Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #1

Finally upgraded to a 274DBH from a tent. Have a few questions/concerns

Hi all. We finally made the jump to purchase a new travel trailer. Tents just don’t cut it anymore. We purchased a new 2020 Cherokee 274DBH. We purchased it sight unseen as it was ordered from the factory lot. It is a great rig and we like it a lot. But we do have some concerns.
1. The wood under the dinette seat cracked and the screw backed out when my four year old crawled up on it (converted as a bed).
2. The fridge door opened up during transport and hit the table which sprung the door.(dealer is aware of this)
3. The doors can be a pain to latch/unlatch unless the unit is 100% level and all stabilizer down.
4. Stabilizer jacks. There held on with ONE bolt and the rest are self tappers.
5. I’m concerned the bed might not hold us both if we are doing anything other than just sleeping [emoji23]
Lastly, is it common to have a from the factory model look like the floor has been walked on quite a bit? Maybe a factory showroom/demo model? Hoping to hear some feedback. Maybe even from forest river themselves. Overall we love the rig just wish the fit and finish was a little better. I don’t mind doing some modifications to beef stuff up but don’t want to void my one year warranty. I also have another question. We have the good Sam protection insurance for the systems inside the unit. Anyone have any good or bad experience with them?

Thanks for all the help. This forum is awesome. And if y’all get time, come camp here in Vermont. It is beautiful.

Ryan Cushing
Ferrisburg, Vermont
2020 Cherokee 274DBH
2016 Chevrolet 2500HD Z-71
Cush100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #2

It is possible the unit was a demo and brought to a show or 2. If that is the case there would have been (potentially) high traffic volume in and out of the unit. Which could also explain the cracked panel and screw issue, if a lot of people were sitting on it, moving around on it, checking it all out, etc. (As in, better to give it a thorough test on that show trailer than to buy one and test it out on your own, at the show, if it fails, it isnt your model you need to fix). At least that is how I think some people treat the show models.

That being said, our previous trailer was also brought to a show and we didnt have any issues with it. We suspected it was a show model because there was one of the bunk mattresses that seemed less new than the other mattress (the bottom on, so when people at the show would lay on the bunk, they would lay on the bottom, thus a little wear, no big deal). And also there was tape on the microwave. The dealers commonly tape the spec sheet for the unit to the microwave at the shows.

As for some of the issues:
2. Every unit design is different, but many people are able to create ways to fasten things closed during transit, using velcro straps, extendable rods, etc. You might need to experiment if it continues to be a problem
3. Some times you can make adjustments to the metal piece on the frame (I dont know its name) where the door handle latches to the frame.
4. You could always "beef up" the stabilizers to your comfort level with some nuts and bolts, not a challenging fix and will make you feel better
5. The bed should be ok, never had any issues with out trailers, but if it makes you more "confident", you could add some 1x2 cross members under the bed platform

Lastly, with a new unit, there will be things "wrong" with it, that blows your mind. And you will think, "how the h*ll did it leave the factory like this". Unfortunately its normal, and if you are handy, its a lot more convenient and a lot less painful to just fix it yourself (within reason, major component failure should be addressed for you). Everything you will need in order to make the repair you can find here on the forum, or from youtube videos (or both).

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #3

Just a comment on the floor. Some of the floors that are installed intentionally have a 'walked on' look.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi and Welcome to FRF!
What will you be towing with?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #5

Forest River quality

Hi, Bought a new Grey Wolf last year. A great unit overall; with only one exception. We are of average build, but after 3 nights on the bed, I noticed a real bend in the plywood covering under the mattress.
There was a 2 X 2 piece of wood for a brace, which had only been stapled in place. The 2 X 2 was strong enough, so I drilled it out and used carriage bolts to reinstall. That seems to have solved the problem! We had a trip planned and wanted to get going, so made a decision not to involve the dealer.
Good luck!

RennzFRF
14 Chevy Silverado T.V.
19 Cherokee Grey Wolf; 24 ft
One old man, one lovely lady and one mangy mut.
Rennzfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #6

The TT are somewhat slapped together. Your selling dealer should have at least wiped down the floor.
I found many inside cabinet divider panels mounted at angles to cover piping and wires that with a little effort could be cut down and remounted or just removed for a bunch of extra storage.
I also found A LOT of sawdust, splinter chunks, wood and metal hole drilling residue in every not easily accessible corner. Open everything up and plan on vacuuming.
If I had paid anywhere near what many dealers listed my TT, I would be pissed. Many had the same unit I got for $11,500.00 base price "On Sale" for $16-18,000.00.
Check out the number of and backing for screws on the lip that holds the dinette table in the bed position. Not enough and needs some backing reinforcement. A poster here had his drop out under him, one adult.
I recently removed my upper bunk for more room. If I were to reinstall it, I would put a screw though the frame into every wall stud I can find. It had 4 screws on each side and one on each end, 10 2" screws going through a 2x2" frame into 2x3" studs. Of course, that's dimensional lumber, carpenter speak, meaning 2 is really 1&1/2 and 3 is ~2&1/2".
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #7

Thoughts on Cherokee 274DBH

We have a slightly different Cherokee 274 model. Our particular unit was also used as a floor model at the Chicago RV Show. Fortunately, we did not find any breakage or unusual wear in our trailer. We have owned this trailer a little over 5 years and most all of our issues were easily solved ourselves. We did have fasteners pushing up into the vinyl flooring. This was fixed very well by Cherokee. The first upgrade we did was replace the mattress. The original mattress was a bit stiff.
Enjoy your travels in your Cherokee, hopefully soon.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:54 AM   #8
REL

Our fridge door would open during transport also. Turns out we had too much heavy stuff in the door shelves. It very slightly pulled the door down not letting the door latch fully engage.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #9

Re your #4 concern. Of the four TT's I've owned, if the stabilizer jacks weren't spot welded, they were secured with self tappers. All held up just fine.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #10

Thank you all so much for the advice and tips. I really appreciate it. You are all so informative with your replies. I couldn’t ask for better assistance.

All in all I think we got a good unit then. Sounds like a lot of my concerns with my Cherokee is echoed throughout all brands and price levels. All in all we love it so far. We haven’t had a chance to camp in it beyond our back yard, but it was great. And we are already planning on trying to upgrade to an Arctic Wolf fifth wheel in another two years or so. Next time we purchase a TT we definitely want to look at them all on the lots first. It is so hard to shop for an TT on the internet.

We will definitely be doing some “mods” to some of the things in the unit. Such as beefing up the bed. And I do not care for the cabinet false walls for hiding wires etc. No one can put up another piece of 2x and make it flush and tight? I know I can...

Thanks again y’all. Hope to see most y’all at the next forest river event if they come back again.

Ryan Cushing, Asst. Fire Chief Ferrisburg Fire
2020 Cherokee 274DBH
2016 Chevrolet 2500HD Z-71
Wife and eight kids and me and the dogs make a dozen.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #11

Don't make any changes you can't remove (wasting $$) or that changes initial visual appearance from stock if really planning on trading up soon. Yes, two years is soon for an RV. Plus, you'll just eat all the major depreciation ;(
Cushing? My mother was a Cushing from St. Petersburg, PA. There was a Lt Cushing who won the Medal of Honor at Gettysburg, Union side
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:33 AM   #12

HELP! Bad construction? Poor Q.C?

Hey all. Please help. I just bought a 2020 Cherokee a month ago. We just got to use it this weekend for the first time. Wow. I mean we love it but come on. First of all it appears the guy That delivered it when we purchased it had a dog that scratched the hell out of the electric fireplace digging at it. Also The window latch doesn’t work. The entry door wouldn’t close when the sun is shining on it. The sink drains leaked and I had to tighten them at all the connections. We don’t dare to try the shower. The fridge door won’t open correctly. There was many other little things that I would expect from a new rig but still not what it should be. And now today I am emptying the tanks for our trip home and go to use the black tank flush and it was not hooked right. Water got everywhere down inside the wall where it hooks to the rig and under the bathroom sink. That’s the final straw. What should I do y’all? I don’t usually complain but this was too expensive to have the floors rot because of faulty plumbing in the flush system and so on. What’s y’all thoughts? Should I ask for a new unit? We are about to pay our second payment on it and i can’t justify paying for something that is less than expected. Please help.

The Cushs
2020 Cherokee 274dbh
Old 06-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

Have you given your dealer an opportunity to address the issues? That would be the first step.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Was this stuff like this when you bought it?
Did you note any of it during the PDI (pre delivery inspection) Customer Orientation?
Have you contacted the dealer?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Have you given your dealer an opportunity to address the issues? That would be the first step.

This was the first time we have used it and our dealership should be opening soon. I will be calling them to get it in. My concern is that the floor is gonna Rot where the water went into the wall. It was prepped by a different place than the dealer and was delivered direct. I just wonder why they didn’t test the black water flush?
Old 06-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush100 View Post
This was the first time we have used it and our dealership should be opening soon. I will be calling them to get it in. My concern is that the floor is gonna Rot where the water went into the wall. It was prepped by a different place than the dealer and was delivered direct. I just wonder why they didn’t test the black water flush?
Well... we have no way of knowing what or why the different place than your dealer did or didn't do.

In many cases, finding the right dealer is often as important as finding the right R/V.

R/V dealers ARE NOT like car dealers. Some R/V dealers do a good job, others, not so much. Do not 'expect' anything from a dealer you don't have a relationship with or you'll likely be disappointed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #17
Site Team

Who contracted the "Different place to prep it?

Did you inspect it after it was prepped??

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush100 View Post
Hey all. Please help. I just bought a 2020 Cherokee a month ago. We just got to use it this weekend for the first time. Wow. I mean we love it but come on. First of all it appears the guy That delivered it when we purchased it had a dog that scratched the hell out of the electric fireplace digging at it. Also The window latch doesn’t work. The entry door wouldn’t close when the sun is shining on it. The sink drains leaked and I had to tighten them at all the connections. We don’t dare to try the shower. The fridge door won’t open correctly. There was many other little things that I would expect from a new rig but still not what it should be. And now today I am emptying the tanks for our trip home and go to use the black tank flush and it was not hooked right. Water got everywhere down inside the wall where it hooks to the rig and under the bathroom sink. That’s the final straw. What should I do y’all? I don’t usually complain but this was too expensive to have the floors rot because of faulty plumbing in the flush system and so on. What’s y’all thoughts? Should I ask for a new unit? We are about to pay our second payment on it and i can’t justify paying for something that is less than expected. Please help.

The Cushs
2020 Cherokee 274dbh
What did you say to “the guy That delivered it” about the dog scratches before you accepted delivery from him?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
What did you say to “the guy That delivered it” about the dog scratches before you accepted delivery from him?
What the heck was a dog doing in your new rv anyhow?

Unfortunately, the conditions you describe are about par for the course on a lot of new units these days. I feel a bit bad for new owners that aren't as well versed in what to look for.
Make a detailed check list of every item that needs correction and start the process of developing a relationship with the selling dealer....or find an independent rv repair shop that is able to deal with the paperwork and phone calls to take care of warranty work.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #20

Also from experience on my 26DBH, request the entry door that sticks be replaced. Door frame and all. I had this problem on mine. Mine was so bad that when the sun hit the doors, they would expand and bind. This would happen on both doors. My wife was not able to open the doors and I would have to put a shoulder into them to get them open. Big safety issue if needed to exit quickly. The dealer tried to adjust mine (used block of wood and hit the door frame) but it was never resolved. Got really bad when the unit was about 2 years old. I contacted Forest River and complained about the safety issue. Since it was reported while the unit was under warranty, they replaced both entry doors/frames at no cost to me. Problem gone! As others have said, there were several items I corrected on my unit when I got it new. If you can find a good service department, stick with them as it helps a lot!
billybigrigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade