Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 04:52 AM   #1

Electrical

Good morning I just bought a 2020 255 RR just getting it ready for the season hopefully lol I bought some cameras to put inside to keep an eye on the Harley's while I'm travelling and the cameras need to be plugged into the 110 volt Outlets does anybody know if they're powered as I'm driving down the road when I'm hooked to my pick up or if they're only powered when I'm hooked to a generator or Shore power?, you'll have to excuse my ignorance I'm still trying to figure things out I'm not sure what powered by the solar and what's powered when you are plugged into a campgrounds Hydro.
If you need to be into the 110 does anybody have any ideas how I could power the cameras that I have or does anyone know of a camera system that the cameras are off batteries? Tks
Iceman5800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:56 AM   #2

I want to say they should have power when connected to your truck,But the easiest way to find out is connect it and plug something in. Or check the outlet with a meter
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:21 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman5800 View Post
Good morning I just bought a 2020 255 RR just getting it ready for the season hopefully lol I bought some cameras to put inside to keep an eye on the Harley's while I'm travelling and the cameras need to be plugged into the 110 volt Outlets does anybody know if they're powered as I'm driving down the road when I'm hooked to my pick up or if they're only powered when I'm hooked to a generator or Shore power?, you'll have to excuse my ignorance I'm still trying to figure things out I'm not sure what powered by the solar and what's powered when you are plugged into a campgrounds Hydro.
If you need to be into the 110 does anybody have any ideas how I could power the cameras that I have or does anyone know of a camera system that the cameras are off batteries? Tks
Your dealer failed you by not explaining how the two different electrical systems work in your RV. Unless you have an INverter installed(which I doubt), the outlets will only work on shore power or generator power. Not by the truck.
Solar doesn't power anything directly. It only recharges the batteries.
Suggest that you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life".
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:06 AM   #4

I'll try that thanks Chris
Old 05-12-2020, 06:08 AM   #5

I know he didn't explain a lot but in light of covid-19 I was lucky to at least get my trailer 2 weeks ago and get it off there A lot as they are not actually open so I'm just trying to sort things out on my own I know this solar Powers the fridge the furnace a lot of the lights I kind of figured that the 110 volt Outlets would need Shore power or a generator I'm trying to hook up a camera inside that's powered by the 110 Outlets I need a camera that's going to work when I'm travelling down the road thanks for your reply
Old 05-12-2020, 06:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Your dealer failed you by not explaining how the two different electrical systems work in your RV. Unless you have an INverter installed(which I doubt), the outlets will only work on shore power or generator power. Not by the truck.
Solar doesn't power anything directly. It only recharges the batteries.
Some great information here!
Old 05-12-2020, 06:17 AM   #7

Tks I will
Old 05-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman5800 View Post
I know this solar Powers the fridge the furnace a lot of the lights
Not sure if you fully read my post.
Solar does NOT directly run the lights, fridge or furnace. Those all are powered by the battery. Solar simply recharges the battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #9

you won't have any 120v power while you are towing, since you are not plugged into 120v power - that only comes from the grid, or a generator.

You can, though, employ an INVERTER, which takes your 12v battery power and 'inverts' it to 120v, for most anything, certainly a camera, even while traveling. Power Inverters are available at any auto parts store or section in the big box stores, of all types and sizes and prices.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #10

What power do the cameras themselves require? Is there an adapter that you plug into 120 and then plug it into your camera? I have cameras that are powered from a USB cable and I can use them with the 12V auto power plug (Cigarette lighter).
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Tell us more about the camera system you have. I've not seen many cameras themselves that are powered by 120 volts. They pretty much all have a 120VAC to 12VDC power supply that powers the cameras.

How are you getting the signal from the cameras into the cab of the truck?
Old 05-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #12

Thought about the inverter but the battery is at the front I want to put the camera in the kitchen area I have to get into it and look to see where I could put the inverter in the kitchen area so the wiring a short
Old 05-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #13

I also just purchased a 255rr and am trying to figure everything out. Curious why you need to see the bike while going down the road. I've trailered bikes before and if they're adequately tied down and in a trailer chock they shouldn't go anywhere. Is there a reason why you're worried enough about it to warrant a camera installation?
fordguy61mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not sure if you fully read my post.
Solar does NOT directly run the lights, fridge or furnace. Those all are powered by the battery. Solar simply recharges the battery.
You might want to study a little bit more how a 12v bus system works. It is impossible for the solar panels to only charge the battery and not also be supplying the 12 volt electrical loads connected to the same bus.

The solar panels must produce enough amps to supply all the electrical loads, and then only what is left over charges the batteries. If the solar panels cannot power the electrical loads, then the battery will be discharging.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical