Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsud View Post
k2kevin, do you have a 7 pin wire harness and brake controller. im looking into buying the same camper to pull with my jeep Wrangler, it only has a 4 pin. planning on renting a similar camper prior to see how it tows on a small trip. will i need the 7 pin with brake controller to pull one? i would hate to put it all in and not end up buying one.
It is worthwhile to install a 7 pin trailer connector and brake controller in preparation for any camper trailer you might choose. I towed an overloaded 2990# rated cargo trailer full of band gear for many years, no brakes. It was work, pushed me around on hard stops, even when I was towing it with my 1998 Ford Expedition, later my 2008 Explorer. Towing a near 4K# TT with the Explorer, trailer brakes and a WDH was much easier, just had to worry about the width and a lack of power
My state, PA, requires trailer brakes for 3K# GTWR and up. Several states require trailer brakes at 2K#.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
k2kevin, do you have a 7 pin wire harness and brake controller. im looking into buying the same camper to pull with my jeep Wrangler, it only has a 4 pin. planning on renting a similar camper prior to see how it tows on a small trip. will i need the 7 pin with brake controller to pull one? i would hate to put it all in and not end up buying one.
Your Jeep doesn't have the factory tow package.
So you'll need more than just a 7 pin connector socket.
You have to duplicate the tow package.
This usually includes: 7 pin connector socket, pre-wiring for a brake controller, upgraded trans cooler, tow/haul trans button and lower towing rear end ratio.
So having the wiring done, won't be cheap because you're required to have a brake controller since the trailer has electric brakes and the 7 pin connector feeds the power to the trailer brakes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #23
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Your Jeep doesn't have the factory tow package.
So you'll need more than just a 7 pin connector socket.
You have to duplicate the tow package.
This usually includes: 7 pin connector socket, pre-wiring for a brake controller, upgraded trans cooler, tow/haul trans button and lower towing rear end ratio.
So having the wiring done, won't be cheap because you're required to have a brake controller since the trailer has electric brakes and the 7 pin connector feeds the power to the trailer brakes.
Lots of false info here.

on a Jeep wrangler JK, the standard tow package includes the hitch and 4 pin wiring, the max tow package is the hitch, the 4pin wiring and 3.73 ratio (except on rubicon)

radiator didn't change nor trans cooler, there was no 7 pin wiring from factory or prewire for brake controller.

Most saharas already have the 3.73 ratio so adding the hitch and wiring gets him to factory package
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
Lots of false info here.

on a Jeep wrangler JK, the standard tow package includes the hitch and 4 pin wiring, the max tow package is the hitch, the 4pin wiring and 3.73 ratio (except on rubicon)

radiator didn't change nor trans cooler, there was no 7 pin wiring from factory or prewire for brake controller.

Most saharas already have the 3.73 ratio so adding the hitch and wiring gets him to factory package

Thanks Cost4133. At least someone takes the time to look stuff up before jumping in and making false/inaccurate statements.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
Lots of false info here.

My apologies as I somehow was thinking Grand Cherokee, not Wrangler.
But doesn't the Wrangler have a limited towing capacity without the max tow package. The Wolf Pup 16BHS will easily be over 3500lbs loaded and loaded tongue weight will easily be over 400lbs, by just adding a battery.
And am I at least correct that the wiring for the 7-pin connector and the brake controller won't be cheap?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #26

Sounds like an awesome first trip. As far as regrets with folks along, don't. Years down the road when they are sick, have died, etc you will treasure the memory. However, probably not good for any future trips.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #27

Yes! Installed a 7pin harness, Break Controller, and WDH. No other way to fly.

If you decide not to purchase a camper, those items have good value and should be able to sell.

Quote:
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #28

Planning my first trip in my wolf pup with my 10 and 12 year old. We are currently on lockdown in Illinois so we h as be to go to surrounding states. Any suggestions
RVmariposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup