Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #1

fresh water tank damaged

So I've had a gaping hole in my fresh water tank since almost first owning it. I originally thought the hole was for a drain but after digging around I found wires. so I'm pretty sure it was the water pump that was torn off the tank. there is a tube hanging down as well. So it has damaged the hole significantly so I don't think attempting to put a new pump on there is going to work. I really need to replace the tank and pump assembly. Does anyone know how to find the part numbers for that or any other advice you might have.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #2

What brand and model camper do you have?

Can you post a picture of the hole and the tank? The water pumps typically are inside the camper so it seems unusual that it would be hanging from the tank in a position to be "torn off".
Old 10-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
Scoundrel

A photo of the damage would be helpful. I've never seen/heard of a water pump being co-located with the fresh water tank. I suppose anything is possible...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #4

Is this the same hole you posted about in January? Seems like the consensus in that thread was that it was for the Valterra drain valve.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nk-245739.html
Old 10-16-2022, 08:34 AM   #5

this is the same hole I posted earlier. I attempted to use marine epoxy to glue some pcv over the opening with an opening that could be opened or closed but unforunately an issue with my jack ended up putting too much pressure on it and the attempted fix tore the opening even worse. while clearing away the opening to get a better look I found two wires that had been severed and the tube hanging down which I thought was a drain tube. I believe the water pump was actually there. Side note if I turn on my water pump you hear nothing.

My rig is a 2020 cherokee grew wolf 24JS
Old 10-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #6

Generic

The tanks are generic. If you have the right dimensions, you can get a replacement from a third party. But given the missing parts, you also need photographs so you know what goes onto the two wires, where the level sensor goes, etc.

The bad news is that whether you order from Cherokee or a third-party, the new tank may not have any of the holes (inlet, vent, outlet, drain, level sensor) drilled, as they may all be drilled during assembly. That's where the pictures come in.
I'm going to flag your last post and ask the moderator to move this thread to the Cherokee area to increase the likelihood of a response from a 2020 Cherokee Gray Wolf 24JS owner.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The tanks are generic. If you have the right dimensions, you can get a replacement from a third party. But given the missing parts, you also need photographs so you know what goes onto the two wires, where the level sensor goes, etc.

The bad news is that whether you order from Cherokee or a third-party, the new tank may not have any of the holes (inlet, vent, outlet, drain, level sensor) drilled, as they may all be drilled during manufacture. That's where the pictures come in.

I'm going to flag your last post and ask the moderator to move this thread to the Cherokee area to increase the likelihood of a response from a 2020 Cherokee Gray Wolf 24JS owner.
Thread moved to the Cherokee sub-forum.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135; Booked for 2023 = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:06 AM   #8

You guys are correct about the pump. it wasn't there. I've tried turning on the water pump before, it's possible I hit the water heater instead, the two buttons are next to each other. I turned on the pump and heard a loud noise. I traced it under the sink. So I went and duck taped the hole just to see and put some water in there. I turned on the pump and it was loud but wouldn't pull water. I looked more closely and saw a shutoff valve that was never turned on. I flipped that and heard water go through the pump and it worked. I got my camper on the day of the shutdown in 2020 and I never got a walk though of how everything worked so I have to learn it all the hard way.

So my latest theory was that there was either a drain of some type or possibly a water level sensor (thus the wires) in that location that was torn off somehow. I drained the tank and put a piece of flex seal tape on it. I'm taking the camper about 30 miles this week so I'll fill the tank and see if it actually holds while moving.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:32 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad you found the pump.

You may have a difficult time finding something to adhere to the tank to seal the hole, especially now that you've made the hole larger.

Without knowing what size hole you are trying to fix (without good photos of the hole) I will suggest there are some bulkhead fittings out there that are bolt on. You use the bottom part of the bulkhead flange to mark the position on the outer part of the tank and drill holes for mounting the flange halves. Since access to the inside of the tank isn't available allowing the entire inner flange to be solid, (too big to go through the hole) the inner ring is split so you can put half of it up in the hole and install the bolts sticking down and then install the other half of the split ring. A bottom ring (with a sealing o-ring to the tank surface) then slides up over the bolts and secured with nuts. This allows for a threaded valve or shutoff to be added.

Of course, you likely could buy the proper tank assembly from the factory.

Days Camped: '18=48 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=112 '23=23
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #10

New tank

Here is a link to a supplier of fresh water tanks. Measure yours and find a match. They aren't outrageously expensive. The bad news is that probably none of the holes will be pre-drilled.

With a set of stepped drill bits like these, you can make most of opening you need, using your current tank remains as a model.

You could use a hole saw like this for the water outlet.

The tricky part will be the water-level sensors. Sometimes they are "spin-welded" into place. The sensor itself is chucked in a drill and spun against the tank until the tank melts and accepts the sensor. When it cools it is leak-free. Not sure you can do this at home. Amazon has another type that relies on a "rubber-like" seal. You drill a hole with the stepped drill, insert the sensor, and tighten it. Axial compression on the seal causes a diametric expansion, making the seal. No special tool required, just the stepped drill and a wrench.

Think carefully about placement. Some are set at 1/3, 2/3, and full. If it were me, I'd set them at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4, so I would have some extra capacity when full is indicated.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:46 PM   #11
Scoundrel

If you can get the tank to hold water, consider running fresh water through ALL of the plumbing fixtures and see how that goes. Sometimes construction debris in the plumbing will clog the fixture aerators and cause problems. Best to find that out before heading out.

Good luck on your adventure.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank