Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Frame mounted hitch

Looking to add a four bike rack to the back of my Grey Wolf 26DBH. I want to use a frame mounted hitch that will be sturdy. I refuse to use the rack or one of those cheap bumper mounts that will likely fail. Has anyone found a frame mounted hitch with a 2" reciever that works well with the 26DBH?
Kallen425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

You will have a hard time finding an RV rated 4-bike rack, especially for the back of an RV. Like riding in the back of a school bus, there is a LOT more bouncing back there.

I ended up with an Arvika that puts the bike on the front of the TT and am reasonably happy. I started a thread on here you can find if you are interested.
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Yeah you're right there aren't really any 4 bike racks that are approved for RV use. Plus after doing some measurements, I'd need a receiver extension to make most racks clear the bumper. That reduces the capacity by 50%. So I've decided since I don't carry much in the bed of my truck when towing, I'm going to get the Raceface tailgate pad. When towing I have 400lbs of payload left. The four bikes plus pad will only add just short of 150.
Kallen425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:30 PM   #4

I put 3 bikes, laying flat, on the back rack and I regretted it. The bounced around and the cover of the spare tire got scraped up a bit. Fortunately, the tire did not get damaged. I don't plan on doing that again.
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #5

I added bike tire brackets to my rack which is rated for 200 lbs. I posted a thread previously with pictures and details. Carry 3 bikes and with ratchet straps no bounce at all (I see it clearly on my rear view camera). I also took the spare tire off both for reduced weight on the rack plus clearance, and now carry the spare in the camper or in bed of truck.

Of course you wanted 4 and I sometimes bring 4 but just put that 4th one in the bed of the truck. Have a ton more room in the bed moving those 3 bikes to the camper rack and when I don’t carry a 4th can use the bed cover as well.

Willie
ILWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:33 PM   #6

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2513164
ILWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, hitch, mount, ram