Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

cigarette lighter plugin

I finally got my new 16fq this week and now have to find power for a CPAP machine. I would like to get a small inverter that plugs into cigarette lighter outlet. I do not know how to go about this. where can I tap into 12 volt power in the rv close to the front of the bed to install the cigarette lighter plug in. I also would like to occasionally use inverter to power television. Your comments are appreciated! - mike
mfriederichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfriederichs View Post
I finally got my new 16fq this week and now have to find power for a CPAP machine. I would like to get a small inverter that plugs into cigarette lighter outlet. I do not know how to go about this. where can I tap into 12 volt power in the rv close to the front of the bed to install the cigarette lighter plug in. I also would like to occasionally use inverter to power television. Your comments are appreciated! - mike
Below the bed... set that where you have water heater and water pump? If so you have 12v right there.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #3

I don't know what brand/model cpap you have but mine is 12v (as evident by the brick in the center of the power cord) you can go to a website that sells cpap machines and possibly find a cord that will plug directly into your cpap and the other end to a 12v cigarette lighter plug. You may not need an inverter. Keep in mind, that if you're trying to save battery while bondocking, and your cpap has a humidifier with warmer plate, you may want to make sure the warmer plate is off.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #4

We had a twelve volt plug added to our fifth wheel in the bedroom for the cpap.

They use a good amount of amperage. Especially with the humidifier which I do not use much. Look up the usage.

An inverter typically consumes 10-20% more battery thus, as said above, the 12 volt cord is a better plan. I have one.

For emergencies I bought from AutoZone a cigarette lighter plug with two alligator clips for the house battery plus a 20’ extension cord. I use it for the 12 volt air compressor. Helps in winterization and low tires.

You can also plug in an inexpensive inverter into it for tv’s etc, small loads.

We have one. However it has not been used in years.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light