ordered the dome and Surebond SB 140 sealant. I Have watched a utube video from rv geeks but it seems a little weak on the sealing process. Any advice is welcome. We have a 2017 Cherokee 274RK.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #2

I replaced mine on my wildcat 5th wheel, be careful removing your old sealant, it can stretch and tear the rubber roof, I put more self leveling sealant on mine than what the videos show. If I need to replace it again I am going to the hardware store and buying a thick flat piece of acrylic/plexiglass and replace the sky light with that, before I installed the new sky light I sanded and covered it with flex seal, 2 coats of white, then 2 coats with black then another 2 coats of white to keep the heat out. IMO a sky light is one of the stupidest things on a camper.

You may want to have some rubber roof adhesive ready to go just in case you lift the rubber roof a little.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #3

Thank you wildcatter, what happens and how do I repair a rubber roof that has been lifted a little, I’m a little at a loss on anything above my head in the TT. Can repair about anything else but I’m Not competent on rubber roofs and anything else on top of my rig. Guess I’m about to learn.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsarg View Post
Thank you wildcatter, what happens and how do I repair a rubber roof that has been lifted a little, I’m a little at a loss on anything above my head in the TT. Can repair about anything else but I’m Not competent on rubber roofs and anything else on top of my rig. Guess I’m about to learn.
Do it on a hot day or get a heat gun to soften up the sealant, slowly roll the sealant with your fingers working from one side to the other and towards the sky light opening, I ended up lifting my roof a little bit and had to re-glue the edges around the sky light.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsarg View Post
Hello Folks, Anyone have any advice on replacing a skylight dome that’s busted. We’ve already ordered the dome and Surebond SB 140 sealant. I Have watched a utube video from rv geeks but it seems a little weak on the sealing process. Any advice is welcome. We have a 2017 Cherokee 274RK.
After you get the old skylight cover off, remove the old butyl adhesive or whatever was under the lip. Clean it all real good with mineral spirits. Get a roll of the butyl adhesive from your local rv store (or amazon) and lay down about a 2 inch wide strip all around the opening. If you are lucky, your replacement cover will have holes pre-drilled through the lip. Screw the new cover down, tightening the screws evenly all around. Do not over tighten. Get a couple tubes of Dicor self leveling sealant in the color of your choice. Lay a bead all around the edge of the lip where it meets the roof and put a good dab on top of each screw head. The go around the cover again with the Dicor covering at least an inch of the cover lip and out about an inch away from the cover, all the way around.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #6

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has had to replace this hahaha.... SlowrideHD nailed it on the head, follow this to the "T" and you should have no issues... GOOD LUCK!!!
Loda8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Always Learning

When I found mine cracked, the recommendation was to buy from these folks.

RV Skylights, Square, Rectangular & Round.

The website looks straight out of the 90s but the quality of the product was good.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
When I found mine cracked, the recommendation was to buy from these folks.

RV Skylights, Square, Rectangular & Round.

The website looks straight out of the 90s but the quality of the product was good.
This is exactly where I bought mine at. I replaced both of mine due to sun making them brittle and the hail finishing them off.

The replacements are so much thicker than oem that it is amazing.

Took me an afternoon to remove, clean, and replace.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your advice the replacement dome should be here in about a week then the lil woman and me will tackle the project.

Tags
light, skylight