Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
This is quite untrue.
The only restrictions I've ever seen, after 20 years on various RV forums, are certain tunnels on the East Coast.
NEVER seen any state where it's illegal. Not even California! [emoji23]
I've not seen any signs that it is illegal to have LP gas on while traveling but as stated above certain tunnels etc has restrictions.
Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel requires the propane to be off -question is asked by toll attendant. DE Lewes/NJ Cape May ferry have same restriction. Pretty sure Lincoln & Holland NY/NJ tunnels have same requirements; perhaps Manhattan/Queens midtown tunnel as well.
Back to 12v dc Furrion refer, I never had issue with cooling or battery(came from factory with juice pack).
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #122

While mine appears to be working, I found that the freezer has an issue with anything on the shelf melting while anything on the bottom stays frozen.

Had Dreamsicles and fudge bars on the shelf, and now have a frozen goo of fudgesicle on the bottom.

This happened once before while we were out at a campsite, but thought maybe the door didn't seal, but in this case the door was sealed and I had checked it last week, and everything was frozen solid, and made sure the door was tightly closed, but sure enough, last Friday when we loaded up for our last trip, there was the mess. How the heck does an entire box of fudgesicles melt inside a freezer while the ice cube tray sitting next to it, and the rest of the stuff on the bottom stay frozen?

The sausages and ground beef were solid, the dreamsicles were soft and squishy when I took this picture, so I know the freezer didn't shut down at any time, it just got warm enough in the MIDDLE to melt icecream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6363[1].jpg
Views:	74
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	241128  
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #123

My dealer told me last week Furrion is not available anymore and they are being told there were so many issues with them that basically they kinda just disappeared. Everchills are being used but dealer said they have leak issues. GE and Norcolds seem to be the 12V fridges with best results according to dealer/service dept.

IDK, my 2021 Arctic Wolf has the Furrion 12V. I've always had the 3-way fridges....kinda nervous about longevity with the Furrion.
Bond_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #124

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
While mine appears to be working, I found that the freezer has an issue with anything on the shelf melting while anything on the bottom stays frozen.

Had Dreamsicles and fudge bars on the shelf, and now have a frozen goo of fudgesicle on the bottom.

This happened once before while we were out at a campsite, but thought maybe the door didn't seal, but in this case the door was sealed and I had checked it last week, and everything was frozen solid, and made sure the door was tightly closed, but sure enough, last Friday when we loaded up for our last trip, there was the mess. How the heck does an entire box of fudgesicles melt inside a freezer while the ice cube tray sitting next to it, and the rest of the stuff on the bottom stay frozen?

The sausages and ground beef were solid, the dreamsicles were soft and squishy when I took this picture, so I know the freezer didn't shut down at any time, it just got warm enough in the MIDDLE to melt icecream!
These Furrion's are a real joy! It's the end of my season and haven't had a working properly fridge all summer. They told me it could be another year B4 I see it fixed. I'm so happy I could pee! This weekend I had to turn it all the way up to keep milk from spoiling and managed to keep it between 38 & 46 however the freezer maintained -34 to -17. My ice cream needed a jack hammer to bite!! But better than melted goo I spose. As a side note my water tank fell out this trip, I don't know how they can make such pieces of --- well you know! I'm up to 23 items for warranty repair now. Never had a single issue with the 20 yr. old one I traded.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #125

Agree Stevemal....we sold a very good Jayco with no problems. Our Cherokee Arctic Wolf has been the most problem riddled RV I have ever owned! Our unit has spent more time at dealer/service than in our driveway!!!!
Bond_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
These Furrion's are a real joy! It's the end of my season and haven't had a working properly fridge all summer. They told me it could be another year B4 I see it fixed. I'm so happy I could pee! This weekend I had to turn it all the way up to keep milk from spoiling and managed to keep it between 38 & 46 however the freezer maintained -34 to -17. My ice cream needed a jack hammer to bite!! But better than melted goo I spose. As a side note my water tank fell out this trip, I don't know how they can make such pieces of --- well you know! I'm up to 23 items for warranty repair now. Never had a single issue with the 20 yr. old one I traded.

I hear ya, mine has been working well for everything EXCEPT the middle of the freezer, makes my brain hurt trying to figure that one out. It will not run more than 6 hours on battery though before shutting off, so much for 72 hours on battery. My last trailer was a simple, no slide Coleman 274BH, only repair I made in 4 years was replacing the main 30/15 main breaker when the screw that was way over-tightened loosened up. Put a lot of use into that trailer, never had a reefer issue, stove issue, WH issue, AC issue, nothing but the usual weak construction needing to be braced up after so many miles in a hurriquake.

My new 3660 has had 3 cables replaced on two slides already, a few things replaced due to damage, over tightened a trim ring and cracked it, face plate on the radio damaged by someone wiping it down with a solvent, little things like that, but there are still a couple things that need to be repaired still, one may require replacing the actual slide since it was not built square at the corner of the wall and roof and has a large gap between the wall and seal when fully extended, and the floor bounces a lot in the living area. Aside from these two issues though, we really like the trailer and it is working out very well for us, except for the fridge. I can't trust it, so will try what I can to get it replaced with one of the other brands. Will see.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #127

Quote:
I hear ya, mine has been working well for everything EXCEPT the middle of the freezer, makes my brain hurt trying to figure that one out. It will not run more than 6 hours on battery though before shutting off, so much for 72 hours on battery. My last trailer was a simple, no slide Coleman 274BH, only repair I made in 4 years was replacing the main 30/15 main breaker when the screw that was way over-tightened loosened up. Put a lot of use into that trailer, never had a reefer issue, stove issue, WH issue, AC issue, nothing but the usual weak construction needing to be braced up after so many miles in a hurriquake.

My new 3660 has had 3 cables replaced on two slides already, a few things replaced due to damage, over tightened a trim ring and cracked it, face plate on the radio damaged by someone wiping it down with a solvent, little things like that, but there are still a couple things that need to be repaired still, one may require replacing the actual slide since it was not built square at the corner of the wall and roof and has a large gap between the wall and seal when fully extended, and the floor bounces a lot in the living area. Aside from these two issues though, we really like the trailer and it is working out very well for us, except for the fridge. I can't trust it, so will try what I can to get it replaced with one of the other brands. Will see.
Yup---My salesman told me the fridge would go 7 days on the battery with the 50W solar. I didn't pay much mind to it because I just assumed it also ran on propane. I get about 9 hours and then run the generator for 12 or so. to make it thru the next nite. The water tank falling down on the axle this weekend was a real treat! It never held more than 1/3rd anyhow as the other 2/3rds drained out the vent while driving. They tell me this is normal. It had no brakes either when delivered, they were backed all the way off.I'm about to have brake failure on my truck and deliver both right thru the front door. I've been dealing with these issues since May, and just got an e-mail from the dealer indicating still haven't even ordered the parts yet.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #128

Whoa, the brakes on mine were the same!!! In fact I still have one drum that I don't think is working, but haven't driven it enough, or should say, braked enough to take another measurement to find out if it is working yet. I use an Infrared thermometer on each tire, hub and drum to verify all is working well and last time I had done enough braking to actually heat them up I found one was ambient, no warmer then the wheel bearings.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #129
JSP

I drop mine off tomorrow for a new fridge. No idea what brand they are putting in. I told them I need it back in time to winterize and they said they would winterize it for free while they have it. Doesn't make up for a whole first season with no fridge, juice pack or radio..not to mention 6 months of payments.. but the gesture was nice. Saves me about an hour of time and $5.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #130

Quote:
Whoa, the brakes on mine were the same!!! In fact I still have one drum that I don't think is working, but haven't driven it enough, or should say, braked enough to take another measurement to find out if it is working yet. I use an Infrared thermometer on each tire, hub and drum to verify all is working well and last time I had done enough braking to actually heat them up I found one was ambient, no warmer then the wheel bearings.
Yeh---My first clue was the smoke from my front brakes on the truck with the controller turned all the way up! The adjusters were backed all the way off! My bearings, knock on wood, have been running cold. Not liking the concave tire tread too much though! I don't want to buy new tires yet as we may just take our losses and send this one down the road. That's if they'll give a trade-in on it. Can't sell it outright with all the issues having not been fixed.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #131
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I drop mine off tomorrow for a new fridge. No idea what brand they are putting in. I told them I need it back in time to winterize and they said they would winterize it for free while they have it. Doesn't make up for a whole first season with no fridge, juice pack or radio..not to mention 6 months of payments.. but the gesture was nice. Saves me about an hour of time and $5.
So.. got my camper back. The replacement fridge was damaged in shipping so the dealer decided to pull one from a different job and put it in mine. I didn't know this until later. I also read it was a 6 month replacement timeline. I ended up with a GE unit...9.8 Cf. Problem is the door opens the opposite way of the original.. makes it hard to open the door while standing in front of it. They said they could reverse the door but they would need to pull the fridge back out. I decided I will just suck in my gut when I open the door. I really don't want to deal with it anymore. I may do it myself later.

Also got a new Furrion radio.. hope it lasts at least 6 months.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #132

They should have included the manual, it has instructions for reversing the doors.

Well, I think mine is FUBAR too. I had it running for several weeks since we got back from our last trip in October. I have a scheduled drop off on the 4th this week, so went to clean up the slop in the freezer from when the ice cream bars on the middle shelf melted. I had a package of sausage and package of ground beef frozen to the bottom that I couldn't free up, so left it, since it was still frozen and didn't make any changes to the controls. When I went to free them up yesterday, I found they were defrosted, still cold, the sausages were defrosted, the ground beef frozen, but soft on top. the sludge from the ice cream completely melted.

The internal temp of the trailer was 47*, and I had the slides closed all that time. The fridge was basically at room temp. I haven't touched the controls, cleaned up the mess, and will see what it is like on Wednesday when I drop it off. Of course I will bitch up a storm now that it not only has melted ice cream on the middle shelf but also completely defrosted everything when it sat for a couple weeks. My last one I could leave it on shore power all summer and never have to worry if it would thaw, in fact at times I needed to leave it open for a while to help warm it a bit because it got things REALLY frozen!

BTW leaving the doors open while cleaning it for an hour and not once did the compressor kick on, fans were silent.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:09 AM   #133

There is a reason Rockwood stopped putting these fridges in their Mini trailers now. If you get a Rockwood Mini now ordered with a 12V fridge, you get a Hot Point which is basically an Everchill.
bradbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #134

Propane restrictions v real world dangers

Quote:
This is quite untrue.
The only restrictions I've ever seen, after 20 years on various RV forums, are certain tunnels on the East Coast.
NEVER seen any state where it's illegal. Not even California! [emoji23]
Still, towing with propane refrigerator running comes with many dangers. Lines are vulnerable to road debris, and accident damage. Refueling at a gas station can be hazardous. The number one location for RV fires is the engine compartment...the number two location is the propane refrigerator. Something about using fire to cool a refrigerator never sat well with me. Happy with the 12 vdc refrigerator. Can dry camp for 2 nights but camp mostly with hookups. 190 watt panel on the roof and if I need more will add more it is worth it. Feels safer to me.
pg12572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #135
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg12572 View Post
The number one location for RV fires is the engine compartment...the number two location is the propane refrigerator.
So if engine compartment fires are #1, should no one buy a motorhome and only have a trailer?
Everyone has the right to deal with their own safety. I just wanted to point out there aren't the kind of restrictions many claim.
And RV propane fridges have been around for over 50 years, probably 75 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg12572 View Post
Still, towing with propane refrigerator running comes with many dangers. Lines are vulnerable to road debris, and accident damage. Refueling at a gas station can be hazardous. The number one location for RV fires is the engine compartment...the number two location is the propane refrigerator. Something about using fire to cool a refrigerator never sat well with me. Happy with the 12 vdc refrigerator. Can dry camp for 2 nights but camp mostly with hookups. 190 watt panel on the roof and if I need more will add more it is worth it. Feels safer to me.

Camping since early 50's.......first MH in '84 had a 3-way fridge.

Got another ten or so years later....ac or LP ONLY. Dealer said manufacturers discontinued the DC choice, because too many folks killed their batteries.

My response was: "If they are that stoooopid, they deserve problems".

Anyway...most recent RV had the furry-on residential fridge.

Amazing.....what a fridge should always have been. They are an improvement over the ac/gas fridge in the same way that motorhomes are over tents.

......travel on.......
Old 02-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
Camping since early 50's.......first MH in '84 had a 3-way fridge.

Got another ten or so years later....ac or LP ONLY. Dealer said manufacturers discontinued the DC choice, because too many folks killed their batteries.

My response was: "If they are that stoooopid, they deserve problems".

Anyway...most recent RV had the furry-on residential fridge.

Amazing.....what a fridge should always have been. They are an improvement over the ac/gas fridge in the same way that motorhomes are over tents.

......travel on.......
Provided they actually work. Had mine 3 months, and had to have it replaced. In fact, it is still in the shop since Nov 4th due to the backorders.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #138
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
And RV propane fridges have been around for over 50 years, probably 75 years.
Since 1923.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #139

Quote:
Provided they actually work. Had mine 3 months, and had to have it replaced. In fact, it is still in the shop since Nov 4th due to the backorders.
I think they'll get there, and COVID isn't helping.

It's hard for a battery to do better than the thermal energy in a propane tank. Maybe with lots of solar panels and lots of good solar days, the difference doesn't matter. Most people don't always have both.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Post #10 explains the reasons for going to 12 volt refrigerators. Money. No roof penetration, no sidewall penetration, no propane line, no 120 volt line. One 12 volt connection gets made, and shove the refrigerator in the cabinet hole. Done. On some models they didn’t even bother to put in a switch to be able to turn off the refrigerator.
I don't think my 2021 Wolf PUP 16 BHS has a switch to turn off the fridge. I was doing some work in the trailer and had the power switch on- using battery/solar the unit was not plugged in- and the fridge was running. I couldn't figure how to it off.
AmyKKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge