Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
Here's a link I found on Google for Canon, didn't check out however: http://canonappliances.com/product-category/refrigeration/?type=list&posts_per_page=24&orderby=price-desc

Not to P on your parade, but Cannon can't be any worse than Furrion. If it at least works, you're ahead. The Furrion stereo isn't. It is a "mono"
Hey, thanks Stevemal, this helps. With the added info on the audio being mono only...maybe I'm lucking out with my timing then!
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #102

Well, this makes me feel better (SARCASM)

CANON APPLIANCE
CONTACT US
22-A, Queens Road, Lahroe Country: Pakistan
Old 09-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #103

Geez, That's just wonderful !! Maybe that's what I'm going to end up with. Some have stated getting theirs replaced with a GE or an Everchill. I'm hoping for the Everchill. Still dumbfounded they would put a 12V only fridge in a camper. I've never run my generator so much!! Wishing you the best.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
... Still dumbfounded they would put a 12V only fridge in a camper. I've never run my generator so much!! Wishing you the best.
I think it's an okay idea but premature. The performance and reliability of the refrigerators isn't there yet and trailer manufacturers have not yet provided suitable batteries (LiFePO4) and adequate solar systems as standard equipment. Without that, it's a non-starter.

I'm glad I don't have one but look forward to the technology maturing by the time we'd have need to consider it.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:29 PM   #105

12v fridges have been around for years in the marine environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I think it's an okay idea but premature. The performance and reliability of the refrigerators isn't there yet and trailer manufacturers have not yet provided suitable batteries (LiFePO4) and adequate solar systems as standard equipment. Without that, it's a non-starter.

I'm glad I don't have one but look forward to the technology maturing by the time we'd have need to consider it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:19 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
12v fridges have been around for years in the marine environment.
Adoption by the RV industry doesn't seem to be going well but I assume it will improve.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #107

Well gang, here's a big announcement (maybe I should post this somewhere else, this seems to affect all of Forest River).

I emailed Heather Evenson, the listed sales rep on Forest River's website. I sent her a message last night at 8pm central, and she replied right away this morning.

LOTS of changes coming and Furrion is OUT:

Heather Evenson
Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 8:25 AM
To: Paul

We decided after the issues we experienced with Furrion we wanted something better for our end user so we upgraded each item.

Cannon is the upgrade to the Everchill series. With the customer concerns we decided to upgrade to a better product. The example is the Cannon refer- it is a frost free model meaning it has a fan that moves the air between freezer and refrigerator, that doesn’t have the mold issues that our customers were experiencing. It also goes from an 10 to 11 cub foot refer. The refrigerator also does not make anywhere near the amount of noise that the Furrion does. The fan was so loud we constantly had complaints. The other big issue was the unit put out an enormous amount of heat and they pushed that through to the front bottom of the refrigerator thus making that area of the unit very hot and uncomfortable. The radio is from DB research out of Ohio. They are the largest aftermarket radio manufacturer in the US. The design of the Furrion was actually based off the DB research Drive design. The LIT prep we decided to go with a new distribution because of the lack of being able to get them to the end consumer.

The solar is actually more expandable than the Furrion. Furrion would only let you do a second 50 panel. The new system allows an additional 100 to be added if needed.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #108

It's fine if you use a proven fridge. We had a norcold in our boat. Worked fine for years until we sold it.

How many 12v fridges have you heard of people having problems with failing other than Furrion? Most people that complain about how they work, just have a problem calculating how much power they use and don't use proper battery capacity, solar or other charging methods.
Quote:
Adoption by the RV industry doesn't seem to be going well but I assume it will improve.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #109

Quote:
It's fine if you use a proven fridge. We had a norcold in our boat. Worked fine for years until we sold it.

How many 12v fridges have you heard of people having problems with failing other than Furrion? Most people that complain about how they work, just have a problem calculating how much power they use and don't use proper battery capacity, solar or other charging methods.
I agree, but manufacturers provide solar systems standard in conjunction with the 12V refrigerators, with the implication that they're enough, but they're not.

I understand that they can work well, and many do, and that it requires adequate battery and solar capacity. I'm just saying that it's early in the transition to 12V refrigerators in the RV industry, and will take awhile until manufacturers are offering systems that will work for inexperienced buyers as well as those buyers have a right to expect. After all, if they buy a trailer with a propane refrigerator and know nothing about it, they don't have to buy anything more to make it work well.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:31 PM   #110

Quote:
I agree, but manufacturers provide solar systems standard in conjunction with the 12V refrigerators, with the implication that they're enough, but they're not.

I understand that they can work well, and many do, and that it requires adequate battery and solar capacity. I'm just saying that it's early in the transition to 12V refrigerators in the RV industry, and will take awhile until manufacturers are offering systems that will work for inexperienced buyers as well as those buyers have a right to expect. After all, if they buy a trailer with a propane refrigerator and know nothing about it, they don't have to buy anything more to make it work well.
That is true. The problem is you need to do your homework, figure out what they draw, and then put in enough battery and solar that is appropriate.

Has nothing to do with technology. The technology is fine. Its a 12V compressor! How simple can you get?
Old 10-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #111

Got to walk through a 2021 16BHS today. Furrion has definitely been purged. Cannon fridge looks interesting. No "off-grid" setting I can see, a little worried about that. Label sows 11A draw.

No external solar panel port even with a Juice Pack option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_100148172~2.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	240502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_102111127_HDR~2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	240503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_100031450.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	240504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_100113587.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	240505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_100105516.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	240506  

Old 10-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #112
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
Got to walk through a 2021 16BHS today. Furrion has definitely been purged. Cannon fridge looks interesting. No "off-grid" setting I can see, a little worried about that. Label sows 11A draw.

No external solar panel port even with a Juice Pack option.
Is that charge controller mounted on the trailer? Honestly, I've never used the solar port. I have a connection inside the front storage area that I plug into.... just inside the door.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #113

The model number on that Cannon fridge nameplate is the same model number as EverChill and Maytag. I guess all three are buying from the same factory. It seems most of the 12v fridges are using the same compressor manufacturer as well since they all pull 11 amps. If they were using the Dometic or Danforth 12v compressors they would have a different rating.

Our first camping trip out was 7 days and the Everchill worked like a champ. We were on 30 amp at night but during the day I only saw a 20% drawdown on the no name dealer installed Group 27 ‘deep cycle marine’ battery over a 11 hour period. With a real set of Trojan batteries I should be able to get 2 days with no input.

Oh some of you have questioned wether the a Furrion 50 watt solar panel is of any use. I have found it runs the propane and CO detectors perfectly well, just don’t turn on a light.
SantaFe big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #114
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFe big sky View Post
The model number on that Cannon fridge nameplate is the same model number as EverChill and Maytag. I guess all three are buying from the same factory. It seems most of the 12v fridges are using the same compressor manufacturer as well since they all pull 11 amps. If they were using the Dometic or Danforth 12v compressors they would have a different rating.

Our first camping trip out was 7 days and the Everchill worked like a champ. We were on 30 amp at night but during the day I only saw a 20% drawdown on the no name dealer installed Group 27 ‘deep cycle marine’ battery over a 11 hour period. With a real set of Trojan batteries I should be able to get 2 days with no input.

Oh some of you have questioned wether the a Furrion 50 watt solar panel is of any use. I have found it runs the propane and CO detectors perfectly well, just don’t turn on a light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFe big sky View Post
The model number on that Cannon fridge nameplate is the same model number as EverChill and Maytag. I guess all three are buying from the same factory.
They all probably come the same factory in China. The factory will put whatever name brand the customer wants. Epecially defunct American brands, like GE, Bell & Howell and Kodak.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Is that charge controller mounted on the trailer? Honestly, I've never used the solar port. I have a connection inside the front storage area that I plug into.... just inside the door.
Yep, stares right at you when you lift up the bed and get into storage.

I was all about getting some extra 100W panels and give it a go when I go trout fishing off the grid, but without the port I won't bother. The minute anyone mentions "drill" or "after market mount" I drift away...🤣
Old 10-03-2020, 11:16 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Epecially defunct American brands, like GE, Bell & Howell and Kodak.
GE is a defunct brand? What makes you say that? The Profile line is one of the higher level of quality when you buy appliances! GE appliances have over a 20% market share!
Old 10-04-2020, 12:51 AM   #117
Site Team

Quote:
GE is a defunct brand? What makes you say that? The Profile line is one of the higher level of quality when you buy appliances! GE appliances have over a 20% market share!
Sorry, i meant that the GE RV fridges are made in China.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #118
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Post #10 explains the reasons for going to 12 volt refrigerators. Money. No roof penetration, no sidewall penetration, no propane line, no 120 volt line. One 12 volt connection gets made, and shove the refrigerator in the cabinet hole. Done. On some models they didn’t even bother to put in a switch to be able to turn off the refrigerator.
This is the benefit. I have the 10CF DC only Furrion fridge and I am still figuring it out but yes, there are no roof vents or side vents. Mine in particular is a DC ONLY fridge. No 120v or gas. As I do miss having the gas as an option for boondocking and I think gas is way better than DC is, DC seems to be a little better than it was only a few years ago. I ran DC on my GAS fridge in my hybrid and it killed the batter after just an hour or so. With this Furrion Model, the discuss all the new technology used to make DC better. I have used the low echo setting on the fridge, which is really just the second dot from off, and got my fridge cold in a few hours ready for loading without ever plugging into shore power. I do have the juice pack with the 50amp panel on the roof so this helps. I have not tested the longevity of running solely on battery and for how long. however I have considered Lithium to help. With three boys and a total of 5 people plus any guests, having this larger fridge is awesome!
One of the other benefits, and I know most of us is guilty, is with no gas hooked up, running the fridge while traveling is "legally" possible. Most states it's illegal to travel while running the fridge on gas. and if you don't have a three way fridge, most people do have gas on. With a DC refrigerator, you do not have to be level for it to work.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #119
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Most states it's illegal to travel while running the fridge on gas.
This is quite untrue.
The only restrictions I've ever seen, after 20 years on various RV forums, are certain tunnels on the East Coast.
NEVER seen any state where it's illegal. Not even California! [emoji23]
Old 10-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #120

Quote:

But owned by the Chinese Company, Haier Group.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge