Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

First trip and find springy floor.

Picked up our 2016 304r last week and made the first trip this weekend. Only problem is I found a springy spot in the floor in front of the kitchen sink. Did not notice it during the walk down, the island was sitting there. When we setup and positioned the island where we wanted it I noticed the floor. When you step on the spot it depresses around 1/2" in the one spot. It doesn't make any sound like a rotten spot would. Anyone else experience anything like this? I'm 2 hours from the dealer so it's not just a pop I to get checked. You can't check from the bottom, it's in the area above the tanks that is sealed. I would not expect rot on this new of a trailer.
Hankdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Probably not rot but just the nature of these newer floors.
The floors are made from VERY thin boards sandwiched around styrofoam and installed over floor bracings that are typically pretty far apart. If the glue holding it all together was applied too thin in a certain spot, it will break the sandwich loose and you will have a spongy place.

Only solution I have heard or read about is to either remove the sealed underbelly and see if a brace can be added where the trouble spot is or have the floor replaced.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #3

This is supposed to be 5/8 tounge and groove plywood on 16" centers. Maybe that's what's in there.
Hankdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Agree that it has 5/8 T&G but ? on the 16"O/C ! In that location removing the Vinyl that is Totally 1pc front to back or the enclosed underbelly and tanks below the floor is a Major job for the Dealer or Factory also! Youroo!!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
kyoshi

have some experience with this ....my 2010 V-Cross 25VFB had the awning bracket come loose and I stuffed some epoxy and wood slivers in the hole and rebolted it never was great but it did hold. to my point! 4 months later in Texas I stepped through the plywood in the bathroom with nothing supporting me but the lino.....checked for leaks etc. no drips under trailer....so I got a piece of plywood and got us through the winter.
back home I started to cut out to do the repair and discovered wood rot ,mould, I took out shower, cabinets, the equivalent of 1.5 sheets of plywood that was rotten.
found that this was all caused by a roof leak that had been there since new......check the roof carefully!
kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
kyoshi

this story did have a good ending ....I had taken approx. 40 photos as I was tearing this thing apart and sent them to my dealer, this is after owning the trailer 1 year with a 30 day warranty and they told me to bring it in and they would do the repairs at no charge .....said it was a common problem and manufacturer would cover them......
Oh yea. the awning bracket.....the perimeter floor plate was completely rotten and the only thing holding was the epoxy and aluminium .......
kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

I had a leak looked and looked, I finally rolled electric awning and just happened to pull cover off where wiring was and where the wire entered the rv there was a hole in the chaulking. The water was following the wires down and after rechaulking fixed the leak.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

If u have 5/8 t&g with 1/2" deflection u have a problem. Call the dealer or forest river
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #9

No support bracing where the tank is installed.
I also would guess you don't have 5/8" T&G.
DWRAT is offline   Reply With Quote