Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Fresh water drain

Hi folks !
Another newby question.
I have a 2019 Grey Wolf 26DJSE.
I found my fresh water drain, and connected an extension with a ball valve so I can drain the tank without having to crawl under the camper. While I was connecting the extension, I noticed another hose leading off at a 90 degree angle on the drain. Is this where the pump is pulling water from the tank, or is it the overflow? I did notice that there is a small hole with a screen over it along side the fresh water input port on the side of my camper. Just need some expert clarification so I know exactly how this thing works.
PinTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinTwister View Post
Hi folks !
Another newby question.
I have a 2019 Grey Wolf 26DJSE.
I found my fresh water drain, and connected an extension with a ball valve so I can drain the tank without having to crawl under the camper. While I was connecting the extension, I noticed another hose leading off at a 90 degree angle on the drain. Is this where the pump is pulling water from the tank, or is it the overflow? I did notice that there is a small hole with a screen over it along side the fresh water input port on the side of my camper. Just need some expert clarification so I know exactly how this thing works.
Can you post a picture?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #3

Reply to Mr. Dan

It is dark now. Will post it later. Might be a while because rain starts tonight and will continue for about 4 days. The connection in question is a simple T conection. leaving the bottom of the tank, 1 side is the drain and the other side has a white hose connected to it. It runs between the tank and the frame, then disappears into never-never land.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #4

Yes, this is where the water pump draw's fresh water from your fresh tank.
AE0MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #5

something like this ??

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_150410.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	202034
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
something like this ??

Attachment 202034
I hope that didn't come from the factory like that! Would be the first thing I modified. Remove that valve and put the cap on the tee. Accident waiting to happen.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #7

T connection

That is the exact fitting I have on mine. Only I put a 90 degree 1/2 inch barb on mine and ran a hose to the side of my trailer. Thanks for the confirmation that the other hose is the pump intake. I still need to know if the small hole with the screen next to the fill port is the vent, and does it also double as an overflow.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
That is the exact fitting I have on mine. Only I put a 90 degree 1/2 inch barb on mine and ran a hose to the side of my trailer. Thanks for the confirmation that the other hose is the pump intake. I still need to know if the small hole with the screen next to the fill port is the vent, and does it also double as an overflow.
I was digging in mine yesterday, and I found that what looks like the vent was not connected to anything, and had a blob of hot glue on the back side of that vent to seal it.
The overflow is at the top of the fresh water tank itself, and I think it just runs over the side of the tank.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #9

overflow

That doesn't sound right. That would leave a way for dirt to get into the system.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #10

There very well may be a screen at the overflow, I haven’t looked under there to see it, but I know on mine, there isn’t a line run from the vent port next to the fill tube. You can easily see this by taking off the lower panel inside the vanity door. This is where your water pump is located, so you will need to get in there for winterizing and dewinterizing anyhow.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
something like this ??

Attachment 202034
Don't get it. There's a ball valve with an extension and cap attached. What's the point?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
On my 16BHS Pup there is a plastic 90 fitting coming out the side of the fresh water tank that acts as an overflow. I too have the little screen by the water port but not sure what it is for. Just fill your tank up all the way and your bound to find where the overflow is
2016Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I hope that didn't come from the factory like that! Would be the first thing I modified. Remove that valve and put the cap on the tee. Accident waiting to happen.
My mod. cap leaked horribly. Over 2 feet of clearance between the cap at the bottom and the ground.

Should get a pick of the bar I made that fits onto the ball valve. Don't have to crawl under the trailer to open valve. Cap is only on when traveling or sitting in the driveway.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't get it. There's a ball valve with an extension and cap attached. What's the point?
cap keeps crud out of the line and keeps little critters from building nest in the end of the tube. Mud Wasps ?? yeah I've had few plug things up.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
In what way?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
In what way?
All it takes is a piece of tire or other debris hitting that thing and taking it all off including breaking the tank. If you want a ball valve, put a tee in and run a line sideways with a ball valve close to the edge of the trailer. If the cap is leaking, you need a better cap. All I have is a cap and it never leaks.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
All it takes is a piece of tire or other debris hitting that thing and taking it all off including breaking the tank. If you want a ball valve, put a tee in and run a line sideways with a ball valve close to the edge of the trailer. If the cap is leaking, you need a better cap. All I have is a cap and it never leaks.
Its a PEX drop and not part of the tank, it would bend out of the way.

In my camper if my ball valves get hit I have bigger problems because my entire sewer system would be wiped out.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Its a PEX drop and not part of the tank, it would bend out of the way.

In my camper if my ball valves get hit I have bigger problems because my entire sewer system would be wiped out.
Not one piece of PEX in that picture that was posted in post #5. If it was PEX, it would be a different story
Old 04-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #19

vent

AEOMT: You are correct about the small screened vent hole.
I looked inside my vanity for the connections and I found a large corrugated hose and another one for shore water hookup. There was also the small hole in question, and it is actually a "dummy" port that goes nowhere.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #20

Overflow

Judging from what I have heard on this thread, the overflow is a simple back flow through the fill tube.
Please correct me if you have definitive knowledge as to where the EXACT place the overflow emanates from.

Tags
drain, fresh water, water