Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

Forest River Cherokee Extreme package.

I just purchased a Arctic Wolf 285 with the extreme weather package. After taking the camper home I noticed that the drain pipes were all exposed. They will freeze this way. Having an extreme weather package means it should not freeze in all 4 seasons. Forest River just says this is the way it comes. If this is so why are the 2021s fully enclosed. This is a 2020 camper. I am a extremely unhappy camper.
rswiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

rswiney... Welcome to the forum. I see it is your 1st post. I'm sorry your 1st post was about something you dislike instead of how awesome camping is in your newly acquired R/V.

If you spend any time on any R/V forums, you will find there is no such thing as a true 4 season R/V unless you get into custom built R/Vs.

An Arctic package/Extreme weather package simply allows you to extend your camping season into colder weather but it doesn't make them freeze proof. Some Arctic packages/tank heaters do have small heating pads on the pipes. Some do not. I'm sorry you didn't understand what YOURS had before purchasing.

On the R/Vs that do not have heaters on the piping, it is because it is often recommended to not keep your sewer drain hose connected in freezing temperatures.

The tank heaters will keep the liquid in the tanks from freezing so, when you want to dump, you simply connect the sewer hose and dump, then remove the hose until next time.

Other areas of concern in cold weather are the low point drain pipes and the outside shower. Many folks use some insulation to try to keep these areas from freezing as well.

What are your cold weather camping plans and how do you plan to use the R/V?

The R/Vs furnace often plays a big role in keeping the piping warm as often times heat ducts from the furnace run near the plumbing.

Finally, many folks will winterize the R/V and simply carry water for use and not use the R/Vs plumbing and also take advantage of the campground's bath house facilities.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river