Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2022, 06:57 PM   #1

Carefree awning issue - keeps moving after switch release.

Greetings. The awning has worked fine for 4 years. Recently, when the switch pushed to retract, it would not move. Extend was fine, just retract had the issue. If you pushed retract a few times, eventually it would retract. So I purchased a couple replacement switches. Same brand, same model, DPDT Momentary on - off - Momentary on function.
Now the awning will extend and retract but when extending, it will continue to roll out, although very slowly, after the button is released. Sometimes it continues to unroll a few inches, sometimes more. Sometimes I have to hit the retract button to keep it from completely unrolling. I tried a couple of different switches and same issue. Same on original switch too, although maybe not as extreme maybe. Im on shorepower, battery is good.
Any ideas what might be going on?
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:41 AM   #2

Its not a power issue it had to do with the motor I have the same problem when extending. As the awning reaches it final outward travel I just hit the retract and it stops, for me its not worth the time or effort to change it this work-a-around has been fine for 4 years. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Seadog. At least now I know I am not the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Its not a power issue it had to do with the motor I have the same problem when extending. As the awning reaches it final outward travel I just hit the retract and it stops, for me its not worth the time or effort to change it this work-a-around has been fine for 4 years. JMHO
Old 08-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #4

Here is an update on my situation in case it proves helpful to someone else in the future. Looking at the owners manual for my awning, model "Longitude" from carefreeofcolorado.com, it states "NOTE: Some OEMS may furnish their own switch that may appear differently than the switch pictured.". Also the installation manual says the switch should be "3 position, momentary ON, center OFF; DC polarity reversing switch with dynamic brake. " The switch that was originally installed, nor the replacements I got, were NOT the switch part number Carefree lists as their part, part number R019487-003. It is a generic DPDT momentary on - off - momentary on switch.

I could find no other switches that refer to "dynamic break" as a feature. So I decided to order the exact part numbered switch and installed it today. The awning no longer creeps. Then I reinstalled the original generic switch and the awning creeps again. Same creep for the replacements I initially tried. I swapped switched a couple more times and got the same result...the carefree part works fine.

So, I'm good for now and things are working normally again. Go figure.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:19 PM   #5

sorry, l misspelled "dynamic break". Should have been "dynamic brake".

Tags
awning, switch