Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Dead fridge

The refrigerator on my Grey Wolf 28bh worked fine until yesterday. We drove from Degray Lake to Branson. When we arrived here, the fridge was warm. I have checked all I know how to check. Finally I bought ice and hauled in the ice chest.
Any ideas?

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Correct setting?

Were you running the fridge on 12V or propane while in route?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

Not that I know of. I just unplugged the electric and drove off. I didn't change any setting at all.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

If you unplugged and turned your propane tanks off before you left, then the fridge wouldn't cool. You could try turning the elec side back on if you have shore power again, of course it will take a few hours to cool off again.
Also might check the slide temp adjustment on the fins inside the fridge in case it accidently got pushed down.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #5

Hopefully the auto switch got bumped into the off position or you are out of propane. Hopefully it will cool ok when you are home and have the electricity on.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Jan Goldfield

I didn't turn off the propane before I left.
I have shore power and it has been plugged in for 24 hours. I kept thinking it would get cold but nope. The thermostat on the fins is in the right place. This morning the freezer was cold, but that is warm now too. The fridge has always had the electric button pushed. I tried changing it to propane today while here, but only left it that way for a few minutes.
Oh, we will not be home for about 3 weeks.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

Shore power or propane?

I'm guessing you have now pushed the little button that turns your fridge on "automatic" and it is now either cooling on electric or propane???? It takes a while, be patient. I hope it is as simple as "The little button" not being depressed. If you are now on electric a blue light should signal your fridge is cooling. If you are not on shore power and on propane, go outside, open the inspection door and take a look to make sure the "propane flame is ignited.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #8

Since the elec isn't working you could try leaving it on propane to see if it works. I wish I could be of more help but this beyond my "expertise".

Good Luck!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #9

Electric or propane...

If you are sure your fridge is NOT cooling on shore power, switch to propane. If the propane doesn't cool, call the manufacture for a more definitive direction.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Jan Goldfield

I have shore power turned on and the fridge on electric. I will switch to propane in the morning if it's not cooling.
Blue light? I have never seen a blue light. I have a yellow light that says the fridge is cooling. The light lies......

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #11

Adequate shore power

Possible silly speculation....but....are you sure your shore power supply is bringing 120V into the rig?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #12

Colors schmolers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
I have shore power turned on and the fridge on electric. I will switch to propane in the morning if it's not cooling.
Blue light? I have never seen a blue light. I have a yellow light that says the fridge is cooling. The light lies......
OK, yellow light-blue light, same thing. Make sure you have adaquate voltage coming in to your rig, which should be somewhere around 115 volts. Now you can go for a little "refreshment" and let the morning light tell the tale.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #13

And.....

Someone mentioned to make sure your propane tank wasn't empty....I never thought of that.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #14

At just under 2 years old ours had a Thermistor go bad and it did the same thing. I don't know how to tell you to check it, only that you would have to have a shop check it. Good thing for us was that Dometic has a 2 year parts/labor warranty and 3 years on parts.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
Jan Goldfield

One propane tank is full, the other has 1/3 tank. I have 120 v coming through shore power. I have had no fridge since yesterday PM. I have my fingers crossed for morning and the ice store is close.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #16

You know that the propane tanks are full (and they are turned one) go ahead and switch the fridge to propane. Check to make sure the gas is burning and cooling the chemicals and hope (as Jeeper mentioned) the thermostat is working. If the electric, nor the gas is working, it must be that the thermostat isn't calling for cooling.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Check for troubleshooting tips here:
Dinosaur Electronics Home. High quality circuit boards for RV appliances.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #18

do u have a light showing that it is on (next to where it is switched between propane and electric)? when u put it on propane does it show an error.
what i'm driving at here is if u have 12 v. to it.

next question is was urs one of the ones in the recall? if so, did u have the modification made? if so, that could be ur problem...that mod is nothing more than a shut down if that area overheats.

do u smell any traces of ammonia mainly in the back or on the inside of the frig? this can happen if u get a leak in the sealed system.

what i would probably do is buy a small electric instead of the ice. that would buy u some time until the problem is repaired.

if u listen to it, do u hear a girgling?

next, before u call a service tec, unplug from shore power and look at the wires (in back of the frig)very carfully. check to see if those connections that u can see are pushed on all the way.
next step would be to call a dealer and get someone to troubleshoot it. i'm looking at heck7769 post and thinking control board but like to see try and make sure something didn't come loose (electrical) on the pull from degray to branson.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #19

Okay. Underneath the outside cover, there is ANOTHER small metal cover, held on by a screw or 2. under that cover there are 2 glass fuses; one for 110vac, and one for 12vdc. My 110 fuse blew, twice, due to a loose ground wire, and the service guy at the dealership showed me the fuses, and how easy they were to replace. MAKE SURE YOUR POWER IS OFF, before messing around in here. Touch the wrong thing, and @#%&*. But, this could be the problem. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
Jan Goldfield

Thanks so much all. I will start the outside troubleshooting when it gets light. I just turned the fridge to propane and am being patient right now to see if any cool air arrives inside.

2009 Ford 150

Tags
cherokee