Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

First Timer - thinking about a 2019 GW 26DJSE

Hello all, first time poster first travel trailer.

After much deliberation over the last few months and going up and down in our budget we decided to go see and maybe buy a grey wolf 26djse. I started looking for reviews and found nothing but disaster stories about grey wolf and a ton specific to the 26djse.

I decided to register and post to see if there are any owners of this TT here that could chime in about your experience.

Our previous selection was a winnebago 2455bhs but since we are new to this we decided to go down from the 25k to the 15k range for our first one, are we making a mistake?

Thank you.
boombata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombata View Post

After much deliberation over the last few months and going up and down in our budget we decided to go see and maybe buy a grey wolf 26djse. I started looking for reviews and found nothing but disaster stories about grey wolf and a ton specific to the 26djse.

I decided to register and post to see if there are any owners of this TT here that could chime in about your experience.

Our previous selection was a winnebago 2455bhs but since we are new to this we decided to go down from the 25k to the 15k range for our first one, are we making a mistake?

Thank you.
Boombata,

I can't tell you anything specific about the Grey Wolf 26djse, but I would only say this: People tend to post the NEGATIVES as opposed to someone getting on a forum posting good things about their unit. Consider how many negatives you read about the Grey Wolf, then go to a Winnebago forum and see what you can find about the 2455bhs. I haven't done so, but you should, just to be able to compare the two.

Also, you are comparing a 25K trailer with a 15K trailer. Better to compare similarly-priced units.

Whatever your decision, good luck. I hope you get a good unit and enjoy the heck out if it.

2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

Thank you! i should clarify i am not comparing them, i am just worried about spending less on a TT and then ending up with a host of issues. i know few people take to the www to post about how great their stuff is, i found this forum seeking positive experiences by owners.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #4

First Timer - thinking about a 2019 GW 26DJSE

I do not own a 26DJSE but do own an 17 26DBH. About a year ago, I toured the factory that builds the Cherokee and Grey Wolf. Given the price point of the Grey Wolf’s I was pleasantly impressed with the construction . All wall studs are average 12in on center, roof trusses are 16in on center with 3/8 OSB sheeting therefore walkable roof cover with TPO membrane. Floor is 2x3 construction sheeted with 5/8 tongue and groove plywood. ABS plumbing with PEX water supply lines. Probably a little better stick and tin construction than some other manufacturers within the same price points. My dislikes are the cabinetry! The cabinet stiles are particle board that are joined with corrugated joint fasteners. I would prefer they used lumber core stiles that are pocket screwed . But so far none of the cabinets have fallen apart. Just don’t allow water to get on the fake wood grain wrap as that particle board swells like a sponge! All appliance will be of the same no matter what brand you buy. Tires is another area I dislike. Should have come standard with Goodyear Endurance tires instead of the Castle Rocks. This is where Jayco got it right ! Overall, I think for the price point of the unit the Cherokee’s/ Grey Wolf is the best bang for the dollar! Winnebago will have better fit/finish and decor. So far I’ve had no major issues with my Grey Wolf as I’m heading into my 2nd year of ownership.
Barmstrong77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
Gold Tee Box

You haven't mentioned family size, how often you will be camping, going full time, camping experience, or how handy you are to fix/maintain.

That will all be part of your satisfaction level.

Not knowing how good of a fit this would be for you, any camper will require a combination of skills to overcome the camping experience.

Keep in mind that whatever you buy, you will be shaking the hell out of it going over bridge approaches and rough roads, so it is not just about the original product.

Having said all that, we used to own a Grey Wolf 27BDH and it worked well for us for a few years, no regrets.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmstrong77 View Post
I do not own a 26DJSE but do own an 17 26DBH. About a year ago, I toured the factory that builds the Cherokee and Grey Wolf. Given the price point of the Grey Wolf’s I was pleasantly impressed with the construction . All wall studs are average 12in on center, roof trusses are 16in on center with 3/8 OSB sheeting therefore walkable roof cover with TPO membrane. Floor is 2x3 construction sheeted with 5/8 tongue and groove plywood. ABS plumbing with PEX water supply lines. Probably a little better stick and tin construction than some other manufacturers within the same price points. My dislikes are the cabinetry! The cabinet stiles are particle board that are joined with corrugated joint fasteners. I would prefer they used lumber core stiles that are pocket screwed . But so far none of the cabinets have fallen apart. Just don’t allow water to get on the fake wood grain wrap as that particle board swells like a sponge! All appliance will be of the same no matter what brand you buy. Tires is another area I dislike. Should have come standard with Goodyear Endurance tires instead of the Castle Rocks. This is where Jayco got it right ! Overall, I think for the price point of the unit the Cherokee’s/ Grey Wolf is the best bang for the dollar! Winnebago will have better fit/finish and decor. So far I’ve had no major issues with my Grey Wolf as I’m heading into my 2nd year of ownership.
Thank you! we looked at some that had pocket screwed cabinetry but man, there are so many models out there it's hard to keep track. We also looked at a comparable Jayco, the Jayco's we saw all seem to be missing the black tank flush which i hear is a must have these days?
Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

Boombata...If you like to see the pictures from my factory tour I can send you a link for you to view! Might give you better insight of how the Grey Wolf's are constructed.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
You haven't mentioned family size, how often you will be camping, going full time, camping experience, or how handy you are to fix/maintain.

That will all be part of your satisfaction level.

Not knowing how good of a fit this would be for you, any camper will require a combination of skills to overcome the camping experience.

Keep in mind that whatever you buy, you will be shaking the hell out of it going over bridge approaches and rough roads, so it is not just about the original product.

Having said all that, we used to own a Grey Wolf 27BDH and it worked well for us for a few years, no regrets.
Thanks for the advice, we are a family of 4, our kids are both under 10. We are looking at the bigger double bunk models to have the ability to have another family come with us.

Our camping trips will not be longer than 3 days for the first year or so. I am not very handy fixing stuff but from what i've been reading i am going to have to be!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #9

There is no "best" unit really. Even some of the 300K coaches have issues. In that price range there is a certain amount of "you get what you pay for". There's a lot of competition and what a company compromises on will vary by manufacturer. Some cheap out on materials, others cheap out on labor. Which would you prefer?

I guess what I'm saying is whatever you end up with, go into it expecting there to be issues. Don't over extend your budget, because these things are so overpriced, that unless you live in it full time it's not really cheaper than just driving somewhere and going to a local hotel. Remember the expense isn't just the trailer, there's operating costs too. Insurance, maintenance, GAS, accessories, etc., etc.,. My trailer was 22K out the door, and by the time I figure my operating costs and usage, my ROI is about 10 years.

So more important than which model you choose, realize there will be issues and it's the service department or shop that does the fixing that's important. Unfortunately a lot of dealers have a poor service record. What I have done is taken "ownership" of doing my own repairs. This way I don't have to worry about paying someone else, the quality or their work, timeframe, etc. Certainly do your homework and avoing repetitive offenders who produce garbage coaches, but like I said, expect to have issues and learn the best approach to deal with them so you're comfortable with the operating cost. Otherwise it becomes an expensive liability that you won't enjoy much.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #10

we just bought the model just under yours, the 23bdh and just returned from a three week trip down to Arizona, east on Hyw. 40, to New Mexico and up to Utah through Moab. Over all we are very happy with the new Gray Wolf and would recommend it. The only real issue, other then the normal minor ones that will come with a new trailer was the rear end ground clearance of the trailer being to low. Within the first two days both rear stabilizer were smashed and later the rear steps have gotten bent. We do a lot of boondocking off the grid camping and will be making adjustments to trailer to fix this problem. I've been told that flipping the axles will help raise the trailer. If most of your camping will be at RV parks and highway travel, this probably won't be an issue. Again, overall we love the trailer and would recommend it.
kgriff5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Boombata...If you like to see the pictures from my factory tour I can send you a link for you to view! Might give you better insight of how the Grey Wolf's are constructed.
I have a Grey Wolf trailer and would like to see the photos of the construction at the factory. Could you send me the lnk?
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboczek View Post
I have a Grey Wolf trailer and would like to see the photos of the construction at the factory. Could you send me the lnk?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sNJszqiWEwCANqQ92
Old 04-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #13
RiderBloke

Quote:
Thanks for the link - that helps me with my 26RR.

To the OP - spend time researching your dealer. A good dealer can help you deal with problems; a bad dealer can turn a good deal into a disaster.
My 26RR has been pretty good. I have made some mods and am now going to spend this summer doing preventative stuff - eternabond roof joints, sealing windows etc, plus LifePO4 battery and/or solar.
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #14

We loved our grey wolf. We picked ours up in Ohio. Suburban RV center. Saved over $10,000 over locals. I did not have same model as what your looking at, but over all line Is a great brand. Just remember the same components go in all trailers, so the more expensive ones will have same heaters, AC, etc. find the floor plan you like, do a thorough PDI, get all issues fixed before signing. If possible take another person that knows about RVs with you when you pick it up. You will be in the moment and will miss things. That other person will be your watch dog. I’m actually riding out to Indiana with my brother to be his second/third pair of eyes for his new camper.

On a personal not I prefer the stick and tin trailers over the fiberglass. My first camper was a well kept used 2000 fleetwood mallard and I had the outside looking almost new where some of the fiberglass the same age looked like crap due to fading and cracking.

Good luck. As riderbloke said we made plenty of mods to our camper and if your bored and want a good read look up pimp my 26rr to see some of the great ideas for making these trailers your own. Good luck and happy camping.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #15

We picked up a 2019 26DJSE in January, and have taken it out once so far. Lot's of things to like about this trailer, so far I have no issues. Obviously it's still new, but so far we love it!
AE0MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #16

Quote:
I would definitely like to see those pictures, thanks.
Greywolf 26dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf 26dbh View Post
I would definitely like to see those pictures, thanks.

Link for the pictures are in post #12.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #18

I think the lesser price RV might be better. The general census is "one doesn't know what they want" on their first RV...maybe even the second. We are on our second and we were thinking of the next one as we used our near new RV along the way. What we thought we wanted in the original one wasn't exactly correct.

Couple things I can suggest. Based on my experience in SW AR/NE TX 100+ summers

26-28 feet about the biggest I would want with one A/C unit here.
Outdoor kitchen is a true blessing.
Slide toppers for me. I camp in the trees most of the time.
Make sure you keep the weights in specs.
Dealing with the tri-fold couch and no bunk house is taxing(but we don't have near as many people as we thought originally).
Being able to see the TV for rain time/movie time is important...unless you just have a couple people.
Biggest fridge is your friend.

I will keep thinking.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #19

2018 Grey Wolf 26DJSE

Quote:

Thank you.
So we were first-time campers and we had a checklist of our "wants".

We are a family of 4, we have 10-year-old twin boy and girl so they need there own bed and space. That's why we love the Grey Wolf 26DJSE, we have a Queen bed in front and the Double bunks in the back for the kids, with the couch that folds out into a double bed and the dinette that folds down into a bed. so lots of extra space if family or friends decide to join us camping.

We have done 3 week long trips in 2018 with a couple of smaller "weekend" trips over the summer, and we are very happy with our trailer.

My biggest concern when we were buying the travel trailer was the weight @1925kgs/4244lbs.
My truck is a Toyota 4runner SUV that has a max capacity towing of 5000lbs.
I have been pleasantly surprised, the trailer is light enough that the 4runner pulls it with no problems at all. One of our annual trips now is from Halifax Nova Scotia to Fundy National Park Of Canada in New Brunswick which is around 1hr drive north of Saint John. This trip, in particular, has loads of up and down hills and the towing has been a pleasure.

I highly recommend the Grey Wolf 26DJSE.
Abilio01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, we are a family of 4, our kids are both under 10. We are looking at the bigger double bunk models to have the ability to have another family come with us.

Our camping trips will not be longer than 3 days for the first year or so. I am not very handy fixing stuff but from what i've been reading i am going to have to be!
We originally went to look at this model. Found out our branch manager at the local bank has this trailer. Her advice to us was to spend a couple thousand more and get one with a slide out. Her comment was on rainy days, everyone is just to cooped up and gets too cramped. We took her advice and we are so happy we did.

Good luck.
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time