Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #41

I had the champion in my wish list on amazon. Today it dropped down from $719 to $596 so I jumped on it and ordered it. Just in time for camping season.
kfcflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #42

3100W pull start....

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...=champion+3400
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post

That's it. I saw it earlier this year for $566 but figured didn't want to chance missing it. Would also have liked to score the remote start but I'm not that lazy lol.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #44

Used mine this weekend for the first time camping and it was great. Had a guy across from me with a Harbor Freight "Honda" it was the loudest thing I've ever heard in a campground. By the way the Champions are easy to pull and start on the first pull. Very quiet on econo mode. I love it so far.
Bob
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaloo View Post
Used mine this weekend for the first time camping and it was great. Had a guy across from me with a Harbor Freight "Honda" it was the loudest thing I've ever heard in a campground. By the way the Champions are easy to pull and start on the first pull. Very quiet on econo mode. I love it so far.
Bob

Nice to hear
Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #46

So, I've got a similar one, but it's dual fuel which is handy since I can run it on propane. This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...fuel+generator

I wasn't sure if the propane would be strong enough to run the AC but I just tried it this weekend and it worked great!

My question now is, can I somehow connect this generator to the LPG quick connect on the trailer? The generator has its own hose (with quick connect) and its own regulator. But my understanding is that the regulators only purpose is to convert from high pressure to low pressure, and the trailer has its own regulator which essentially does the same thing. In theory, I wonder if I can't just get a simple low pressure quick connect hose and go directly from the trailer to the generator with no additional regulator.

Has anyone tried anything like this before?
paulbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #47

I have been looking at buying 2 of the Honda 2000 watt generators to parallel together so we could run the A/C unit but I just can't justify the 2000 dollars + the cord. Our new Surveyor 243RBS has a 13,500 btu A/C and 95 % of the time we will have electric service so this unit might just be the right unit. The only problem is the weight as I am pretty limited on what I can pick up. If its still on Amazon tomorrow I will probably get it. Thanks for the info, Boomer.
Boomer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #48

Manual start $596 on Amazon with a like new 510

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbram View Post
So, I've got a similar one, but it's dual fuel which is handy since I can run it on propane. This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...fuel+generator

I wasn't sure if the propane would be strong enough to run the AC but I just tried it this weekend and it worked great!

My question now is, can I somehow connect this generator to the LPG quick connect on the trailer? The generator has its own hose (with quick connect) and its own regulator. But my understanding is that the regulators only purpose is to convert from high pressure to low pressure, and the trailer has its own regulator which essentially does the same thing. In theory, I wonder if I can't just get a simple low pressure quick connect hose and go directly from the trailer to the generator with no additional regulator.

Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Don't see why not.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #50

Fired up he generator today. Have to say pleased with the noise level for price point today. However...when I went to fire up the ac it would kick in and then go into overload mode. I know some people mentioned breaking these things in, but didn't see anything in manual. Any real world suggestions. I know this model champion 3100 will run my ac because my buddy has the same setup. It's the 13.5 btu
Old 06-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #51

Noise and Fuel Consumption are important

Nothing is worse than being next to a guy that runs a generator loud enough to scare bears 5 miles away. A good neighbor has a quiet generator and knows when quiet hours are.

Having said this I have a Yamaha 1000 Watt inverter for non-A/C use and a Honda EU2000i for bigger loads. Our mountain sites are generally over 8000' in elevation so A/C is never used.

Hauling a lot of gas in cans takes space and can be dangerous. The smaller inverter style generators can run hours on a gallon of gas.

Just something to consider. Whatever you buy, get spare sparkplugs. If you have them, you will never need them.
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
Nothing is worse than being next to a guy that runs a generator loud enough to scare bears 5 miles away. A good neighbor has a quiet generator and knows when quiet hours are.

Having said this I have a Yamaha 1000 Watt inverter for non-A/C use and a Honda EU2000i for bigger loads. Our mountain sites are generally over 8000' in elevation so A/C is never used.

Hauling a lot of gas in cans takes space and can be dangerous. The smaller inverter style generators can run hours on a gallon of gas.

Just something to consider. Whatever you buy, get spare sparkplugs. If you have them, you will never need them.
Which is why a dual fuel lpg inverter is perfect for me. No need to deal with messy gasoline when my rig already has propane.
paulbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #53

After a stay in a Wal-Mart with no a.c., I've got one of those digital hybrid generators on order, shipping to the campground we'll be staying at for a week in Az.
Never again.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #54

Champion states that you must run the unit for 5 hours at a variable load before using. Also no synthetic oil during this time, change oil after and can use syn if wanted. I used a 1500 watt heater and set in on medium and it varied the rpms. No problems with mine
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #55
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
After a stay in a Wal-Mart with no a.c., I've got one of those digital hybrid generators on order, shipping to the campground we'll be staying at for a week in Az.
Never again.
It will be interesting to hear your first hand report on the noise levels.

Those hybrids are new enough I've not seen or heard one yet.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #56

Running on low pressure LPG might not work.

There is really no standard for what pressure the low pressure LPG should be set at. Most propane appliances are looking for 11-14" of water (about 6 oz of pressure). The engine may require more than this. I guess you could measure the pressure at the carb and see what it is supplying - or try it and see how it runs. Remember that generators running on propane can not deliver the same power output (watts) as one on gasoline. Propane will run about 10% less than gas.

A 5000 watt generator (non-inverter) running at half load will burn about 1 gallon of propane per hour. Inverter style generators will burn a bit less fuel.
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #57

So quick review of the champion 3100 generator. It does power our air conditioning units. I just got it a few weeks ago. Had been stalking amazon and picked it up when the price dropped to $595. At first when I tried it out at the house it was overloading when the ac turned on. But I turned all electric items off, made sure everything was unplugged and even turned off the breaker for the fridge, microwave and water heater. Generator turned on and the ac cranked. Then turned the breakers back on and still ran fine. Even runs in Econ mode. Having the power will allow me to broaden my camping horizons. I have 2017 cherokee 274dbhClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	141886Attachment 1
Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #58

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	141888
Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #59

Nice job!

Just beware of eco mode. Once the ac compressor cycles off, it will surge again when it turns back on. This is an issue with any genny.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #60

Just returned from first dry camping trip with new generator. Absolutely loved it. Powered entire trailer with no issues including ac. Buddy in next site has 2 Honda 2000 in parallel and his noise was way louder than mine. Very happy with purchase and pleased to be able to expand my camping places to go. Also added a hour meter so I can maintain proper maintenance schedule. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	143407

Tags
generator