Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarjent View Post
Interesting, usually just have my son hold the hose to the mouth for ten minutes, lol.

I’ve got an old water hose and shutoff laying round, perhaps my I will cut that hie and make this.
Right On that is what I did !!!
Attach my filter to the end,,, with a shut off valve on it !!!
Then you can find another job for your son !!!



PS: May want to make sure the old hose is as clean as posibill !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #22
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarjent View Post
Interesting, usually just have my son hold the hose to the mouth for ten minutes, lol.

I’ve got an old water hose and shutoff laying round, perhaps my I will cut that hie and make this.
I always use a cut off washing machine hose to fill the FW tank.
Like others mention- stick it in the fill port as far as you can. A little shutoff at the connection between the long hose and the short cut off end helps keep your shoes dry when it's full.

I saw a man trying to fill his tank with just an RV hose with the end still on it.
It burped back and soaked his shirt.
I suggested the cut washing machine hose and he was thankful and said he'd never heard of it!
It's the standard way to fill unless you have a rig that has a built in fill valve so you can fill the FW tank using your city water connection.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-42
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,966
Old Washing Machine Hoses would work Great !!!
Got a couple of pair hanging in the gearage,,, seeings I am a Old Pack Rat !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImQAJack View Post
The method I use to stop siphoning issues with fresh water tank. I turn the water pump on. After filling the tank, run a facet (usually the shower head in my water compartment) to draw water from the tank to release the vacuum from over flow/vent tube.
I tried this method this weekend after filling our tank I tuned on the pump and cold water on the sink, let that run till the overflow water basically slowed to a drip. Unlike last trip where I thought the tank was full but water kept siphoning out the overflow and we made it 3 days before we were out of water this time we made it 4 full days with water to spare and thatís with 2 little kids flushing toilets, baths, showers, and washing dishes multiple times.
Olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olotti View Post
I tried this method this weekend after filling our tank I tuned on the pump and cold water on the sink, let that run till the overflow water basically slowed to a drip. Unlike last trip where I thought the tank was full but water kept siphoning out the overflow and we made it 3 days before we were out of water this time we made it 4 full days with water to spare and thatís with 2 little kids flushing toilets, baths, showers, and washing dishes multiple times.
You also have to run hot water till it no longer has any air in the lines,,, you can then finish filling the FW tank !!!
I use the outdoor shower,,, where I have removed the Shower head !!!
That is where I always flush water !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
Our overflow tubes are mounted on the TOP of the fresh water tank, but then are routed below and come out underneath the coach. One time I overfilled the tank, water started coming out the tubes and kept coming out, siphoning all the water out and pancaking the tank! We have access to our fresh water tank as it is under the bed, pull a few screws and there it is. We did that and saw the tank was collapsing as the water was siphoning out because of the vacuum the siphon created. Freaked us out. So DH cut a hole in the fill tube at the tank so let air in which stopped the siphon but did not re expand the tank. We had to block the vent tubes while adding water (after he repaired the hole he had made) in order to prevent air escaping so the tank could re expand. So now, I NEVER leave the area of those vent tubes while filling and as soon as the first drop of water burps out of the tubes, I shut off the water. No need for caps, just vigilance while filling.
I had the same problem. Once the overflow starts flowing, I turn on the pump and open a faucet. That stops the overflow and tank is full.
__________________

2015 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,356
Doesn't that suggest...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
I had the same problem. Once the overflow starts flowing, I turn on the pump and open a faucet. That stops the overflow and tank is full.
Doesn't that behavior (siphoning the tank dry, collapsing the tank) suggest that the vent tube dips too deep into the tank?

The vent tube should come into the top of the tank and stop right there. Then as soon as the water level drops below the end of the tube, the siphoning stops. It shouldn't dip all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Since the tank in question is visible under the bed, I wonder:
  • how hard it would be to see how deep it dips into the tank
  • how hard it would be to modify the tube so it doesn't dip very deeply.
Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
LandKKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
I had the same problem. Once the overflow starts flowing, I turn on the pump and open a faucet. That stops the overflow and tank is full.
Wish we would have thought of that!!
__________________
Kevin and Linda Knight
2018 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
dog-mobile for Sophie, Roxy, and Kai
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
LandKKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Doesn't that behavior (siphoning the tank dry, collapsing the tank) suggest that the vent tube dips too deep into the tank?

The vent tube should come into the top of the tank and stop right there. Then as soon as the water level drops below the end of the tube, the siphoning stops. It shouldn't dip all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Since the tank in question is visible under the bed, I wonder:
  • how hard it would be to see how deep it dips into the tank
  • how hard it would be to modify the tube so it doesn't dip very deeply.
Larry
For us, the tank began collapsing seemingly immediately as the siphoning began so the level of the water never dropped below the end of the tube. The vent tubes only stick slightly into the tank at the top.
__________________
Kevin and Linda Knight
2018 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
dog-mobile for Sophie, Roxy, and Kai
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,966
Do not forget to fill the W/H !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank, water, water tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.