Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #1

Cherokee Wolf Pup 17JG - Battery

We bought a Cherokee Wolf Pup in January and would like to upgrade the battery. We just took it on a 3 day boondocking trip and battery died in middle of the night. So, need to know what is best for boondocking for 2-3 days at a time. I know nothing about electrical systems so everything is very confusing. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Kiley
Kiley70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:42 PM   #2

You need to switch from one 12V battery to 2 6V battery.

Keep in mind, all the 12V appliances, use the battery for power. You need to replenish the battery power. It can be done in 2 ways. Get a 200W solar panel and hook it to the batteries. Or use a Generator.

My setup is 235W solar panels with 2 6V battery and 2300W inverter.

This can be used for atleast a week easily, if I don't use the AC or the microwave.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindhraman View Post
You need to switch from one 12V battery to 2 6V battery.

Keep in mind, all the 12V appliances, use the battery for power. You need to replenish the battery power. It can be done in 2 ways. Get a 200W solar panel and hook it to the batteries. Or use a Generator.

My setup is 235W solar panels with 2 6V battery and 2300W inverter.

This can be used for atleast a week easily, if I don't use the AC or the microwave.
Thank you! Do I need to update the inverter if I go with 2 6v batteries? I already bought a generator.
Kiley70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley70 View Post
Thank you! Do I need to update the inverter if I go with 2 6v batteries? I already bought a generator.
The 2 6V setup is so that you have more storage capacity. You have to set it up on series so that the total output is 12V.

the inverter night not be needed if the generator is an inverter combo.

You should have a converter already to charge the batteries from shore power.

The generator should take care of the inverter part.
arvindhraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
I think you mean CONverter, not INverter. Don't think Wolf Pups come with a factory inverter.
Suggest that you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life". Good primer on RV electrical systems.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
I know nothing about electrical systems so everything is very confusing.
Until you educate yourself on the basics, the advice you get from us may lead to more confusion and errors. Bikendan gave you the best advice. Please heed. We were all there once where you are now.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think you mean CONverter, not INverter. Don't think Wolf Pups come with a factory inverter.
Suggest that you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life". Good primer on RV electrical systems.

Great read! Spurred a question for me, when on shore power would it be better to leave the battery disconnected (I have a disconnect switch and 50 watt “juice pack”) to prolong the battery life rather than running through it?
whitWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitWolf View Post
Great read! Spurred a question for me, when on shore power would it be better to leave the battery disconnected (I have a disconnect switch and 50 watt “juice pack”) to prolong the battery life rather than running through it?
I don't have solar, so can't comment on that. But I never disconnect the battery, when hooked to shore power. Modern 3 or 4 stage CONverters can safely keep batteries recharged.
A battery disconnect switch is to be used when NOT hooked to shore power and in storage or not being used.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-22-2021, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't have solar, so can't comment on that. But I never disconnect the battery, when hooked to shore power. Modern 3 or 4 stage CONverters can safely keep batteries recharged.
A battery disconnect switch is to be used when NOT hooked to shore power and in storage or not being used.

Got an answer to this from a tech today. He said it would likely over work the converter to run this way.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Got an answer to this from a tech today. He said it would likely over work the converter to run this way.
What would overwork the converter?
Old 04-22-2021, 11:03 PM   #11

Wow, so much confusion in this thread already! Holy cow! Generator/inverter combo?!? What? Most generators put out 110v or 220v AC. What is a generator inverter combo? Overload the converter by keeping the batteries connected?!? Upgrading from a single 12 volt battery to 2x 6 volt golf cart batteries (wired in series) will in no way, shape or form "overload" a converter.

To Kiley70:

In order to increase the amount of time that you can "survive" on battery power alone, you need to increase the amp hour capacity of your battery(ies). You likely have a battery installed by the dealer with an amp hour capacity around 65 or so. Keep in mind that a lead acid battery should not be discharged below 50% so you are looking at 32-35 amp hours of useable capacity. A 12 volt only refrigerator + using the furnace at night for heat will suck that battery dead easily overnight.

Most people who want to boondock for any length of time will upgrade to 2x 6-volt golf cart batteries (wired in series to make 12 volts), assuming they are going to stick with lead acid batteries. Mine are US Battery 2200 XC2 batteries. They have a 232 amp hour rating. Wired in series to get 12 volts means that the voltage is doubled, not the amp hours. So I have about 115-120 useable amp hours, or close to 4x the capacity of the typical battery supplied by the dealer. If you turn your furnace down at night (like 55 degrees) and have a refrigerator that runs off propane, you can get 3 days/nights boondocking from my batteries.

To recharge the batteries, you will need to run your generator connected to the trailer about 4 hours per day, assuming you have no solar.

A little bit about the misinformation already posted in this thread - keeping 2 6-volt golf cart batteries connected when on shore power will not overload the converter. Generators in the US will produce either 110 or 220 volts AC. When talking about inverters and generators, there are invertor type generators which are usually quieter than standard portable generators. I have no idea what a combination inverter and generator is (post #4).

The converter in your trailer will convert 110 volts AC from either shore power or a generator connected to the trailer to 12 volts DC to power your DC loads such as lights, fans, and control boards in your furnace and refrigerator. It will also charge your batteries (and 2x 6-volt golf cart batteries will NOT overload the converter). An inverter will convert 12 volts DC from your batteries to 120 volts AC. I very seriously doubt that your trailer has an inverter (unless you have a residential refrigerator that runs off 120 volts AC only).

I hope this helps to clear some things up.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:49 AM   #12

Quote:
What would overwork the converter?

My idea from post #7
Old 04-23-2021, 05:41 AM   #13

Quote:
A converter is basically nothing more than a battery charger that can on most stock systems also supply DC to the TT even without a battery connected to the TT.

The battery should be connected while on shore power so that it gets adequately charged. Either you misunderstood the tech or he is just wrong.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
A converter is basically nothing more than a battery charger that can on most stock systems also supply DC to the TT even without a battery connected to the TT.

The battery should be connected while on shore power so that it gets adequately charged. Either you misunderstood the tech or he is just wrong.

Think you misunderstood my correction. I was saying the tech said NOT to disconnect the battery while on shore power.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Think you misunderstood my correction. I was saying the tech said NOT to disconnect the battery while on shore power.
WhitWolf, Thanks for the clarification.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cherokee, wolf pup