Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 08:36 PM   #1

Electrical Issues in Arctic Wolf 26DBH

We blow a fuse with leveling the front risers. Our local dealer cannot find an issue. We have had it in 2 times before and they cannot "duplicate" the issue. This trip the motor in the bed to elevate it so you can read, broke in the "up" position. Luckily we were at some friends with the correct tools. Had to disassemble the bed to make it lay flat. On our way back, our water pump stopped working. We have had it out for a total of 6 nights last season and this was our first outing this year. Has anybody else had this many electrical issues? Our goal was to recreate, not have to take it in after every trip for all the "fixes" that need done.
beckym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to FRF.

When you say "Leveling front risers" are you talking about the tongue jack or the stabilizers? I suspect stabilizers, but want to make sure.

If you're talking about the stabilizers, they're not meant to lift the RV. They should only be ran down until they're snug against the ground/pad.

I looked at the info for the 26DBH and don't see where it has anything that could be a power operated bed. Can you post a picture of it or explain exactly what that does?

Take heart that once you get things worked out you should be able to enjoy the RV with breakdowns few and far between.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #3

I should clarify it is a 5th wheel and is the 26DBH8 or at least that's what it says beside the door. In the master bedroom there is a switch above the bed (technically on the front wall of the unit) that would lift the upper part of your body to sit in bed and read. My husband wanted to read and thought he might be more comfortable sitting up. It worked going up and then he decided that it wasn't comfortable at all like that and went to lower it and it was stuck in the upper position. We had to disassemble the bed to lay it down in the flat position.

I am also talking stabilizers. We aren't lifting the unit. We put leveling blocks under each stabilizer as well. We have gotten to the point of not plugging the fuse in until we get to our destination. This time when we did that and we hadn't even unhooked from the truck, we plugged fuse in and blew fuse. We plugged another in and it worked. This is on the front of the unit. The switch inside works just fine. It is just the front switch.

The water pump stopped working this trip as well. We are just beginning to feel like there are some major electrical issues with this unit.

We are trying to recreate and enjoy life, and these issues do not make it enjoyable. We would like to do a lot of boondocking (we call it dry camping), but are fearful things will break and we won't be able to fix them at these sorts of destinations.

Thank you for your time.
beckym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Well that makes a difference. What year is the RV?

So it's the landing gear that's blowing the fuse? Do you know if the dealer greased the landing gear gearbox and legs when they had it, or did they just tell you they couldn't duplicate the issue?

I've heard about those beds, but don't have any experience with it. Did they check for power at the motor? Did they check the fuse for the bed motor?

Have you checked the fuses for the water pump?

You could have some loose connections in the power center or in the grounds that's causing things to blow fuses. It's a good idea to go through all the electrical connections and make sure they're clean and tight?
Old 06-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
2 years till retirement

Electrical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckym View Post
I should clarify it is a 5th wheel and is the 26DBH8 or at least that's what it says beside the door. In the master bedroom there is a switch above the bed (technically on the front wall of the unit) that would lift the upper part of your body to sit in bed and read. My husband wanted to read and thought he might be more comfortable sitting up. It worked going up and then he decided that it wasn't comfortable at all like that and went to lower it and it was stuck in the upper position. We had to disassemble the bed to lay it down in the flat position.

I am also talking stabilizers. We aren't lifting the unit. We put leveling blocks under each stabilizer as well. We have gotten to the point of not plugging the fuse in until we get to our destination. This time when we did that and we hadn't even unhooked from the truck, we plugged fuse in and blew fuse. We plugged another in and it worked. This is on the front of the unit. The switch inside works just fine. It is just the front switch.

The water pump stopped working this trip as well. We are just beginning to feel like there are some major electrical issues with this unit.

We are trying to recreate and enjoy life, and these issues do not make it enjoyable. We would like to do a lot of boondocking (we call it dry camping), but are fearful things will break and we won't be able to fix them at these sorts of destinations.

Thank you for your time.
I have a 2017 265DBH8 Arctic Wolf 5th wheel and have been fulltiming in it for the past 18 months. The "Lippert brand" circuit board for the bed elevator went out in our unit about a year after buying it. Internet search seemed to show it was a common problem. I bypassed the circuit board and it works but doesn't stop at the limits of travel like the original unit did. ( I have to be careful to hold the switch only till it gets to where I want it) Replacing the circuit board was around 250.00 (my recollection).

We haven't had any other significant electrical issues with our unit. Overall it has been a pleasant experience (once I learned to call the mobile repair folks rather than taking it to the dealer for "repairs")

Proud owner of:
2017 Arctic Wolf 265DBH8 5th wheel
2017 Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost
Rusty the Rhodesian Ridgeback (we think)
gpeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #6

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckym View Post

Thank you for your time.
Becky, it sure sounds like the front switch is wired incorrectly, or the wire from it to the landing gear is pinched to the frame someplace. Next time you are at the dealer, you can demonstrate the problem. They may have only tested with the inside switch.

The reason I quit going to dealers for auto repairs nearly 50 years ago was that you cannot talk to the repair guys, only some high school dropout called a service writer. The repair guy cannot figure out what is needed because the writeup is poor and misleading.

Two examples:
In high school or college (mid-1960s), the van I used to deliver newspapers to carriers and stores was replaced with a new one. The shift linkage (automatic transmission) was mis-adjusted so it wouldn't stay in Park--kept sliding into Reverse. It was taken back to the dealer three times but never fixed. When I got into it for my 1PM run and it still wasn't repaired, I simply drove right back to the dealer and asked to speak directly to the garage manager. He immediately asked the guy who did the repair to speak with me. The mechanic started the engine and showed me that the van moved forward when the needle pointed to D and backward when it pointed to R. I said it didn't matter what the needle said, and showed him that it was so loose I could move it wherever it needed to be. I then showed him, with the engine off. that the column shifter could be moved back and forth between the two detents for N and D. It had to be lifted for L and for R, and lifted even further for P. I stated that most people shift by feel, not looking, especially when the route involves a lot of parking and backing. I started the engine and showed that the shift lever spots (by feel) did not match the transmission gears. "Oh," said the mechanic. "I was adjusting the needle." He had never gotten the message that the linkage needed adjusting. I was out of there in fifteen minutes, although I got reprimanded for starting my run late.

In 1976 with the imminent arrival of our second child, we sold our beloved Opel GT sports car and my (late) wife picked it's replacement, a 5-speed Datsun B-210 hatchback. Several months later I took it in for the free warranty inspection and oil change. During the service, the mechanic bent the throttle cable leading to a sticky portion of the pedal travel as the kink in the inner wire passed the kink in the outer housing. I took it back and the service writer attempted to explain to me that what I was feeling was the "kickdown." I told him it was a 5-speed and that manual transmissions don't have a kickdown. Once again I had to ask for the manager.

That was about 45 years ago. I think only used a dealer once since then and it ended badly, too.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26dbh, electric, electrical