Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

Converted back rack for bikes

In case it helps anyone.

- I purchased 2 sets (comes with 8 holders for 4 bikes) of the Stromberg Carlson CC125 bike holders that are designed for their cargo rack. I used 6 of the 8 holders to mount 3 bikes.

- To sturdy it all up, I bought a 72” piece of steel flat bar from Home Depot, cut it to match the length of the bike mounts, drilled holes to match up with the bike mount holes, and bolted through so it sandwiches across the mesh.

- In order to fit 3 bikes, I cut an inch off the outer side of 4 of the brackets and drilled 4 holes through the outer full edge of the cargo rack which allowed me to move the outer 2 bikes out an inch giving me room to mount a bike in the middle.

-Ratchets straps diagonally across the bikes snugs them down very tight.

- I didn’t have enough clearance to still fold the rack up with the bike mounts attached the way they came so I put them in vise and bent them down a couple of inches and can now fold the rack up when storing.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Have the spare tire on there now, pretty sure it’s going in the truck bed because there just isn’t enough clearance with the rack down.

Willie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62648E8B-E547-4DD6-A238-B56ECC7A51DA.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	536.8 KB
ID:	249060   Click image for larger version

Name:	F08EABB9-9F5F-4782-80AB-18AA3627B85E.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	249061   Click image for larger version

Name:	6041D53F-4403-4875-A0B6-D3558FC55A8C.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	249062   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B31FFC8-E59A-4DCC-A126-F072760385AD.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	249063  
ILWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:32 AM   #2

Nice, how much was that kit? Was thinking of an axle mount system.
captaingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:05 AM   #3

I have seen a lot of campers do this. Great job. I have a Swagman pickup bed setup I use so my back rack can hold a generator and cooler. It just comes down to what you need your space for.

This is why camping is so much fun.....I walk the campgrounds to see people’s setups to get ideas.

Tow vehicle: 2020 Ford F-250 4WD Super Duty 7.3 XLT FX4 Crew

TT: 2021 Grey Wolf 26 DBH
Germanrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #4

The 2 kits were $32.47 ea on Amazon, the flat bar less than $20 at Home Depot. Also bought some longer carriage bolts and lock nuts. So right around $100 for everything.

I really wanted the bikes in the back because I hated taking off my bed cover to load the bikes. Now I can put the bikes on the back, and everything that goes in the bed of the truck will fit under the cover which also eliminates me having to tarp stuff to keep it dry.
ILWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #5

A friend put his bikes on a rack like that. The welds started cracking. Had to add some gussets and all was well. Keep an eye out for cracks.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILWill View Post
In case it helps anyone.

- I purchased 2 sets (comes with 8 holders for 4 bikes) of the Stromberg Carlson CC125 bike holders that are designed for their cargo rack. I used 6 of the 8 holders to mount 3 bikes.

- To sturdy it all up, I bought a 72Ē piece of steel flat bar from Home Depot, cut it to match the length of the bike mounts, drilled holes to match up with the bike mount holes, and bolted through so it sandwiches across the mesh.

- In order to fit 3 bikes, I cut an inch off the outer side of 4 of the brackets and drilled 4 holes through the outer full edge of the cargo rack which allowed me to move the outer 2 bikes out an inch giving me room to mount a bike in the middle.

-Ratchets straps diagonally across the bikes snugs them down very tight.

- I didnít have enough clearance to still fold the rack up with the bike mounts attached the way they came so I put them in vise and bent them down a couple of inches and can now fold the rack up when storing.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Have the spare tire on there now, pretty sure itís going in the truck bed because there just isnít enough clearance with the rack down.

Willie

Great rack for the bikes......but no way that spare is going to make it.
If thereís no space in the trailer itself, the truck bed is the spot....as long as you put it on your packing list.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #7

I made a bike rack out of electrical conduit (metal) for my truck bed and it worked out well. Bike has a removable front wheel so it fits nicely on one of those fork clamps which is mounted on a block of wood to the conduit rail. It is set up so I can slide it into and out of the truck to make it easy to load and unload the bike. Rail slides over the tailgate when it is down. I used a door latch to lock it in the closed position. Worked great for the last 5 years and a lot of miles. Cost was minimal.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike