Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

Finally weighed the spare & rear rack, SURPRISE!

2019 Wolf Pup BHS16
Spare tire 40#, rear rack and pins also 40#, did not remove the rack hinge supports for weighing. Likely 3-5# each. I did push up one side hinge to read the warning sticker UNDER it. The warning was that mounting anything non factory to the bumper would void the frame warranty, hidden under that rack hinge mount!
I was considering removing the rack to save weight but after adding the bumper mount spare tire carrier, that would save about 30# and void my frame warranty for S&Gs.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #2

So about 85lbs? I was wondering how much weight it was. The bumper supports 200lbs according to the sticker.

Would you put a 4000W generator and 5 Gallons metal gas can filled on this rack, with the tire?

I hate how the thing rattles when collapsed. Maybe a tie down would keep it tight.
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPup2018 View Post
So about 85lbs? I was wondering how much weight it was. The bumper supports 200lbs according to the sticker.

Would you put a 4000W generator and 5 Gallons metal gas can filled on this rack, with the tire?

I hate how the thing rattles when collapsed. Maybe a tie down would keep it tight.
That 200# rating is for the rack, not the bumper. The rack clamps to the frame in front of the bumper and those supports rest some on the bumper.

The rack rating does not include the spare tire weight per the stickers, so subtract that 40# for a 160# remaining rack CCC. Gas weighs what, ballpark 6#/gal? So 30# of gas. My 3500 watt Champion weighs 106#. So that would be 176 out of 200 in my case. I measured and I have to either remove or straddle my generator wheels over the rack edges. Besides, I have a helava time lifting my genny.

I cannot put anything on my rack because it would drag the spare tire going in and out my drive ;( I'd have to load items after pulling onto the road. Not sure if the welded on spare bracket would drag with the rack down, tire off.

I don't notice the rattling that far back when driving. At slow speeds on turns, my WDH groans so loud, it covers all else up
Old 08-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #4

Mine says with the tire. I could take the tire off and throw it in the cargo area I suppose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64E3771B-226A-4F8F-AC6F-B1CE1526830B.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	184940  
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #5

Weight limit 200 pounds including spare tire.
I read that as needing to allow for the spare tire in that 200 pounds.
To read otherwise it should say weight limit 200 pounds EXCLUDING spare tire.
I may have misphrased my earlier post about the above but my subtraction should have cleared that up.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #6

I am towing my Pup with a 2017 Ford Edge V6 rated to tow 3500 lbs. I removed the rack & put the spare in the car. Am I being too nervous about the weight? The car pulls it ok but I do feel it. Good thing Florida is flat.
retdocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by retdocj View Post
I am towing my Pup with a 2017 Ford Edge V6 rated to tow 3500 lbs. I removed the rack & put the spare in the car. Am I being too nervous about the weight? The car pulls it ok but I do feel it. Good thing Florida is flat.
Wolf pup BHS16? 3877# GVWR, 3166# dry weight plus 41# battery and 20# of propane filled (empty tank in dry weight). So 3227# before food, clothing and sundries. After I bought my new truck, I discovered that tow ratings INCLUDE the tow vehicle (TV) Load capacity. Conversely, the TT GVWR includes the tongue weight carried by the TV. Your TT has a 3500# GAWR, the 3877# GVWR is reached by the TV carrying 377# of tongue weight!
Lucky you are in FL flatlands. You are right to be concerned about weight. Pack lightly! Limit extras, nothing in the water tanks.
If you have the 2.7EB, it is a killer engine and is rated at 7600-9000# towing capacity in an F150. According to the Ford Towing Guide, you have a class 2 hitch. That by definition is limited to 3500#.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:06 AM   #8

Wolf pup towing weight

TY for responding. My Pup is a 2018 FQ which weighs 29776# +/-. Removing the frame lowers it to ~2700. We only go to FL campgrounds & travel lightly. Our dishes & small appliances add up to <50#. Food is just for a few days & water tanks are empty. We keep fishing tackle & other toys in the car. It is just DW & myself so we stay under the 3500 lbs car towing limit. Even so the car works hard but it is so comfortable that I hate to give it up.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #9

I removed rack and spare from rear of our wolf pup 18to. Was a lot of bouncing going on back there. My DIL's parents have a 32 RV by forest river, not sure which model, they arrived at camp ground and discovered no spare on their back rack! Fell off while in transit, could have been a very serious accident caused by this.

— Herman Hesse
NCThiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #10

That is so scary and expensive too. There is really no practical to tell if that happens to anyone. I would think that using nylock nuts on the bolts that hold the spare will keep them from vibrating loose and causing the spare to fall off
Old 12-31-2020, 11:28 PM   #11
J&J Camping

Taking stuff (spare tire) off camper and putting it in TV is not helping anything in weight. Anything in back of the TT axles would lower tounge weight would it not?
itsjb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjb5 View Post
Taking stuff (spare tire) off camper and putting it in TV is not helping anything in weight. Anything in back of the TT axles would lower tounge weight would it not?
Taking the spare off the factory rack allows more weight on the rack and added ground clearance in the rear, more so if you take off the spare tire mount hoop.
Since my 2019 post, I’ve removed my spare and cut off the welded spare tire hoop mount and repainted the rack. I also did an axle flip.
I would not add the spare onto the tow vehicle’s Load unless you have plenty of capacity to spare (pun intended).
I put my spare into the TT front underbed storage. Took weight off the rear and added it to the front, I.e., tongue weight. 695# tongue weight by HaulGauge with a full tank of water. About 18% of my loaded TT. Towed great but I think it’s excessive. First time hauling full water. Not planning on doing that again so the tongue weight should be under 15% next time.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
I put my spare into the TT front underbed storage. Took weight off the rear and added it to the front, I.e., tongue weight. 695# tongue weight by HaulGauge with a full tank of water. About 18% of my loaded TT. Towed great but I think it’s excessive. First time hauling full water. Not planning on doing that again so the tongue weight should be under 15% next time.
Why do you think it's excessive. After all, fully loaded (water included) you did say "Towed great".

Also, here's what GMC says about tongue weight for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers:

Quote:
For gooseneck and fifth wheel trailers, which are designed to handle larger loads, proper tongue weight is between 15 and 30 percent of the loaded trailer weight.
Based on this, I'd think your 18% tongue weight would be just right, especially if it "towed great"

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPup2018 View Post

It depends on how strong the rack is secured to the trailer. I came darned close to losing my generator and extra fuel tank when the pins that secure the rack tore through the metal on one side. Thank goodness someone flagged me down. I put everything in my pickup and put the rack in the upright position. I stopped for lunch and when I was doing my walkaround, the spare was sitting at an angle and I noticed that the top weld of the rack had torn through the metal. I pulled spare off and put it in the pickup and then grabbed the spare tire mount, wiggled it a little and it came off in my hand.

When I got home I removed the rack and welded new metal in onto the rack and actually doubled the thickness of the rack where the pins go. I bought an under-trailer spare tire carrier and just welded metal over the holes in the rear rack where the spare mount once had been. I added brackets to the bumper that connect to the rack at the rear of the rack and in the center which at least tripled the weight carrying capacity of the rack. The rack now has my 3000 watt Yamaha inverter, two five gallon gas cans and a spare 20 lb LP tank secured to the rack and it's worked fine for almost two years.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjco View Post
It depends on how strong the rack is secured to the trailer. I came darned close to losing my generator and extra fuel tank when the pins that secure the rack tore through the metal on one side. Thank goodness someone flagged me down. I put everything in my pickup and put the rack in the upright position. I stopped for lunch and when I was doing my walkaround, the spare was sitting at an angle and I noticed that the top weld of the rack had torn through the metal. I pulled spare off and put it in the pickup and then grabbed the spare tire mount, wiggled it a little and it came off in my hand.

When I got home I removed the rack and welded new metal in onto the rack and actually doubled the thickness of the rack where the pins go. I bought an under-trailer spare tire carrier and just welded metal over the holes in the rear rack where the spare mount once had been. I added brackets to the bumper that connect to the rack at the rear of the rack and in the center which at least tripled the weight carrying capacity of the rack. The rack now has my 3000 watt Yamaha inverter, two five gallon gas cans and a spare 20 lb LP tank secured to the rack and it's worked fine for almost two years.
Did you take any pictures before the mods? Is it possible to post pics of the mods? Thanks
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by retdocj View Post
TY for responding. My Pup is a 2018 FQ which weighs 29776# +/-. Removing the frame lowers it to ~2700. We only go to FL campgrounds & travel lightly. Our dishes & small appliances add up to <50#. Food is just for a few days & water tanks are empty. We keep fishing tackle & other toys in the car. It is just DW & myself so we stay under the 3500 lbs car towing limit. Even so the car works hard but it is so comfortable that I hate to give it up.
You also have to look at the TV weight carrying capacity as well as the carrying capacity of your wolf pup. You are hauling gear in the TV so that adds in to the equation as well. If you ever want to venture outside of Florida and into the mountains you will likely be way under powered.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
You also have to look at the TV weight carrying capacity as well as the carrying capacity of your wolf pup. You are hauling gear in the TV so that adds in to the equation as well. If you ever want to venture outside of Florida and into the mountains you will likely be way under powered.
Thank you, I'm pretty much aware of the points that you are making. At this point I do not anticipate leaving Florida. I recognize that I would have to get a heftier TV if I do decide to widen my camping range.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #18

How about a bike rack?

I would love to move my spare tire left and then add a bike rack.
But reading this thread and a couple others makes me very nervous about adding any weight to what may or may not be a legit bumper.
Duner733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner733 View Post
I would love to move my spare tire left and then add a bike rack.
But reading this thread and a couple others makes me very nervous about adding any weight to what may or may not be a legit bumper.
The rear bumper is mostly a storage tube for the stinky slinky. It is made of thin wall tubing so anything added to it you would need to be careful about how tight you torque the bolts. Also since it is thin wall if the weight is more than the rated weight it could break the welds. The rack is only rated at 100 Lbs.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
The rear bumper is mostly a storage tube for the stinky slinky. It is made of thin wall tubing so anything added to it you would need to be careful about how tight you torque the bolts. Also since it is thin wall if the weight is more than the rated weight it could break the welds. The rack is only rated at 100 Lbs.
And that is what I have been hearing and will follow that thinking.
It would be nice to have but I will figure out another process.
Duner733 is offline   Reply With Quote